Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 19:53   #2011
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Guys am a complete noob when it comes to this so pardon the ignorance

Im looking to get a good set of speakers to play music only off a mobile / ipod for a large room. I had checked out the JBL SB 200 soundbar and was quite impressed the sound output and reviews online seem to be quite good as well. The B&M stores seem to have it for around 20k which I think is a decent price.

I happened to hear a JBL SoundLink™ Bluetooth® Mobile Speaker II recently and quite liked the sound but I am not sure of its output and clarity (better or worse) as compared to the JBL soundbar. I am also not in a position to compare them side by side and have to trust my untrained ear which explains the confusion.

It seems as though this is a contest between a full sound output (JBL) vs the convenience of a portable player (Bose). Thoughts / suggestions / corrections / advice?
I just feel the pipe systems in Bose( lame way of describing its tech) works well in filling up a room with the music even at decent volumes , where as the direct speaker systems give better clarity at closer distances . This is the compromise that's to be decided upon whilst opting for smaller speakers.

Ive got the Bose Soundlink , and it works wonders either outdoor or indoors for general gatherings where music is just a filler. I haven't tried the Soundbar , but for portability, discreetness and ease of traveling with it , i chose the Soundlink
Old 16th December 2013, 13:05   #2012
BHPian

I am facing some issues with my HT. Previously, I have connected all my devices like this,

STB - HT - TV - HT
STB to HT via HDMI
HT to TV via HDMI
TV to HT via Optical

I had all my speakers work in the above setup. After reading here, thought I will redo it and here is my latest setup,

STB - TV via HDMI
STB - HT via Optical

This is where the issue starts, if I am watching any HD channels, I am not able to select/change the surround decoders. But when I play some SD channels, I am able to change the decoders.

Why is this? Which is the best and optimal solution when comes to connections?
Old 16th December 2013, 13:41   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
This is where the issue starts, if I am watching any HD channels, I am not able to select/change the surround decoders. But when I play some SD channels, I am able to change the decoders.
Your setup looks good. If you face sync issue between audio and video, then connect hdmi thru HT to TV like your earlier connection. It is usually due to processing delays.

HD channel carries Dolby digital. So that's the only format you can use. It has multiple sound tracks in digital broadcast format.

SD channels have two tracks only. Dolby pro logic can be applied. So you get multiple options to use or ignore the feature.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:38   #2014
Distinguished - BHPian

Any opinions on the Bose Sound dock 10? Have been looking to add a home theatre system but there size and all those extra wires have prevented me from doing so. Sister recently checked this out and is floored by it.
Old 17th December 2013, 16:14   #2015
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking to buy some speakers which I can use to occasionally listen to music, watch the occasional movie on the TV and so on. I am not in particularly looking at a home theatre system but would not mind one too. The problem is I cannot afford to have wires and looking at a wireless set up. This was the reason why I was considering the Bose sound dock 10. What are my other options?
Old 17th December 2013, 18:34   #2016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am looking to buy some speakers which I can use to occasionally listen to music, watch the occasional movie on the TV and so on. I am not in particularly looking at a home theatre system but would not mind one too. The problem is I cannot afford to have wires and looking at a wireless set up. This was the reason why I was considering the Bose sound dock 10. What are my other options?
A good sound bar may be an ideal option. I recently saw a Philips sound bar with detachable (wireless) speakers which can be moved to the rear while watching movies. Will try to get the model number.
Old 17th December 2013, 18:46   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is I cannot afford to have wires and looking at a wireless set up. This was the reason why I was considering the Bose sound dock 10. What are my other options?
IMO, sound bars are more to do with esthetics. It goes well with a wall mount. For the price you can get a good feature rich HiFi with a louder output

Whatever your choice. You must visit a showroom and listen in. It is totally personal preference. Some like bass some don't.

Also check out the media you want to use for playing music. USB, CD, iPod, Aux in?

Last edited by HillMan : 17th December 2013 at 18:55.
Old 17th December 2013, 18:54   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Buy an AV receiver such as the Pioneer-323 along with that buy a good pair of floorstander's. They are more than enough. You can upgrade later when you are good with wires!
Old 18th December 2013, 09:21   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is your primary objective - listening to music or watching movies? Also what is your hard budget?
Old 18th December 2013, 10:27   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy some speakers which I can use to occasionally listen to music, watch the occasional movie on the TV and so on.
This was the reason why I was considering the Bose sound dock 10. What are my other options?
Hey, it all depends on your budget and choice of the speakers.

Bose Sound docks though good, are just that, sound docks and a lot of people don't like them (I am one of those)

If your primary aim is music through multiple sources then you can look for a Denon CEOL N5 - Should set you back by a cool 40k, but it is brilliant. It also has a digital in for connecting to sources such as TV/Blu Ray. It is however meant for music.

If you aim for one which has everything in it then it is the N8 but it is very expensive ~ 61k.

If home theater is what you want (probably later) then you can buy an AVR and add speakers on to it. For now add 2 Floor Standers and when you get around to like the wires, add the rest of it.

Whatever you do make sure you audition it first.
Old 19th December 2013, 08:36   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Your setup looks good. If you face sync issue between audio and video, then connect hdmi thru HT to TV like your earlier connection. It is usually due to processing delays.
I dont face any sync issues.

Quote:
HD channel carries Dolby digital. So that's the only format you can use. It has multiple sound tracks in digital broadcast format.
SD channels have two tracks only. Dolby pro logic can be applied. So you get multiple options to use or ignore the feature.
Makes sense. But which is the optimal connection ? Letting the HT output whatever is received or tweaking them.
Old 19th December 2013, 11:58   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Makes sense. But which is the optimal connection ? Letting the HT output whatever is received or tweaking them.
Airtel STB sends only 2 channel stereo over HDMI, not sure of others. So there is no point directing it over HT. As you said there is no video sync issue, this is the best connection;
HDMI from STB to TV
Coxial/Optical from STB to HT

This way you don't need to turn On HT all the time for general watching TV.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:05   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians

Any recommendations for PC 2.1 speakers? I think i have matured from listening the volumes of the lows+highs of the creatives and altec lansings to giving priority to clarity(especially in the mid-ranges).

Budget is anything this side of 10k. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:24   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Bhpians

Any recommendations for PC 2.1 speakers? I think i have matured from listening the volumes of the lows+highs of the creatives and altec lansings to giving priority to clarity(especially in the mid-ranges).

Budget is anything this side of 10k. Thanks in advance.
Using the SRS -D8 for a while. Amazing set of speakers. Search HFV for the same. You would get a result.
Old 19th December 2013, 22:00   #2025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Airtel STB sends only 2 channel stereo over HDMI, not sure of others. So there is no point directing it over HT. As you said there is no video sync issue, this is the best connection;
HDMI from STB to TV
Coxial/Optical from STB to HT

This way you don't need to turn On HT all the time for general watching TV.
But the problem is his HT does not have coax input. It's a dead end. He has to change his STB to the one with coax output

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks