Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 22:25   #2026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

But the problem is his HT does not have coax input. It's a dead end. He has to change his STB to the one with coax output
No optical input as well?

The HT has optical input available for sure.

Optical out from TV won't help because STB is sending only two channels over HDMI. Not sure which,but STB has coaxial or optical.

Only other option. This is a good opportunity to upgrade HT
Old 20th December 2013, 12:14   #2027
Team-BHP Support

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Bhpians

Any recommendations for PC 2.1 speakers? I think i have matured from listening the volumes of the lows+highs of the creatives and altec lansings to giving priority to clarity(especially in the mid-ranges).

Budget is anything this side of 10k. Thanks in advance.
Spend a bit more and get the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 unit. This unit was discontinued sometime back by Klipsch but brought back on popular demand. I am glad they did - this was *the* best selling 2.1 unit back then (circa 2000). Well regarded in the audio community and received rave reviews back then. The only downside is, the new unit which has been restocked supposedly has some of the internals changed from the older unit. Do hit up the web for some reviews before taking a call.

Some sale links:

Amazon India
Flipkart
eBay

If you have an eBay coupon, you will get a good discount and will be the cheapest of the lot above.

EDIT: No digital inputs!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th December 2013 at 12:15.
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:38   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
But the problem is his HT does not have coax input. It's a dead end. He has to change his STB to the one with coax output
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan
No optical input as well? The HT has optical input available for sure. Optical out from TV won't help because STB is sending only two channels over HDMI. Not sure which,but STB has coaxial or optical. Only other option. This is a good opportunity to upgrade HT
Guys, I have optical at both STB and HT. Problem is, when STB is connected to TV via HDMI and STB connected to HT via Optical, all I get his Straight mode selected in HT whenever watching HD channels. This mode Straight is nothing but audio output from all speakers with no decoding. But when I connect, STB to HT via HDMI, HT to TV via HDMI, TV to HT via Optical, any HD channel I watch, I believe I am getting surround. Am I right in assumptions?

Last edited by dre@ms : 23rd December 2013 at 20:39.
Old 26th December 2013, 14:41   #2029
BHPian

Hello Folks, greetings to all.

I have been contemplating to share my very own HT setup built purely based on my research.

I used to have HTiB from Sony for years and then I matured and started thinking about some pro setup in budget. I was over the fancies of 5.1 7.1 setup and wanted pure audio setup and occasional movies. I still prefer audio CDs over mp3 though I have iPods / pads / phones. I do have few DVD video collection of eagles, Floyd's & dire straits. Also have only single Super Audio CD - dark Side of the Moon.

For me sound imaging was primary without any curtain effect and coloured sound. I prefer pure direct than the digital modes like Pop rock concert. My preference was tower speaker for the clean construction and generous drivers setup.

Here is my setup done last year after multiple auditions at multiple shops which was in my budget.

1. Denon AVR 1612
2. Jamo 606

Connected following HDMi sources to DENON
1. HD Sat box
2. Pioneer BR

Still have 2 more sources available to exploit. The setup was bought from Alfa at Vile-Parle in Mumbai.

Viera is connected in HDMI out. Denon controls all sources.

There is connectivity to control iPod / iPhone

Here are few pics captured from iPhone. Pardon me for speaker pic before cleaning :-)
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-image4266458058.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-image3883449.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-image916335191.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-image2405485691.jpg  

Old 31st December 2013, 10:31   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Here is my setup done last year after multiple auditions at multiple shops which was in my budget.
I would not place anything directly above the receiver and on top of that, a cloth cover. Heat will kill the receiver before you know it.
Old 31st December 2013, 10:56   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I would not place anything directly above the receiver and on top of that, a cloth cover. Heat will kill the receiver before you know it.
I second that.
In fact since the shelf where I placed my receiver is a bit small , I have a USB driven laptop cooling pad placed on the receiver. Connected to the AVR USB port it keeps it well ventilated.
Old 31st December 2013, 11:00   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That's the nightly cover and when not in use. You are right. I take it off while in operation. The dust protection is I use that for.

Now the BR player is directly above. What I am planning to do is add some packing below BR player legs and raise the height so that heat dissipation is not affected.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:49   #2033
BHPian

My Denon 1908 thought of acting funny on 1 Jan. Does anyone have a contact who could take a look at it in Bangalore. It does come on, but no display, no sound. It's not in protection mode, I.e no red blinking stand by ligjt, it does turn green and stable. It's not resetting either. PS: if this not the right thread to post a problem with a home theater, please move it to the right one. Need help. MaSh
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:18   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Worst place to keep a speaker honestly. It'll boom all over the place. A speaker needs atleast a foot or two of clearance on the back and the sides.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:21   #2035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
My Denon 1908 thought of acting funny on 1 Jan. Does anyone have a contact who could take a look at it in Bangalore. It does come on, but no display, no sound. It's not in protection mode, I.e no red blinking stand by ligjt, it does turn green and stable. It's not resetting either. PS: if this not the right thread to post a problem with a home theater, please move it to the right one. Need help. MaSh
Check out Pro FX. They are authorized dealers for Denon. Below web page has the contact number for Bangalore office.

http://www.profx.com/contact-service.asp
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:51   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
That's the nightly cover and when not in use. You are right. I take it off while in operation. The dust protection is I use that for.

Now the BR player is directly above. What I am planning to do is add some packing below BR player legs and raise the height so that heat dissipation is not affected.
Still wont do much good. These amps are passive in cooling and reply on air around them. Do not keep anything above the amp if you want to avoid any issue.
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:30   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Check out Pro FX. They are authorized dealers for Denon. Below web page has the contact number for Bangalore office. http://www.profx.com/contact-service.asp
Thank You so much. Got to do this on Saturday.
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:24   #2038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Adding a packing below the blue ray player is also not adequate. These AV receivers generate enormous heat when operating. You need at least 1/2 to 1 foot free air above the receiver to prevent any premature failure due to heat. In fact, the heat from the amp could also kill the blue ray player.

My suggestion would be move the blue ray player adjacent to the amp and leave the top of the amp free.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:42   #2039
BHPian

Team,

Need suggestion if this setup can work?

I am planning to buy a blue ray DVD based HT. (Sony BDV n9100w)

My TV has 3 HDMI ports but no ARC mentioned in any of the three ports.

HD set top box has one HDMI port.

Currently HDMI cable from set top box is connected to TV.

Sony system has 3 (2 in's and 1 out) HDMI ports.

So will I be able to get TV sound through the Sony player if:

1. Connect set top box to Sony player via HDMI

2. Connect Sony player to TV through HDMI

(hope I'll get Video also with this setup) sorry if this is very silly question

Though TV does not have ARC, it has Anynet +. Not sure if Sony BDV n9100W has anynet+ support.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BheemBoy : 8th January 2014 at 12:45. Reason: added one more question
Old 8th January 2014, 14:35   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
So will I be able to get TV sound through the Sony player if:

1. Connect set top box to Sony player via HDMI

2. Connect Sony player to TV through HDMI
You need to be careful with this. First check if the Sony can pass through a HDMI signal with the unit in Stand By. This is a feature. If not, you won't get sound or picture. It will require that you always need to power on the SONY HT for casual tv watching.

Not having ARC is not a major problem. What won't work is if you play video via the TV USB and if you want sound coming from your Sony HT. To counter this problem, you plug the USB stick in to the Sony HT, or run a coaxial/optical OUT cable from the TV to your Sony. If the TV does not support Coaxial or Optical output and your Sony does not accept the same as an Input, you can't do much but plug the USB in to the Sony to watch a movie.

Anynet may work as only a communication protocol to turn Off/On components daisy chained under HDMI and need not necessarily support ARC. You need to check the specification chart for your TV for any ARC information.

On a different note, at close to 48K for the Sony, you are way better off with a Pioneer or Onkyo HT system.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 8th January 2014 at 14:43.

Most Viewed