Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 20:45   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Thats actually typical behaviour of these small wireless systems made of plastic. A quality component stereo ssytem is any day better than such hyped 'surround' systems which make artificial sounds combined with single tone boomy bass which look good for first few days.

Adding heavy sound acoustics in the room may add some relief but still can't match the quality of a conventional components system.
Agreed. Soundbars are junk, period. I would never recommend one to anyone no matter how small the budget.

Unless one spends over a 1000 USD for the high end JBL or Klipsh with those advanced algorithms can someone get close to that immersive soundstage. Even then they are no match for a simple passive stereo setup with a AVR/integrated.

Last edited by bigron : 25th January 2021 at 20:49.
Old 26th January 2021, 02:29   #3512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Subwoofer placed diagonally opposite and facing the direction of couch.
I would remove that pedestal and keep the subwoofer on the floor. You are adding resonance with that pedestal which will end up vibrating along with the sub woofer. Unless you like bass boom, distance it about 2 feet away from the side and back wall.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 17:19   #3513
Senior - BHPian

Finally the home theatre is complete and we have started enjoying it completely
The Home Theater thread-b4cb0a36e9b64f70b1ff6c45c7e8f761.jpeg

I am planning on getting some ceiling speakers for atmos setup, I have zeroed down on Taga Harmony TCW-80R

Need your opening on it, initial reviews look promising.

One major issue that I am facing is the pealing of the recliners(faux leather). I should have bought real leather or fabric recliner, YouTube searches are not promising and the only solution looks like getting it completely re done

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 19:55   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Very often it is about space. How do you accommodate a full sound set up in a typical 10X10 room? We have used the Bose soundbar and it is quite decent for that price. (The new Samsung Atmos series was good as well) Later we moved to a full Denon setup, and yes the realism is on a different plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Agreed. Soundbars are junk, period.
Old 8th February 2021, 20:23   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Very often it is about space. How do you accommodate a full sound set up in a typical 10X10 room? We have used the Bose soundbar and it is quite decent for that price. (The new Samsung Atmos series was good as well) Later we moved to a full Denon setup, and yes the realism is on a different plane
If space is a constraint, look for a 2.1 channel bookshelf speaker system. Any budget speaker set from Polk, Jamo, Dali, Klipsch, wharfdale etc etc will give superior audio experience than any soundbar out there. And will have a smaller space utilisation than a sound bar. Also, less said the better about Bose, but discussion for another day.

For reducing the foot print even further, active bookshelves will get the job done.

Point being, I have yet to hear a sound bar at any price point that sounds decent. Even the Harman Kardon q90 could not match the performance of a speaker set half its price. Unless the goal is to only improve the crappy inbuilt tv speakers. Then ofcourse the sound bar will elevate the sound.

Last edited by bigron : 8th February 2021 at 20:36.
bigron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 10:17   #3516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Finally the home theatre is complete and we have started enjoying it completely
Attachment 2119712

I am planning on getting some ceiling speakers for atmos setup, I have zeroed down on Taga Harmony TCW-80R

One major issue that I am facing is the pealing of the recliners(faux leather). I should have bought real leather or fabric recliner, YouTube searches are not promising and the only solution looks like getting it completely re done

Pramod
Nice setup. What is the screen you are using? Need to buy a good one to replace my current one
Old 9th February 2021, 12:08   #3517
BHPian

Quote:

Pramod
Location of your front channel speakers is not ideal. You should move them away from the walls to avoid the early reflections.

Thumb rule is to divide your front wall in three portions and locate the front LR speakers on the dividing lines. Second option is to put the speakers in the center of the divided portions near the both side walls. Also move the speakers away from the front wall. Maintaining distance of 9 to 18 inches does the job most of the times. Move the center speaker also away from the wall. This will widen up the front stage image and will improve the sound clarity by reducing the unwanted reflections.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 9th February 2021 at 12:10.
Old 9th February 2021, 17:36   #3518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Nice setup. What is the screen you are using? Need to buy a good one to replace my current one
That’s a plain wall with Matt white paint

Quote:
Location of your front channel speakers is not ideal. You should move them away from the walls to avoid the early reflections.
Thanks for the pointer, the gypsum walls on both sides are filled with rockwool, there are no stray reflections to be honest. The room is actually dead acoustically. We have used a lot of our budget for good soundproofing.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 9th February 2021 at 17:40.
Old 9th February 2021, 21:43   #3519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Which one did you finalize? And which one was second best?

I had few demo (of 30-40k range), but none of them is the best. Not able to source Yamaha YAS 209.
Got the Samsung Q800T 3.1.2 .

https://www.samsung.com/in/audio-dev...IaAjYzEALw_wcB
ms001 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:18   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer, the gypsum walls on both sides are filled with rockwool, there are no stray reflections to be honest. The room is actually dead acoustically. We have used a lot of our budget for good soundproofing.
Thats nice. It felt like normal concrete wall by looking at the pictures.

Location of the sound equipments and quality of the listening environment are the most important factors in making an audio system sound great or worse.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 15:48   #3521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Location of the sound equipments and quality of the listening environment are the most important factors in making an audio system sound great or worse.
Well said, being married to an architect has its perks, her OCD for soundproofing and aesthetics has really taken the home theater to the next level. I can proudly say, I wont be happy watching any movies in theater anymore .

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 21:55   #3522
BHPian

Looking for upgrading my onkyo htr 580. Will yamaha htr 3072 be an upgrade? My onkyo is old and does not support bluetooth and has issues with fm reception hence the upgrade.
Old 5th March 2021, 17:54   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Yamaha YAS-209 soundbar / WL subwoofer + an Epson TW650 projector as a bundled package in November. With a sparingly-used slim HP PC with HDMI and 1080P resolution joining as media center, simply loved the setup so much, I decided to convert another room as a dedicated HT. Air-conditioned the room, installed false ceiling, did plaster/putty-based wall textures and painted it all up in dark hues. Installed the projector, the soundbar and a 100" screen. Enjoyed very much for a week. On the 8th day noticed something is missing, and realized it was the sub. It was dead.

Hauled the sub out to the Yamaha service center in Trivandrum as it is still under warranty. They were very friendly and helpful, but they told me in clear terms that the replacement board will take anywhere between 30 and 75 days to arrive.

Posting this on the 30th day, today.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 5th March 2021 at 17:55.
Old 6th March 2021, 19:20   #3524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Unless you like bass boom, distance it about 2 feet away from the side and back wall.
I didn't know that. Anyway two feet distance is not a possibility, due to space constraints. What's the next best option?

The subwoofer is a 150w thingy with down firing port, a Wharfedale. Currently it is on a corner, on front right of listening position. There is space on right hand side, but maybe too close to listening position.
Old 8th March 2021, 08:29   #3525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
What's the next best option?
Closer isn't a problem. You may have to dial down the gain a bit. Alternatively the right hand side. If 2 feet is too much, maybe a foot away from the sides of the wall. Just not cornered or flush to the wall.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks