Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 11:03   #3481
BANNED

Hi friends, the Edifier brand was suggested almost a year back to somebody.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07MXRK7G8/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If anybody owns / knows about these, will appreciate inputs on use with streaming content (Amazon Prime Video / YouTube etc). I think I'll have to use optical out from my TV to these,since the speakers dont have HDMI. I can't find any active 2.0 (or even 2.1) which support HDMI input. At lower end of price spectrum, only sound bars seem to support HDMI, but posts here are keeping me away from sound bars.

This is a rented place, so dont want to spend much.
Old 27th October 2020, 11:38   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hi friends, the Edifier brand was suggested almost a
Why do you feel the need to have an HDMI in connection in the active speakers? There is no need of any processing or audio codecs that need tuning.The tv as a simple source changer works well.

I am assuming your purpose is to basically improve the TV sound and for that optical out is perfect. Stay away from soundbars.

Edifier is okay. There is Q acoustics with BT40 and the Swans have a model that is a cracker.
Of course you have KEF if budget is substantial.

As an alternative Onkyo has some nice HTIB'S.

Last edited by bigron : 27th October 2020 at 11:39.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 14:38   #3483
BHPian

Can someone share experience with q acoustics 3090ci/ 3020i speakers? Will it be an upgrade for my onkyo ht 580 setup with stock speakers?
Old 29th October 2020, 18:50   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Can someone share experience with q acoustics 3090ci/ 3020i speakers? Will it be an upgrade for my onkyo ht 580 setup with stock speakers?
I am using Q Acoustic Concept 20 and Concept center speaker, pretty happy with it. In my opinion Q acoustics are pretty musical and warm sounding speakers, I feel they are better for music than movies so if you are looking for something that's not too much in your face this is a good buy
Old 7th December 2020, 21:19   #3485
BHPian

I'm looking for a decent soundbar with sub-woofer in Rs12k price range. Important point is that none of my TVs have HDMI ARC. I have shortlisted Pioneer SBX-101 Wireless Sounbar with sub woofer. Seems better than cheaper versions of Blaupunkt, infinity, JBL. If some audio experts can throw some light - it would be great. I'm not an audiophile per se, but need an above average system.
Old 7th December 2020, 22:09   #3486
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any ideas for a receiver that I can use with my old Sony speakers ? I had one of those old big Mini Hi-Fi systems - dual cassette, tuner, 3-VCD changers.

The Home Theater thread-sony.jpg

This pic is off the web. It doesnt show the other 3 (smaller) speakers though. The output was decent. The player is not working anymore, so wondering if I can put the speakers to use.

Note: I think speakers and players come paired. Any other player than the original may not give the same 'tuned' output. But just checking.

Last edited by condor : 7th December 2020 at 22:11.
Old 8th December 2020, 17:21   #3487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Ah I see. But have you heard these modern Pioneers ? They aren’t that bad when compared to similar competition. You just got to pair them with the right equipment and have decent room treatment (applies for any setup) I suggested this one based on your budgets and like I said earlier you can always settle down for 7.2 CH AVR too from other manufacturers in the similar price bracket.
I have taken my commitment level to the home theater setup to the next level, Just bought a Yamaha RXV 685, 7.2 AV Receiver .

Connected my old Philips Home theatre speakers an I could immediately notice the difference these AV Recivers bring to normal plane Jane speakers. I am now looking forward to the next purchase, a nice set of speakers to go with them, presently thinking of Polk Audio T50 package, Max budget is 50, can stretch to 60-65

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:17   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, any ideas for a receiver that I can use with my old Sony speakers ? I had one of those old big Mini Hi-Fi systems - dual cassette, tuner, 3-VCD changers.
If you intend to use your speakers in stereo setup then get something like this which offers all the connectivity features of current time along with enough audio amplification:-
https://hifimart.com/product/fx-audi...mplifier-html/

And if its multispeaker setup then get a basic 5.1 AVR
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:13   #3489
BHPian

Hello Audio enthusiasts,

I am on the lookout for a NAS and a network audio player to be part of my Home Entertainment System. I am currently considering Denon DNP800NE as my Network audio player.

Any suggestion on a good-descent NAS? looking for some suggestions and also if you are aware of any good deals currently.

My current setup:
Denon AVR 4311 - setup as a 9.1 Channel (it can take max of 11.2 channels)
KEF Q950 Floor Standing Tower speakers as Front-Left and Front-Right
Definitive Technology Promonitor 1000 speakers (Front Height L/R, Surround L/R and Surround Back L/R)
Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000
Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 - Subwoofer

thanks,
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 16th December 2020 at 10:16.
Old 17th December 2020, 08:36   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Any suggestion on a good-descent NAS? looking for some suggestions and also if you are aware of any good deals currently.
You don't need a Network Audio player as your Denon 4311 supports network audio playback. If you've got a laptop powered on somewhere in the house and on the same network, your receiver can stream/play music from there.

On NAS, there are quite a few options from Synology, though you'd definitely want to use it for multiple purposes than just music.
Old 17th December 2020, 10:56   #3491
Senior - BHPian

Hello , fellow bhpians I am looking for a decent soundar with Dolby DTS / ATMOS support to accompany my LGCX55 OLED TV .
I dont want to get any surround / satellite speaker .A sound bar with a wireless sub would suffice .
So far i could shortlist LGSN8YG https://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainment/lg-sn8yg

Any reviews or any other recommendations please?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2020 at 09:08. Reason: Typo.
Old 17th December 2020, 13:35   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Hello , fellow bhpians I am looking for a decent soundar with Dolby DTS / ATMOS support to accompany my LGCX55 OLED TV .
I dont want to get any surround / satellite speaker .A sound bar with a wireless sub would suffice .
So far i could shortlist LGSN8YG https://www.lg.com/in/home-entertainment/lg-sn8yg

Check this JBL 3.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer with less price comparatively with LG if you are able to get, unless LGSN8YG is best choice for LGCX55 OLED TV.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2020 at 09:09. Reason: Quoted post edited.
SVMBLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 16:53   #3493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post

From what i understand, atmos on soundbar relies on sound being bounced off the ceiling by the speakers on top of the soundbar. Won't really get an atmos effect all that much. Is atmos really a requirement?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2020 at 09:09. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 17th December 2020, 17:37   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
From what i understand, atmos on soundbar relies on sound being bounced off the ceiling by the speakers on top of the soundbar. Won't really get an atmos effect all that much. Is atmos really a requirement?
Yes thats correct ATMOS needs up firing speakers with ceiling reflection .
Its not a must have requirement but good to have since most content of Netflix etc comes with Dolby Vision and ATMOS.
Old 17th December 2020, 17:48   #3495
Senior - BHPian

hmm, but Netflix, Amazon and others push out Dolby Digital Plus signals only even though they mention it as Atmos. Could you check that?

Most Viewed