Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:27   #3466
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

HI friends. Need a little advise

My TV (49W800G) has HDMI slots and a coaxial out. While my sound bar will take accept coaxial input it also has a optical input slot. Can I someway do a HDMI to optical connection?

Last edited by Elito11 : 22nd October 2020 at 16:29.
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:30   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
HI friends. Need a little advise

My TV (49W800G) has HDMI slots and a coaxial out. While my sound bar will take accept coaxial input it also has a optical input slot. Can I someway do a HDMI to optical connection?
You can use a coaxial RCA cable. TV has coaxial output and sound bar has coaxial input. That's one option.

Also, there are converters for HDMI to optical & coaxial output. But, generally little costly. in the range of 2 - 2.5K

Last edited by Sree73 : 22nd October 2020 at 16:39. Reason: Typo
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:53   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
You can use a coaxial RCA cable. TV has coaxial output and sound bar has coaxial input. That's one option.

Also, there are converters for HDMI to optical & coaxial output. But, generally little costly. in the range of 2 - 2.5K
Thank you! What do you suggest sticking with the coaxial or getting a converter? I have no STB and run this tv purely on Internet
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:01   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! What do you suggest sticking with the coaxial or getting a converter? I have no STB and run this tv purely on Internet
Get a coaxial cable. That's the better option.
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:06   #3470
BHPian

Quote:
Get a coaxial cable. That's the better option.
Thank you! Can you please explain why though? The tv supports HDMI ARC and I feel like i will be missing out..!
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:18   #3471
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Can you please explain why though? The tv supports HDMI ARC and I feel like i will be missing out..!
First of all, you do not have an HDMI input in your sound bar. If that was the case, would have given good quality.

The option of using HDMI to Optical/coaxial conversion is there, but still will not have much improvement over Digital coaxial cables.

So, the best feasible option is coaxial.

Last edited by Sree73 : 22nd October 2020 at 17:30.
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:28   #3472
BHPian

Quote:
First of all, you do not have an HDMI input in your sound bar. If that was the case, should have been given good quality.

The option of using HDMI to Optical/coaxial conversion is there, but still will not have much improvement over Digital coaxial cables.

So, the best feasible option is coaxial.
Yeah, to much hassle for the converter. Will stick with a coaxial cable. Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:47   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Thanks for your reply, the 9.2 Receivers are above 1-1.5 Lacs, I am more than glad to upgrade probably I am not looking at the right place, could you share the source which you are using for prices?

Pramod
Just came across this deal on HiFiMart on the LX 303 9.2 CH AVR. At 66k INR its a sweet deal and I highly recommend you consider it. Have never come across this sort of a pricing on a 9.2 AVR.

https://hifimart.com/product/pioneer...receiver-html/
Old 27th October 2020, 00:41   #3474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Just came across this deal on HiFiMart on the LX 303 9.2 CH AVR. At 66k INR its a sweet deal and I highly recommend you consider it. Have never come across this sort of a pricing on a 9.2 AVR.

https://hifimart.com/product/pioneer...receiver-html/
pioneer

First choice is Yamaha
Second is Denon
Last is Onkyo

Pramod
Old 27th October 2020, 05:20   #3475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have never come across this sort of a pricing on a 9.2 AVR.
There is a reason for that. It is soon to be replaced with the LX304. Also; it might barely push 35 watt with all 5 channels driven. At 9 channels, it will probably be a less than that. With that in mind, your speaker options narrow down to the ones with higher sensitivity, which may not always please your ears. Expansion is not possible by means of a external powered amplifier, if you crave for more power.

Having owned a VSX-1122, I can say that Pioneer does get their sound signature spot on for home theater but they lack in outright grunt.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 07:59   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There is a reason for that. It is soon to be replaced with the LX304. Also; it might barely push 35 watt with all 5 channels driven. At 9 channels, it will probably be a less than that. With that in mind, your speaker options narrow down to the ones with higher sensitivity, which may not always please your ears. Expansion is not possible by means of a external powered amplifier, if you crave for more power.

Having owned a VSX-1122, I can say that Pioneer does get their sound signature spot on for home theater but they lack in outright grunt.
Any 9 channel AVR in that price range be it the Denon X2500 or the Marantz 50XX/60xx, is not going to pump out more than 50/60 watts in 5 channels or 30/35 in full 9.2 set up. The difference is mostly in the auto room calibration software that they employ. They all are cookie cutter black boxes at the price. Pioneer does employ the efficient class D amps in their higher LX models though.

My SR 7012 is also mostly used as a pre utilizing all those advanced algorithms mated to external amplification. Now my old school Denon 4806 was a different 50 pound plus beast altogether with quality transformers inside.

Having said that, a modern 700 and up USD AVR has enough power for most home theater users. People very often overestimate their need for extra amplification in HT setups.

Last edited by bigron : 27th October 2020 at 08:10.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:23   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Any 9 channel AVR in that price range be it the Denon X2500 or the Marantz 50XX/60xx, is not going to pump out more than 50/60 watts in 5 channels or 30/35 in full 9.2 set up. The difference is mostly in the auto room calibration software that they employ. They all are cookie cutter black boxes at the price. Pioneer does employ the efficient class D amps in their higher LX models though.

My SR 7012 is also mostly used as a pre utilizing all those advanced algorithms mated to external amplification. Now my old school Denon 4806 was a different 50 pound plus beast altogether with quality transformers inside.

Having said that, a modern 700 and up USD AVR has enough power for most home theater users. People very often overestimate their need for extra amplification in HT setups.
True. I always wonder the wattage obsession with consumers. As though they want to bring the whole roof down with the sound. Right amount of wattage with room treatment will do the magic and that combination is always overlooked!
Old 27th October 2020, 08:26   #3478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
pioneer

First choice is Yamaha
Second is Denon
Last is Onkyo

Pramod
Ah I see. But have you heard these modern Pioneers ? They aren’t that bad when compared to similar competition. You just got to pair them with the right equipment and have decent room treatment (applies for any setup) I suggested this one based on your budgets and like I said earlier you can always settle down for 7.2 CH AVR too from other manufacturers in the similar price bracket.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:50   #3479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
People very often overestimate their need for extra amplification in HT setups.
Quote:
Right amount of wattage with room treatment will do the magic and that combination is always overlooked!
The problem with AV receivers is that they seldom achieve what the manufacturers claim in terms of their ratings. To advertise the amplifier as 170 watts per channel (In the case of the LX303) is misleading. In no scenario will the amplifier be operated as mono and in most home theater applications, you need to estimate the minimum as 5 driven channels. Without quality power, you can't get the best out of your speaker.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 09:06   #3480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The problem with AV receivers is that they seldom achieve what the manufacturers claim in terms of their ratings. To advertise the amplifier as 170 watts per channel (In the case of the LX303) is misleading. In no scenario will the amplifier be operated as mono and in most home theater applications, you need to estimate the minimum as 5 driven channels. Without quality power, you can't get the best out of your speaker.
Marketing my friend marketing.

160 Watt per channel sounds very enticing to unsuspecting first time buyers. Also discounting that the rating is at 6 ohms and not even 8.

Very few AVR manufactures will give you 5/7 channel rating.
I know Anthem does it ( had an older model). I think Arcam does it to. But none of these mainstream Denon/Marantz/Onkyo etc do.

No body likes the sound of '60 watts per channels, 5 channels driven' in promotion literature.

Last edited by bigron : 27th October 2020 at 09:13.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks