Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 17:53   #3451
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Hi Guys, we have just moved in to our new home and purchased the Samsung Frame tv for the living room. Parents are enjoying the experience on this 55" tv and would like to enhance this by setting up a decent soundbar. Not looking for something too fancy like a home theatre setup though.

Any recommendations please? Budget upto 15k
Media source? Room dimensions? Any why not a 2 or 2.1 speaker setup?
Old 13th October 2020, 18:11   #3452
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Media source? Room dimensions? Any why not a 2 or 2.1 speaker setup?
Living room dimension is 10.5"X16". Media consumption is mainly via OTT apps like Hotstar, Prime, Netflix, Youtube. TV connectivity sources include HDMI, AUX, USB, Bluetooth, eARC, Digital Audio Out (Optical) & HDMI-CEC.

Reason for a simple soundbar set up is to have a clean set up, this is how we have set up our tv unit now. Let me admit that I am clueless in this area, so if there are better options than a soundbar within this price range, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

The Home Theater thread-1.jpg
Old 13th October 2020, 18:52   #3453
BHPian

Never knew we have a home theatre thread on Team-BHP.

I have been an avid movie lover and gaming person. When bought a new house in 2018, I had bought a 55'' 4K HDR tv and a Blaunkpaunt Soundbar with sub for my gaming and movie needs.
Time moved on, I rarely visited cinema halls for movies. I used to watch it on my TV most of the time. Then I read something about called as AV receivers. After reading and learning a lot of things finally thought of upgrading something similar to this.
The initial thought was to upgrade to 5.1 setup within 40K budget. But then reading online about future-proofing decided to go for a 7.2 av receiver.

Current Setup:
Pioneer VSX 834
Taga Harmoney Tav606v3
Yamaha SW050 as sub
Micca covo S for heights

Following things connected with the setup:
Xbox One X
PS4 Slim
Jio 4K Setup Box
Amazon Echo
Mi TV 4 55""
Acer NitroLaptop - Occasionally for Dolby Atmos Movies

The Home Theater thread-img_20200925_135058.jpg

The Home Theater thread-img_20200925_135109.jpg

The Home Theater thread-img_20200925_135143.jpg

The Home Theater thread-img_20200925_224744.jpg
How setup looks in night when I play or watch movies

Things planned for the future:
Xbox Series X
If I get a good offer on Pioneer VSX 834 will sell it and get an AVR with preout and more HDMI inputs.
BIC or Taga sub in range of 30-40K.
A decent 2 or 5 channel amp to go with the pre out AVR.

Yamaha speakers are for sale:
Yamaha NS B40 and NS C40
4 Surround and 1 Centre channel speaker

Hope you like my setup and suggestions are welcomed.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 20:54   #3454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

Current Setup:
Pioneer VSX 834
Taga Harmoney Tav606v3
Yamaha SW050 as sub
Micca covo S for heights
Can you give me a honest review of the Taga Speakers?
How do they sound?
Vocals
music
Cinema experience?

Pramod
Old 13th October 2020, 21:00   #3455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reason for a simple soundbar set up is to have a clean set up, this is how we have set up our tv unit now. Let me admit that I am clueless in this area, so if there are better options than a soundbar within this price range, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
[/ATTACH]
Go for a couple of bookshelf speakers placed on top of the unit along with a small sub and a stereo receiver with HDMI and it will outperform a similarly priced soundbar in all departments.

It could look like the setup below..
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-bookshelf.jpg  

Bass&Trouble is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 21:41   #3456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Go for a couple of bookshelf speakers placed on top of the unit along with a small sub and a stereo receiver with HDMI and it will outperform a similarly priced soundbar in all departments.
Any product recommendations along with amazon/flipkart links pls?
Old 13th October 2020, 21:57   #3457
BHPian

One of the HDMI ports stopped working in the Audio Video Receiver(AVR) and the technician is telling that that the entire board of the AVR needs to be replaced.
Since the AVR’s HDMI port isn’t working, we are unable to use the speaker setup. (Three satellite speakers are not shown in the picture)

Main usage right now is YouTube/Netflix/Prime which we stream through Chromecast connected to the Projector via the HDMI port.
For now, we are only left with the speaker in the Projector (I know it’s bad)

My technician is recommending to replace the AVR with a new one costing ~60K. I’m looking for a solution to my problem at the least cost.

Any suggestions ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-avr.jpeg  

The Home Theater thread-avr-pin-outs.jpeg  

The Home Theater thread-setup.jpeg  

Old 13th October 2020, 22:49   #3458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Can you give me a honest review of the Taga Speakers?
How do they sound?
Vocals
music
Cinema experience?
Pramod
These sound brilliant, though it has slightly higher treble feel.
Floor standing speakers have good bass if you run them without subs and go low to 40hz.
Music and Cinema experience is awesome.
I played starting scene of Dunkirk to show my friends what these speakers and the setup is really capable of, they literally had a mini heart attack and told me they really thought someone was shooting at them.

But still would advise audition them and pick them.
Many better speakers also available but if one is on tight budget, these are the best under 27K for 5.0 setup.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 14:46   #3459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
One of the HDMI ports stopped working in the Audio Video Receiver(AVR) and the technician is telling that that the entire board of the AVR needs to be replaced.
Looks like a very old receiver, and defnitely not worth spending too much to get the board replaced.

Grab a newer gen AVR, will serve you better with newer audio formats/ 4K/ HDR compatibility etc. Or you could get something pre-owned also in the 15k odd price range.
Old 19th October 2020, 20:15   #3460
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, we have just moved in to our new home and purchased the Samsung Frame tv for the living room. Parents are enjoying the experience on this 55" tv and would like to enhance this by setting up a decent soundbar. Not looking for something too fancy like a home theatre setup though.

If you don't need anything fancy, take a look at the JBL sound bars. Pretty decent for the money and you can pick up their entry level model that should cost about 9 or 10k. If you need a bit more quality, you can look at the Polk Signa S2 around 18 or 20k and will offer better sound.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 21:26   #3461
BANNED

Quote:
If you need a bit more quality, you can look at the Polk Signa S2 around 18 or 20k and will offer better sound.
Thanks mate, strongly considered the Polk signa but ended up going for the Yamaha YAS 109 sound bar for 19k from amazon!
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 00:04   #3462
BHPian

Quote:

If you a 'good' soundbar, I'd recommend the Edifier B3. However if you want a 'really good' SB, look for B7.

Alternatively, get a pair of Edifier bookshelf's (anything between 8-15k) and you are sorted
Elito11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 23:37   #3463
BHPian

Hi all,

My current Yamaha HTR 3064 model (about 10 years old), has finally given up and the quote to repair/replace its HDMI board (diagnosed as faulty) is ~14k INR.

This doesn't make sense to me and I'm therefore in the market for a receiver.

The following were shortlisted considering I've almost always owned a Yamaha -
1. RXV485 (5.1) - 37k (I have a 5.1 setup at the moment with Yamaha towers, woofer, center and surround speakers)
2. RXV 585 (7.2 + DA and DTX-x) - 47k (will probably add 2 more speakers here for DA as I'm leaning towards this one)

Not sure about Denon as I was informed their warranty and part support is a little dicey - not sure about this and hence didn't check much.

While searching, I also found a newer version being launched in the US - the V6a and V4a which are Yamaha's 2020 range. They are pretty good from what I saw but no information on launch here in India.

I also have a high-end gaming rig - and my Graphics card is always connected to the receiver and then to my 4k monitor, the VLSS and HDMI 2.1 will definitely help (but it isn't something I'm so keen at as it will need a monitor upgrade which I don't plan to do)

Anyone know when these are planned and whether its worth the wait? I really am not in a hurry and can wait - I've probably answered the second question!

Please do let me know if anyone has any other inputs as well.

Much appreciated,
Aayush

Last edited by aayushnair : 20th October 2020 at 23:38. Reason: typo
Old 21st October 2020, 06:58   #3464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Not sure about Denon as I was informed their warranty and part support is a little dicey - not sure about this and hence didn't check much.
I can't speak to the new Yamaha's. As for Denon, they are pretty much the champ of all Integrated AV receivers. You can't go wrong with them.

After sales is an issue with pretty much any AV brand. Considering Denon is Distributed and Sold with Pro Fx backing, support should be a little better than others. That said, expect wait times if anything were to fail even in the warranty period.

If you're in no hurry, you'd much rather wait for the new Yamaha's to land on our shores. Do some research in the mean time on what new features they offer on USA models and compare to existing ones. On the other hand, you can land a better deal on a outgoing model, if it fits the bill in terms of what you want. Most receivers sold today have a similar feature set.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:36   #3465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Overall Denons are a bit moore user friendly, quality wise not much difference. With Denon and Marantz sharing parts now, its not really much of a hassle. Something like a Denon AVR-S650H @ approx 37k is great value for money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks