Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2021, 16:23   #3586
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I have an ancient 2003 Sony CMT-NEZ30 Audio Micro System with CD Player, Cassette Deck, and AM/FM Tuner but have misplaced the remote.
If it is still relevant, there are apps that can be used to make the mobile phone to function as a remote control. Such apps support innumerable models of the respective gadgets. One needs to patiently find the correct settings.

For my Toshiba TV, the remote stopped working after over a decade. Initially I searched for a replacement but then downloaded such an app, and it works fine.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 03:51   #3587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
any feedback from fellow BHPians on Sony HT-Z9F+Z9R wrt audio quality when used to listen to audio songs only.
You're not going to like it one bit. For music, get a pair of Edifier speakers with wireless bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodVarun View Post
In fact, even I am looking for a review for Sony HT-Z9F 5.1Ch 4k Dolby Atmos Soundbar for TV with Surround Speakers.Are they decent for setting up a suitable home theatre for the living room?
Its okay for home theater. Its not a replacement for a dedicated setup. If space is tight and you don't have the luxury of wires going up to the roof or anywhere in the house, get a sound bar.

If budget isn't an issue, it is possible to buy speakers with Atmos integration. Its basically a loudspeaker with an Atmos speaker fitted above the main speaker and will work similar to the sound bar, that is, reflecting sound waves of the roof. This way you're not running wires to the roof, just to the main speakers. A sound bar will do the same thing but with a dedicated loudspeakers is of a higher quality than any sound bar.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st November 2021 at 03:53.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 13:39   #3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
If you are looking for Atmos effects then don't bother as the soundbar lacks upward firing speakers/drivers. The vertical height virtualization is pure marketing hype. You can look at the Jbl bar 9.1 or the more expensive Samsung q950 for better atmos performance and soundstage. Though they will never match a ceiling speaker setup.
Thank you so much. Will take this into account.

Slightly off-topic, but have you are anyone else been able to offload their smart TVs or home theatres for a reasonable price? How do you go about it?
Old 7th November 2021, 10:23   #3589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodVarun View Post
In fact, even I am looking for a review for Sony HT-Z9F 5.1Ch 4k Dolby Atmos Soundbar for TV with Surround Speakers.
Are they decent for setting up a suitable home theatre for the living room?
Quote:
You can look at the Jbl bar 9.1 or the more expensive Samsung q950 for better atmos performance and soundstage. Though they will never match a ceiling speaker setup.
I have been doing a similar research on Sound Bars for a relative for his Apartment that cannot accommodate a full blown setup and arrived at the same three models mentioned here.

1. Sony Z9F
2. JBL Bar 9.1
3. Samsung Q950A

The Rear Speakers provided by JBL Bar 9.1 are rechargeable but the downside is the batteries within them are not replaceable. The entire Speaker pair needs to be replaced and they come with an approx. 5 years life rating. Also JBL after sales service is terrible based on some of the India based reviews that I have seen. This made us to eliminate JBL Bar 9.1..

We are now deciding between the Z9F and Samsung Q950A and leaning more towards the Q950A as of now. The Z9F is an old model now and Sony would be releasing their newer model in India which is the HT-A7000 (Link)

Check the Rtings.com for the Top Soundbars Reviews here: Link

Planning for demo of both Sony and the Samsung before deciding on the final choice.
Old 7th November 2021, 12:27   #3590
BHPian

Yep there were a few bad reviews regarding the service.But I took the plunge and mine is working well. Also got it for 76k from amazon.Regarding the rear batteries they can be powered by a usb cable and there are a few diy videos on how to replace it

No doubt the Samsung 950 is the best however did not get a good price for it. The LG sp11ra has similar specs but isn't available in India. However all these are no match for a receiver speaker combo which can be brought for a similar price
Old 7th November 2021, 12:53   #3591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No doubt the Samsung 950 is the best however did not get a good price for it. The LG sp11ra has similar specs but isn't available in India. However all these are no match for a receiver speaker combo which can be brought for a similar price
Had gone to take demo of the systems today, however none of the local stores had the Samsung Q950A for Demo. Visited Devi International, Reliance Digital and Croma. Reliance Digital & Devi International quoted ₹1.01 L as their best and final price.

Finally landed a steal deal at Croma Store for ₹74,000/- after some discounts on Credit Card for the Samsung Q950A. The item was not in stock locally but they found a store in Ahmedabad having stock and ordered from there. So it would be home delivered after a week or 10 days. Not sure how Croma is managing at such a huge price differential. The online price kind of shows the same as well (Link).

The Home Theater thread-samsung.png

Will update once the item is delivered and setup on the performance.
The Soundbar would be paired with a Sony OLED A80J 55" which my relative purchased a few days back.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 7th November 2021 at 13:06.
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 13:36   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Finally landed a steal deal at Croma Store for ₹74,000/- after some discounts on Credit Card for the Samsung Q950A. The item was not in stock locally but they found a store in Ahmedabad having stock and ordered from there. So it would be home delivered after a week or 10 days. Not sure how Croma is managing at such a huge price differential. The online price kind of shows the same as well
This is an amazing deal and around 40% cheaper than US prices if you include the credit card offers as well. My only suspicion at this price is - the two rear speakers are not included at this price. Otherwise, its a banger of a deal and a must buy at this price even if you later retail it on OLX

As for me, this might just be the time to scratch that long-pending itch for soundbar-based HT.
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 18:26   #3593
Senior - BHPian

You wont believe I was angling for this Soundbar few months back and the very best pricing I got in my city was 1,04,000 (Devi Intl). Croma has sold out, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
This is an amazing deal and around 40% cheaper than US prices if you include the credit card offers as well. My only suspicion at this price is - the two rear speakers are not included at this price.
Old 7th November 2021, 22:04   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You wont believe I was angling for this Soundbar few months back and the very best pricing I got in my city was 1,04,000 (Devi Intl). Croma has sold out, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
Not sure if you read my post fully. It was Out of Stock at the local Croma store and Online as well for Bangalore Pin Codes.

But the Croma person checked inventory for Croma Ahmedabad Store and ordered it for us. But then again, we have to see if the offer continues post today as he said today was the last day for the Diwali Offers.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 22:08   #3595
BHPian

Thats a terrific deal. Saw the same price on the site but they don't deliver to my place. The 900 model was retailing for 66k on Tata cliq but it doesn't have satellites. It can be added later though as a seperate addon.

Last edited by tomraven99 : 7th November 2021 at 22:09.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 05:54   #3596
Senior - BHPian

Croma does this most of the time. They put up mouthwatering prices, but when you try to procure it's just not available. If you do get it, please post one review
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
It was Out of Stock at the local Croma store and Online as well for Bangalore Pin Codes. But the Croma person checked inventory for Croma Ahmedabad Store and ordered it for us. But then again, we have to see if the offer continues post today as he said today was the last day for the Diwali Offers.
Old 8th November 2021, 08:26   #3597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Croma does this most of the time. They put up mouthwatering prices, but when you try to procure it's just not available. If you do get it, please post one review
Checked again in the morning - looks like the Deal is gone and last day was yesterday.
The Home Theater thread-croma_offer.png

They have billed it for us - so it has to work. Wait and watch for the delivery now...
Old 28th December 2021, 09:02   #3598
BHPian

Do you know what is the max audio quality that YouTube Rental movies provide ?
I observed that there is no Dolby stream passthrough, though the rental movie says HD.

However with Amazon Prime Video you do get the full Dolby Digital / + audio passthrough.
Old 17th January 2022, 13:08   #3599
BHPian

Hi All,

Is there a way to verify your 5.1 setup?
YouTube has so many videos labeled 5.1 but they are really just stereo since YouTube doesn't support surround sound.
I found some articles online about specific movie scenes which should sound great on a surround sound setup but those are mostly about appeciating proper surround sound than actually verifying if the setup works properly.

Is there any way to specifically test out each channel of the speakers to verify that the setup works?

About my setup, I have my TV sending out optical audio (TOSLINK) to a Optical to 5.1 converter (a DAC).
I have connected my 7years old F&D F6000u to it.
Old 17th January 2022, 17:16   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Hi All,

Is there a way to verify your 5.1 setup?
YouTube has so many videos labeled 5.1 but they are really just stereo since YouTube doesn't support surround sound.
I found some articles online about specific movie scenes which should sound great on a surround sound setup but those are mostly about appeciating proper surround sound than actually verifying if the setup works properly.

Is there any way to specifically test out each channel of the speakers to verify that the setup works?

About my setup, I have my TV sending out optical audio (TOSLINK) to a Optical to 5.1 converter (a DAC).
I have connected my 7years old F&D F6000u to it.
You could try sites like these:

https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

Please verify site before you download the files. I just did a quick google.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks