Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 11:26   #3421
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Hi All,

Thanks to all the feedback here, I am planning to go for Receiver + 2 bookshelf speakers instead of HTIB for 75k. Maybe after 1 year if budget allows, build a complete 5.1 or 5.1.2 with Atmos.

After multiple auditions in different showrooms - Profx, DNI, Modern World have narrowed down to the below options:

1) Denon x1600 AVR + Q Acoustics 3020i speakers (5 inch woofer - smooth treble, less bass)
2) Denon x1600 AVR + Elac Debut B6.2 speakers (6.5 inch woofer - slightly brighter, more bass)

Since I have two small kids, was planning to wall mount these speakers.
But as per home theatre shops,
Q Acoustics has a wall mount bracket available for an extra 3k
Elac does not provide any, so better to build a shelf and place the speaker.

I am leaning more towards Elac and building a shelf with carpenter.

Please let me know your suggestions.
Hi Toretto,

What is the price of this setup?
Old 9th September 2020, 12:36   #3422
BHPian

I had a Bose Accoustimass 6 paired with a Denon 7.1 amplifier. I had to replace the Denon with Marantz 1509 due to the Denon making weird sounds (it was 12 years old so it was due for replacement anyways). After connecting Marantz 1509 to the Bose Subwoofer unit, I am noticing a continuous humming sound from the Subwoofer. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?
Old 10th September 2020, 04:26   #3423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Any ideas on how to get rid of it?
Sounds like a grounding issue. The 1509 has two sub woofer outputs. Check if it happens on both. If it does, you have a problem with the amplifier and might want to get it replaced. Alternatively; plug into the Front Pre Out and check for the humming sound. Just make sure your sub woofer volume is set to zero and turn it up gradually to listen for the hum. Try another RCA cable to the sub woofer. Also check if the hum is present without anything connected to the sub woofer. If its still humming, they you have a fault with the sub woofer internal amplifier.
Old 11th September 2020, 00:05   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Has anyone used / heard this one before? Sounds good in Youtube comparos, but not sure if those can be trusted.
I was surprised at the reviews but they seem a bit sketchy and dont seem to be of the audiophile kind. The make and finish resemble local speakers with the ubiquitous cheapo USB and SD card module. I ended up buying Edifier speakers.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 04:48   #3425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sounds good in Youtube comparos, but not sure if those can be trusted.
Avoid. It is a hit or miss with these unknown brands.

Buy a budget home theater in a box from Panasonic, Samsung or LG. Preferably something with dual driver speaker setup. I bought a used Samsung HT-F6551W for ~10k. Original price is about 3x that figure. This has the vacuum tube pre amplifier section. I can't tell if it makes any difference. All I can say is, for something made out of plastic, the sound for movies, terrestrial TV is quite good. The micro sized sub woofer does a decent job for low frequency too, as long as you don't demand room shaking sound. I've had this system for over 3 years and use HDMI Arc. Its also one of those few systems that came with two HDMI inputs so that was a bonus. Wireless rear speakers too. I was trying to avoid a full blown HT set up as much as possible to avoid clutter too. These small systems are okay considering what you pay for them and can sound decent if set up right. Easy to use too which your folks would want.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:17   #3426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Avoid. It is a hit or miss with these unknown brands.

Buy a budget home theater in a box from Panasonic, Samsung or LG.
I went ahead with a safe option of Sony HT RT40. Sounds well balanced and looks class! Double the initial budget - but got a local shop to match the Amazon pricing. Amazon delivery hasn't been up to the mark these days in my hometown, so limited my options to what is available in the store.

Use case is only to enhance the TV experience - and will be primarily used by parents.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th September 2020 at 11:20.
Old 11th September 2020, 18:21   #3427
BHPian

Hi guys!

I have been thinking of buying a sound system. I am absolute noob when it comes to this but I think I can't setup a 5.1 system in my house. So was wondering if I should buy 2.1 sound system or a soundbar? What are the differences between both these system?
Old 11th September 2020, 19:13   #3428
Senior - BHPian

There is very less difference between a soundbar and a 2.1 system. The main difference is that we can position the two satellite speakers as per our desire and room dimension whereas the "two channels/speakers" in a soundbar are fairly close to each other at a fixed location.

Soundbar is more clutter free option and I am personally using one (basic entry level one, boAt Aavante 1580 120W RMS) and satisfied with its performance.

My post is based on comparing the 2 speaker systems of similar price and specification range.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 19:35   #3429
BHPian

My usage is mostly movies and PS4 gaming. Budget is around INR 10k. Any other recommendations?
Old 11th September 2020, 21:11   #3430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
There is very less difference between a soundbar and a 2.1 system.
Not true. A soundbar is no match for a decent 2.1 system at any price point.

Unless you are getting a top of the line soundbar like a Sonos Arc/Playbar or a Definitive Technology or one of those Yamaha YSPs with its advanced algorithms , a 2.1 system with an amplifier is always going to sound better. And even if you spend over a 1000 USD on a sound bar, for a similar budget a 2.1 will blow most anything out of the water.

In fact for most people a nice 2.1 set up is all they need for both movies and music. I would even recommend going active if getting passive speakers with an amp is to much work ( it is not though) but a soundbar is a no no for any serious aural upgrade.

Last edited by bigron : 11th September 2020 at 21:23.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 09:40   #3431
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
I am absolute noob when it comes to this but I think I can't setup a 5.1 system in my house. So was wondering if I should buy 2.1 sound system or a soundbar? What are the differences between both these system?
Please read the first few posts in this thread. Especially those by Samurai. You will move from noob to PhD in less than an hour.

If you mean the PC speakers when you say 2.1 system, there is a separate thread for PC speakers.
Old 12th September 2020, 14:26   #3432
BHPian

Hello All
I am looking for a great audio system that doubles up as home theatre, should have lots of bass.
Budget is approx 50 K.
Should have Alexa connectivity too as i would like to play from Amazon music or bluetooth also.
Please advice.
Old 13th September 2020, 08:14   #3433
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
I am looking for a great audio system that doubles up as home theatre, should have lots of bass.
Budget is approx 50 K.
Should have Alexa connectivity too as i would like to play from Amazon music or bluetooth also.
Dont know about Alexa, but practically all recently launched AV receivers in the market have Bluetooth connectivity.

I assume you are looking for a 5.1 set up. Given your budget, you probably can look at Yamaha's YHT series or Onkyo's bundles, which come with matched receivers and speakers. Start by looking at specifications from web sites of respective brands rather than shops / online apps.

I may be wrong, but I feel Alexa / chromecast etc are just right bundles of hardware and software. Things may change in 5- 10 years here. But the HT setup will last 15+ years or more. So you may be better off with a device which takes input from an Alexa device rather than spending big on Alexa / Chromecast type bundles.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 20:34   #3434
BHPian

Have been seeing a lot of these old Harman Kardon AVRs for sale.
Are they any good?
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-2f04c632dbe64309a1cdeaf4c659e8d6.jpeg  

Old 15th September 2020, 20:48   #3435
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Dont know about Alexa, but practically all recently launched AV receivers in the market have Bluetooth connectivity.

I assume you are looking for a 5.1 set up. Given your budget, you probably can look at Yamaha's YHT series or Onkyo's bundles, which come with matched receivers and speakers. Start by looking at specifications from web sites of respective brands rather than shops / online apps.

I may be wrong, but I feel Alexa / chromecast etc are just right bundles of hardware and software. Things may change in 5- 10 years here. But the HT setup will last 15+ years or more. So you may be better off with a device which takes input from an Alexa device rather than spending big on Alexa / Chromecast type bundles.
Any decent AV receiver will have 3-4 HDMI inputs. Use one of them for Amazon Fire Stick and you are Alexa enabled, use it for connecting with chromecast, and you can cast anything from mobile.

Bottomline, go for a receiver, which can take care of your current and next power requirements, Alexa/Chromecast can be add ons.
I am using Fire stick with my Yamaha receiver, and it works seamlessly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks