Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 07:23   #3556
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am trying to understand what the goal is here. You want the same music source to be playing in Zone 1 and Zone 2? If Yes, then you much rather stay with a Zone 1 only set up for now. If the zones must play two different source, then a AV/Stereo digital receiver helps.

Av receivers are not the best for music. You will be paying for features you are not going to use. Get a Stereo receiver instead, like this Onkyo. Denon, Marantz, Yamaha make similar products too.
Thanks sir. My need is to play the same music throughout zone 1 & 2. I will now focus on something like the L100 + a decent amp/ stereo receiver. I guess this will work for now and later if the need be, I will add satellite speakers in zone 2. Thank you once again.
Old 30th May 2021, 11:03   #3557
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone used or heard MRX-540 or MRX-740 Anthem receivers? Or which forums should I look at?
Old 1st June 2021, 20:50   #3558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Has anyone used or heard MRX-540 or MRX-740 Anthem receivers? Or which forums should I look at?
Had the MRX 710 back in 2015. It was a suberb AVR and a cut above the Denon,Marantz and Onkyo category.

It had the best room EQ software ( ARC2) of any AVR available and far superior to Auddessy XT32. Even the video processing was superior to other AVRs in the range.

It just performed without any niggles.

Had the grunt and gave a steady 90w 5 channel driven.
Did not have alot of those useless features that were thrown in back then and even now.

Frankly I loved it and let it go only because I went towards separates.

Get the 740. It would be your last AVR for a very long time.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 00:17   #3559
1:1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Hi all,

The following were shortlisted considering I've almost always owned a Yamaha -
1. RXV485 (5.1) - 37k (I have a 5.1 setup at the moment with Yamaha towers, woofer, center and surround speakers)
2. RXV 585 (7.2 + DA and DTX-x) - 47k (will probably add 2 more speakers here for DA as I'm leaning towards this one)
Which one did you finally go with? I am in similar situation but need more power to drive my Elac Debute Towers and looking forward for Atmos upgrade.

Plan to stick to Yamaha as I am quiet happy with the sound signature its warm and smooth which suits my preference.

And best bargain place to buy in Mumbai??
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:34   #3560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1:1 View Post
Which one did you finally go with? I am in similar situation but need more power to drive my Elac Debute Towers and looking forward for Atmos upgrade.

Plan to stick to Yamaha as I am quiet happy with the sound signature its warm and smooth which suits my preference.

And best bargain place to buy in Mumbai??
I picked up a Yamaha Rx-v 685 for 50k from Electronic Emporium. Talk to Ryan from here he gave a very very good deal on them (his contact is available on their website/Google).

I too am running Elac debut 2.0 BS speakers in my Atmos setup.

Also I think there's a new version of the receiver now available, the Rx-v 6a, which has a higher output and better look.

All the best.

Aayush
aayushnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 21:59   #3561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Had the MRX 710 back in 2015. It was a suberb AVR
It had the best room EQ software ( ARC2) of any AVR available...I went towards separates.
I got introduced to Model O system with related Electronics via a known.

https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinway-sons-model-o/
https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-mp-40/
https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/steinway-sons-a1a2/

Since I have never listened to this brand before so to satisfy my current hunger, ordered the below stuff for an entirely different stereo application.

https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.co...orf-tdai-1120/
https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-fr-1/

I got super confused, can you tell me what will be your dream setup like, budget is flexible as my Home-theater is still pending.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 22:49   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Have been using MRX-720 over the last few years for my living room HT setup and have been super happy with it so far.

Are you planning for a dedicated home theatre room setup (acoustically treated room) or a non treated living room setup where aesthetics are more important? Your choice of equipment should be based on the room to get the most out of the gear.

Just so you know, I am currently setting up a dedicated home theatre room with Trinnov Altitude processor and JBL synthesis speakers.

If budget is not a constraint, please look at Wisdom Audio line source (not point source) speakers and a Trinnov or Lyngdorf processor. If you aren’t bothered about the aesthetics but just want great sound, I have heard a lot of good things about Alcons speakers - haven’t auditioned them personally. There are a few other pro speaker brands that can easily beat consumer brands if you are okay with bulky boxes.

And again, I would strongly suggest you to work on your room design and acoustic treatment plan with the help of high end North America based home theatre designers before spending your money on the equipment. If you don’t get the room setup right, even high end equipment won’t sound great.

Edit: you can take a look at https://www.avsforum.com/threads/100...setup.3182454/ to get more insight. Lots of other helpful discussions on the HT on this forum for you to read - but takes quite a bit of time to comprehend stuff

Last edited by ece2k2 : 4th June 2021 at 22:57.
ece2k2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 11:32   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got introduced to Model O system with related Electronics via a known.

I got super confused, can you tell me what will be your dream setup like, budget is flexible as my Home-theater is still pending.
There is no single answer to what my dream set up would be like. I ve heard so many systems ranging from 1000 USD to over 50,000 USD that the list is endless. But I am not one who takes fancy to esoteric audio brands.

I prefer mainstream brands. I am assuming you are going in for a dedicated home theater set up with a treated room.

Lyngdorf is super amazing no two ways about it. And if that is the kind of budget you looking to spend, very few people will be able to suggest you how to proceed. You would need to hire professional help to help you narrow down.
No point spending 15000 USD on a pre amp only because some one who has a 600 USD Onkyo heard and read about the brand online and thinks it's cool and suggests.

Personally, I would look at B&W or Revel or even Focal for speakers and pair it with Anthem, PS Audio, Parasound, Rotel, Nad or even Krell etc.
The possibilities are endless. I suggest booking for some demos.

Last edited by bigron : 6th June 2021 at 11:42.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 12:37   #3564
BHPian

Hello again,
Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Few updates and changes done.
- Moved the center channel to lower position with slight tilt, sounds slightly better.
The Home Theater thread-20210604_2356291.jpg
- Changed the subwoofer position, looks better and gels better now.

- Added a Crown XLS 2002 amp to Front Floorstanders, got it used at a very good price. Using FL FR as Large in stereo mode. Preset 1 and 2 are boon in x3700 to quickly change on the fly. They sound phenomenal, source is Tidal through HEOS or HDMI and Laptop. Crown is at 2 to 3 o clock, slight hiss if you stick your ears close to the speakers but nothing at all at listening positions.
The Home Theater thread-20210614_024243.jpg
The Home Theater thread-20210614_0238591.jpg
- Added a laptop cooler to keep the receiver cool, the receiver used to get hot, nothing alarming but wanted to extend the lifespan so taking precautions. Does a good job in keeping it cool, funny part is the smaller fans work better than the larger one. Got it for around 1k from Amazon, good buy if you want to keep your AVR cool Link.
The Home Theater thread-20210614_0240451.jpg
The Crown Amp and the Laptop cooling pads have blue light, so they gel pretty good and looks good.
Everytime I start the Receiver, I feel like a pilot starting a fighter jet turn on switch board for Sub and Amp, turn on the Crowns, Turn on the laptop fans by the small rotating nobs then the receiver.
The cooling pad is powered by USB port, wish the 3700 had a USB at the rear.

- Added two 4x2 feet rugs, haven't noticed much difference, haven't done AB testing so but should help keeping some reflections in check.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210614_0240451.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	2168078
The rugs are particularly very soft, they smelled alot for the first day, kept windows open with fans turned on for the night.

Already ordered Roxul Safe and Sound slabs, spoke with the carpenter and the work should begin soon. Yet to finalize the fabric would go in a day or two. Would be making 6 panels, 4 behind the speakers and 2 opposite to the front speakers. Waiting for a companion to check reflection points using mirror tricks.

Here is a short video I made on how to connect and control AVR to Alexa devices.

Open to suggestions and valuable feedback.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 17th June 2021 at 12:41.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 20:27   #3565
BHPian

Not a Home Theater set-up but Home Music set-up. Made up of mostly DIY components:

Amplifiers: DIY Jean Hiraga Super 30W Class A Mono Block Amplifiers
Speakers: DIY Alpair 10.3M Full Range Speakers in GR Research Bass Reflex Bookshelf cabinet design
Pre-amp: DIY passive pre-amp and source selector [with IR Remote]
DAC: SMSL M8 DAC
Source: Raspberry Pi Volumio USB Out or Sony Bravia Android TV Optical Out to DAC

The Home Theater thread-20210619_2015392.jpg

And here is a small video recording of music being played:

somspaple is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 19:11   #3566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Not a Home Theater set-up but Home Music set-up. Made up of mostly DIY components:
Thats one hell of setup mate.

And I see that National Panasonic stereo in your photos which revives my old memories when this was the only gadget we had at my home in 80s. This stereo made me fall in love of music and turned me to be very specific in picking up my future audio components. I remember listening music and Sholay movie dialogues by seating in front of this boombox to get the feeling of stereo effects in my childhood.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 20th June 2021 at 19:12.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 21:25   #3567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Thats one hell of setup mate.
Thanks

Quote:
And I see that National Panasonic stereo in your photos which revives my old memories when this was the only gadget we had at my home in 80s. This stereo made me fall in love of music and turned me to be very specific in picking up my future audio components. I remember listening music and Sholay movie dialogues by seating in front of this boombox to get the feeling of stereo effects in my childhood.

Are you kidding!? I still have the double cassette set of Sholay full story. The dialogues are forever etched in my memory - long before I could even catch a glimpse of the movie on Doordarshan one day! And this boombox could be at least 35 years old! Played important role in influencing my interest in music from classic Hindi songs to Kannada folk songs to Electronic Music of The Man Machine and Giorgio Moroder. Phew!!

Last edited by somspaple : 20th June 2021 at 21:26.
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 18:18   #3568
Senior - BHPian

So there was this old cassette player/amp over at my grandparent's house for ages and i always used to keep an eye on it

Turns out, so was my dad. Anyway he has now had it serviced and he says the FM is working and he wants a pair of 8 ohm speakers.

Nothing fancy, nothing very expensive...how would these be?

https://www.amazon.in/Micca-MB42-Boo...dp/B009IUIV4A/

I have asked him to check if the cassette player is working. That would be amazing. I have been waiting to listen to my 13AD cassette for ages.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-img20210625wa0019.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-img20210625wa0021.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-img20210625wa0022.jpg  

Last edited by deathwalkr : 25th June 2021 at 18:19.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:21   #3569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So there was this old cassette player/amp over at my grandparent's house for ages and i always used to keep an eye on it

Turns out, so was my dad. Anyway he has now had it serviced and he says the FM is working and he wants a pair of 8 ohm speakers.

Nothing fancy, nothing very expensive...how would these be?

https://www.amazon.in/Micca-MB42-Boo...dp/B009IUIV4A/

I have asked him to check if the cassette player is working. That would be amazing. I have been waiting to listen to my 13AD cassette for ages.
Those are decent speakers, but if you stretch your budget to 10K you will be more than happy with the speakers.
I have a friend who is using these with Marantz IA, he is happy with them.
Old 27th July 2021, 14:23   #3570
BHPian

Was free on a Sunday, so made a video comparing how a AV receiver sounds with a subwoofer vs tube preamp when it is connected to the same power amp and speakers.
YT might not do justice but my mother preferred the tube pre amp over subwoofer, she doesn't like bass much.

AV receiver had audyssey running can crossover at 60hz. What I normally listen to music if I want bass. 80% of the time listening to music on Tube Pre Amp.
Sometimes Activo CT10 does MQA unfolding, and I get a blue dot on it. It is vert random. But not at all bothered about it as I am totally satisfied with the sound quality.

Used Mp3 files due to copyright issues, they don't do justice to the actually FLACs, if anyone knows good tracks to test without having copyright issues do let me know.

Most Viewed