Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 17:06   #1981
Team-BHP Support

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Does Airtel really transmit 5.1ch sound on any channel or any movie?
It does, for the HD DTH subscriptions.

Your Airtel STB should come with a digital audio-out port, most probably the optical out. If your HT system has an optical audio-in, buy a Toslink optical cable (retails for Rs. 200 and thereabouts) and connect the STB with the HT system. And check with an HD channel when the movie airs. The HT system should switch to the correct audio stream.

Quote:
1. The route for TV audio is STB-->TV-->HT all through HDMI.
You have connected the STB and TV with the HDMI cable. How have you connected the TV with the HT?
Old 14th November 2013, 17:20   #1982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It does, for the HD DTH subscriptions.

Your Airtel STB should come with a digital audio-out port, most probably the optical out. If your HT system has an optical audio-in, buy a Toslink optical cable (retails for Rs. 200 and thereabouts)
Why is an optical cable needed when HDMI can transmit the same audio stream? My HT does not have an optical input. The only way I can provide it with multichannel audio is through HDMI only. While this is happening properly with a test video, none of Airtels channels seem to play 5.1ch audio.

As of now, the TV is sending true 5.1ch sound to HT and it is receiving it properly without the need of pro-logic. However the Airtel STB sends only stereo audio to TV. Any solutions?

Last edited by audioholic : 14th November 2013 at 17:30.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:30   #1983
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why is an optical cable needed when HDMI can transmit the same audio stream?
Please answer this one:

Quote:
You have connected the STB and TV with the HDMI cable. How have you connected the TV with the HT?
I haven't figured how you've paired your HT setup with the STB/TV.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:34   #1984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please answer this one:

I haven't figured how you've paired your HT setup with the STB/TV.
Simple sir, TV acts as the intermediate. First it recieves audio from STB via HDMI. Then if I choose to listen via HT the TV mutes itself and sends audio to HT via HDMI itself. Else the audio is played via TV speakers. Now this is very convenient because the TV and HT will completely sync. Volume control of HT is done by the TV, the HT is switched On by the TV. Hence, the link between TV and HT is up and working perfectly. As airtel STB sends stereo audio to TV, the same is provided to HT.

EDIT Here is a diagram:

The Home Theater thread-untitled.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 14th November 2013 at 17:40.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:36   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
As of now, the TV is sending true 5.1ch sound to HT and it is receiving it properly without the need of pro-logic. However the Airtel STB sends only stereo audio to TV. Any solutions?
While I am not an Airtel subscriber, the set top box that I have gives me option of stereo sound or 5.1/dolby sound. May be you can check if such an option is there in your STB.
Old 14th November 2013, 20:21   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
won't this create a mis-match and won't something or the other keep blowing?

Thats the reason people stay away from this approach and need to be very careful in selecting each component in the chain. Moreover mismatched components can sound awful but a properly setup chain will be miles ahead of the integrated ones.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 14th November 2013 at 20:22.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:56   #1987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
While I am not an Airtel subscriber, the set top box that I have gives me option of stereo sound or 5.1/dolby sound. May be you can check if such an option is there in your STB.
My STB doesnt have this option. Now that the connection between TV and HT is found to be perfect let me check with the Airtel folks
Old 8th December 2013, 22:20   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Guys need some inputs here. I am looking for a good music system for my home. Now for some reason HIFI audio systems (eg. Sony HIFI) have lost their popularity and people mostly go for Home Theaters nowadays. I checked out this http://www.sony.co.in/product/mhc-gzx33d . Is it advisable to go for a Sony HIFI or should I settle down with a HT. My budget is 25K.

I have only two conditions:
1) Good sound with a punchy base
2)Budget 25K max.
Old 9th December 2013, 06:53   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Question on speaker placement

Hi guys,

a question on speaker placement in my family home theater.

Please refer to the diagram below. I intend to place the five speakers as shown in red. The room has a king size bed with leather headrest and that is going to be the furniture for watching the movies. there are two doors (green and brown) that swing into the room. I have decided to place the speakers close to the ceiling to minimize drilling work, I have access to the attic.

questions:
1. since the audience is sitting close to the rear walls, should I chose the front speaker to be closer (left of the door).
2. if not close to the ceiling, what is the minimum distance from the ceiling I should have (the wires will be exposed) ? the middle main speaker will block the projected image if I moved it down.
3. wacky idea, can the main speaker be at the back, right behind the projector?
4. Edit - How can I extend the length of the cables? should I look for a new longer cable or can I live with splicing with additional cables?

The home theater in question is samsung HT-5500. it comes with a calibration microphone to adjust the balances after the install.

The Home Theater thread-home-theater.jpg

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th December 2013 at 06:59.
Old 9th December 2013, 08:12   #1990
BHPian

Re: Question on speaker placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Is it advisable to go for a Sony HIFI or should I settle down with a HT.
Depends on your needs. HT will need additional wiring and space for speaker placements. The surround sound is better with HT.
If you are a music buff, then HiFi is sufficient. HT is more for good movie watching experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
questions:
1. since the audience is sitting close to the rear walls, should I chose the front speaker to be closer (left of the door).
2. if not close to the ceiling, what is the minimum distance from the ceiling I should have (the wires will be exposed) ? the middle main speaker will block the projected image if I moved it down.
3. wacky idea, can the main speaker be at the back, right behind the projector?
4. Edit - How can I extend the length of the cables? should I look for a new longer cable or can I live with splicing with additional cables?

The home theater in question is samsung HT-5500. it comes with a calibration microphone to adjust the balances after the install.
1)Front speaker placing at left of the door is fine. Because you get equidistant from the screen. Will give a better perspective for sound.

2) Ideally you must place the speakers at ear height for best effects (approx 4ft from floor) in your case. Get good looking casings for the wiring that gel with your interiors. If you are getting a screen for projector then the wiring for front speakers are concealed behind the screen.

3) Projectors are sensitive equipments. Most sound come from front speakers. The vibration at high volume could cause damage. Remember, the bulb is the most expensive piece. Plus you will lose the true theater effect as it will feel odd when actors are talking. The sound will come from top of your head

4)Splicing is fine as long as you insulate it well. Dont have too many cuts thou.

Its a good thing that your HT has auto calibration. It can only gauge the volume from each speaker and set their individual volume levels. Like in your case the rear right will need a higher volume compared to rear left.

Your room doesn't look large, the sub-woofer can be placed anywhere.

Last edited by HillMan : 9th December 2013 at 08:19.
Old 9th December 2013, 13:04   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Guys need some inputs here. I am looking for a good music system for my home. Now for some reason HIFI audio systems (eg. Sony HIFI) have lost their popularity and people mostly go for Home Theaters nowadays. I checked out this http://www.sony.co.in/product/mhc-gzx33d . Is it advisable to go for a Sony HIFI or should I settle down with a HT. My budget is 25K.

2)Budget 25K max.
Go for the Onkyo 3400/3500. Great deal for movies. For music a 2.1 anyday beats a 5.1
Old 13th December 2013, 14:28   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2)Budget 25K max.
Get a pair of bookshelves such as Wharfedale Diamond or Cambridge S30 or Boston Acoustics and an entry level amp from Norge. If you are open to preowned equipment, look for an amp from Marantz/NAD/Cambridge Audio/Yamaha. Use a DVD player as your source for now.
Old 13th December 2013, 14:44   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Get a pair of bookshelves such as Wharfedale Diamond or Cambridge S30 or Boston Acoustics and an entry level amp from Norge. If you are open to preowned equipment, look for an amp from Marantz/NAD/Cambridge Audio/Yamaha. Use a DVD player as your source for now.
You could also take a look at the Heco Victa's , they are priced at Rs.15000 and are pretty good at that price!
Old 13th December 2013, 14:47   #1994
Senior - BHPian

I'm not so sure! I heard a Heco at a bangalore hfv meet and it sounded rather ordinary to me. I know electronics were not an issue as I've heard the same amps (Exposure) at multiple places and it always sounded outstanding.
Old 14th December 2013, 02:56   #1995
Senior - BHPian

Re: Question on speaker placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post

1)Front speaker placing at left of the door is fine. Because you get equidistant from the screen. Will give a better perspective for sound.

Thanks for the inputs. I did some more measuring and thinking and I might do some drilling afterall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks