Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 10:20   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
. Rather it is picking up the encoded 5.1 channel from within the stereo. This is done based on frequency of various tracks.
The quality of music depends on the bit rate. Dolby technology is pretty good.
Actually its not done on frequency basis. The dsp performs mathematical operations on the signal to recover the various channels from the two stereo channels. Hence the decoding is done even on normal stereo sources.
Old 7th November 2013, 12:11   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Actually its not done on frequency basis. The dsp performs mathematical operations on the signal to recover the various channels from the two stereo channels. Hence the decoding is done even on normal stereo sources.
Mathematical operations yes Maths is part of any processing. The right and left channel on stereo both carry the center speaker channel, the surround sound is at a few db lower. The Dolby surround sound splits the channel based on its logic. This is why the analogue Stereo speakers can play Dolby encoded audio. A receiver can process the audio and split to the 5.1channel.

Dolby Digital is different. It is designed for broadcasting in digital media.

If you force surround on the receiver for non Dolby stereo audio. It simply plays the stereo on the rear speakers. At max for rear speakers it will lower the volume for sound common on both channels.

Last edited by HillMan : 7th November 2013 at 12:12.
Old 7th November 2013, 13:23   #1968
A.R
BHPian

Guys, need some help:

I recently moved into my new home and setup the electronics as usual, To detail -
TV - LG 42" Plasma
AV -Sony HTxxxxxx 7.1 channel
Speakers & Sub - Altec Lansing + Sony
BR - Sony

Video out from STB goes into TV.
Audio out from STB goes into AV.
TV speakers are muted. Sound for TV channels is only from HT speakers and Sub.

There's this strange buzzing noise even at low volumes which multiplies if the woofer is turned on. Its irritating and quite loud.

This buzzing sound is not there when I play Discs - Audio or Video.

I've checked all cables, to ensure no criss-cross with power cable.
I've redone the cables, replaced some too. Still no go.

Sound from TV speakers have no buzz.

Now, I had all this connected in my previous home too where it worked fine.

I'm lost now.
Old 7th November 2013, 13:41   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
There's this strange buzzing noise even at low volumes which multiplies if the woofer is turned on. Its irritating and quite loud.

This buzzing sound is not there when I play Discs - Audio or Video.
The cable or connector at STB is faulty. Probably a short in the connector socket.

Also thinking aloud. Your TV probably has an AV out. Why don't you connect STB to TV and AV out to the receiver. That way receiver need not be on always.
Old 8th November 2013, 00:01   #1970
A.R
BHPian

Hmm. I've replaced cables to rule them out. Just to mention, I'm using known brands only. May be I should try another STB. This is a Hathway unit, BTW.

Are you saying that I connect the audio out from STB to audio in of TV and take the audio out from TV into the AV receiver?

The AV receiver needs to be on since the speakers are connected to it. As said, TV speakers remain muted.
Old 8th November 2013, 07:52   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Are you saying that I connect the audio out from STB to audio in of TV and take the audio out from TV into the AV receiver?

The AV receiver needs to be on since the speakers are connected to it. As said, TV speakers remain muted.
Yup. Unless it is a requirement to use the theater speakers all the time. It will not make any difference to the humming noise though, because the AV out on TV is just a pass through.

For channels like News, you could stay with the built in TV speakers. I usually keep the receiver turned Off and turn them On only while watching some good Action/Sci-fi movies.

The humming on TV might not be evident, because the sub-woofer enhances that sound. If the cables are good, then it is definitely the STB. Also try connecting only the Left audio and then the Right, I assume both wouldn't give a problem at the same time. Just a test.

Last edited by HillMan : 8th November 2013 at 07:58.
Old 11th November 2013, 13:47   #1972
BHPian

Need an Audio Setup

Hey Guys, Really need some help here on trying to figure out a system at my home.

Just a bit if a background - I already have an Onkyo HT System.
I need a rather simple Audio setup (Not HT), which can do the below things:

1. Play files on my PC/Network (Essentially meaning it is DLNA Compliant)
2. Play Internet Radio
3. Have the typical capabilities : CD/USB/Aux In/Line Out
4. Should not take up a lot of space
5. Keep the budget to a Max of 40k

After a lot of searching this is what I could come up with:

1. Onkyo CS 325 (Decent Music System - Around 15k)
2. Grace Internet Radio (Does the DLNA bit as well - Around 14k)
3. Belkin Bluetooth Receiver (To play files/radio from the Phone/Tab - 2k)

There is merit in combining 1 & 2 into one setup in something like a Denon N-5BKE2 (and I am overshooting my budget) as well, but then you lose the portability of the radio (and who does not love a cute radio?)

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks alot
Old 11th November 2013, 14:49   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks alot
How about a micro Max Android phone with Wi-Fi and a nice set of 2.1 PC speakers with USB input?

You can play internet radio and DLNA. MP3 from USB will play directly from the speaker system.

Possibility is limitless

Apps like Skifta do a great job with dlna.
Old 12th November 2013, 15:58   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
How about a micro Max Android phone with Wi-Fi and a nice set of 2.1 PC speakers with USB input?

You can play internet radio and DLNA. MP3 from USB will play directly from the speaker system.

Possibility is limitless

Apps like Skifta do a great job with dlna.
Hey,

Thanks for the that. However all my CD's go for a waste and I really not a fan of the PC Speakers.
Old 12th November 2013, 16:29   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a bit if a background - I already have an Onkyo HT System.
I need a rather simple Audio setup (Not HT), which can do the below things:

1. Play files on my PC/Network (Essentially meaning it is DLNA Compliant)
2. Play Internet Radio
Does your HT has a iPhone dock (or does it support Airplay)? if it does, you can pick up a used iPod touch for cheap.

With this you can shaer your files over WiFi and play from HT.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:16   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks for the that. However all my CD's go for a waste and I really not a fan of the PC Speakers.
If thats the case, you already made your choice

Quote:
After a lot of searching this is what I could come up with:

1. Onkyo CS 325 (Decent Music System - Around 15k)
2. Grace Internet Radio (Does the DLNA bit as well - Around 14k)
3. Belkin Bluetooth Receiver (To play files/radio from the Phone/Tab - 2k)
Onkyo CS 325 is the only one with CD capability.

I am a component guy, and like to keep my pieces separate. It also future proofs the investment.

Then you must invest in a good HT receiver and a Blue Ray player with DLNA WiFi/Lan capability.

HT receiver with Dolby Pro Logic and DTS. It will decode 5.1 channels from stereo mp3 and streaming audios that are Dolby encoded.
Whatever you buy, you will have to listen to the music output, it is totally personal taste. I feel Sony play the best. Philips has a loud bass output.
IMO; Receivers with 5.1 are sufficient for home use. 7.1 is good if you have a large hall with space behind the seating for rear speakers. Otherwise, its an overkill.

For Blue Ray player avoid Sony as they restrict on number of formats it play. LG, Philips, Pioneer are good brands. It should play DivX-HD, MP4 & MKV.

You should be able to get a good setup with your 40K budget.

Last edited by HillMan : 12th November 2013 at 17:34.
Old 12th November 2013, 19:44   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Does your HT has a iPhone dock (or does it support Airplay)? if it does, you can pick up a used iPod touch for cheap.

With this you can shaer your files over WiFi and play from HT.
Hey thanks,

My HT has a RI Dock (which can do similar things). However my HT is already connected to a Blu Ray player which has DLNA capabilities, just that I have not explored them so far.

The one thing to note here is that - I really am not very keep to switch on my HT every time I want to listen to something, hence I am looking for a smaller setup. Hence the headache.

Quote:
Then you must invest in a good HT receiver and a Blue Ray player with DLNA WiFi/Lan capability.
Hey thanks again, I already have an HT setup which does pretty much all the things (except the Internet Radio). The Blu Ray has DLNA capabilities which has not been tested. However as I have written above, I really do not want to switch on the HT every time I want to listen to something.

Essentially the setup should be something that I simply keep it running most of the time I am home. (Read: lots of podcasts, blogs, Jazz & Country Music)

Hence the headache, I am really struggling to put together something substantial.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 13th November 2013, 07:43   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Hence the headache, I am really struggling to put together something substantial.
Did you search in Aliexpress?
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1414094859.html
Old 13th November 2013, 10:54   #1979
BHPian

hi all,

I bought the Logitech Z623 ... here is my review:

I was considering purchase of a Sound Bar for my TV but found that such systems are best for wall mounting only. I do not like too many wires running across the room so I ruled out 5.1 systems from the start. Secondly, I preferred a premium 2.1 system rather than a cheaper 5.1 system. There are a plenty of options 2.1 category, that too at all price points + with a surprising variety of features. My search ultimately culminated in the Logitech Z623.

Hardware & Setup: The first thing that strikes you about this system is the quality and feel of the parts. The subwoofer is on the large side and has a neutral, minimalist look. There is one input audio lead provided, which will connect your system to your PC/Laptop/Phone or TV via the headphone jack. There is also aux RCA input provided. Surprisingly, there is no RCA lead bundled.

It has an on/off switch on one of the satellites, along with volume and bass control. This is useful compared to some other systems which have it behind the sub. The satellites are angled up for a better desktop experience.

Sound: Z623 is sufficiently loud for the average drawing room, though best suited to a bedroom size area. The bass is noticeable and without any distortion which is great for movies and games. Excellent clarity while playing music but ‘fine’ notes is not its strong point. Sound feels “fuller” and “richer” now … while on comparison the inbuilt TV speakers sound decidedly “flat” and lacking depth. Stereo Effect is also quite pronounced.

Bottomline: Go for the Z623 you want a high quality, high spec’d sound system for a satisfying movie and multimedia experience from your computer or TV.

Other models considered: Creative Gigaworks T3, Harman Kardon Sound Sticks, Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 2.1 and Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. If you are budget conscious then there are many 2.1 systems in the market at cheaper prices. Ironically the cheaper models also tend to offer bonus features like remote control and USB playback.

Purchased from Flipkart for Rs 7,993/-
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-img_20131112_081121_s1600.jpg  

Old 14th November 2013, 09:45   #1980
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I found out that I am not getting true 5.1ch sound from any channel in my Airtel DTH STB. And my HT seems to be acting very wired after I tried to change settings and check where the problem was. Let me explain what happens:

1. The route for TV audio is STB-->TV-->HT all through HDMI. Using auto format detect on HT, I am getting only stereo audio from any HD channel. In Pro logic, at least HD channels used to play on all speakers. Now even that is not happening .

2. If I play audio through DLNA, following the route Phone-->Tv through LAN and TV-->HT through HDMI, I get stereo output in AFD mode and excellent 5.1 through pro logic. But the same pro logic fails to produce 5.1ch output from a TV channel, which also follows the same route. Hence I am surprised now. Before it used to happen but from yesterday it did not happen. I changed the sound mode from Stereo to Main. What does this option do? There were three options Stereo, Main and Sub.

3. I played a 5.1ch test tone and it played properly, ie in true 5.1ch. So I am confused about what setting to use. If I configure the entire setup to play one format properly, the other format gets screwed.

Does Airtel really transmit 5.1ch sound on any channel or any movie?

Most Viewed