Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 16:34   #2131
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
... It doesnt matter its 1Rs or Crores, issues are specific for each installs / setups, so a solution for 2crore setup will not work for 1Rs and vise versa unless the situations are same. ...
Incorrect. The problem of electrical protection (over-voltage spikes, lightning-strike-induced voltages and EMI interference) is the same for all installations.

Since modern electronics equipments account for a very large range of voltage variations - +/-20%! Internal regulation accounts for this possibility and it keeps the DC voltages within the designed limits of voltage tolerance without functional degradation. Everyone in the semiconductor & product design world knows this. However, this does not preclude individual discomfort about the effect of AC voltage variations.

If someone has the misfortune of being located in an area where the variations take it beyond this, the correct - and permanent - solution is to ask the Electricity Supply company to look into this and make corrections. They are mandated to supply 230V AC +/- 20%. I am yet to hear of an area in Bangalore where BESCOM doesn't ensure this, even if it takes them a few weeks after complaining. They are not responsible for people not knowing how to get their rights and get things done!!!

If someone wants to be extra cautious for whatever psychological reason, they are of course free to invest in ensuring whatever additional regulation they can think of - not that it is technically necessary. That additional measure doesn't become a technical necessity for everyone, just because one person went the additional mile with their paranoia. To each his own!

Quote:
... Thats the issue of sticking to the textbook theories as it will change once the ideal situation changes. ...
Which "textbook theories" are you referring to? It would help if you name the textbook and the theory. If you know of none, please avoid making such statements - sounds more like misplaced self-aggrandization for having used a stabilizer!
Old 4th March 2014, 09:09   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Incorrect. The problem of electrical protection (over-voltage spikes, lightning-strike-induced voltages and EMI interference) is the same for all installations.
Quote:
[left]Since modern electronics equipments account for a very large range of voltage variations - +/-20%! Internal regulation accounts for this possibility and it keeps the DC voltages within the designed limits of voltage tolerance without functional degradation. Everyone in the semiconductor & product design world knows this.
Yes, I agree, I will follow it when I am out of my mind . Do you mean to say my Onkyo 606 AVR power supply was not designed by any designers so that it got FRIED just after 3 or 4 months of ownership. Along with that a few bulbs and a PC SMPS was also fried. It was ~1AM and the voltage was very high. Now dont come back with another assumption that it was not because of overvoltage. Since it was under warranty and the distributor was known to me, it got repaired under warranty. So from my experience its utter blunder to expose any expensive equipments to the mercy of the power supply company thinking its 21st century and we have very advanced technology to withstand any issues with the direct supply. I have heard several stories about the over voltage during rainy season due to either a falling tree on to the supply line or some other, any keralite will second that.

BTW, Is there any way I can claim to BESCOM to compensate for my loss because of them?

Quote:
lightning-strike-induced voltages
Are you serious? May be I am wrong. I am yet to hear an effective and a reliable solution for lightning damages to equipments other than disconnecting them from the mains supply.

Quote:
If someone has the misfortune of being located in an area where the variations take it beyond this, the correct - and permanent - solution is to ask the Electricity Supply company to look into this and make corrections. They are mandated to supply 230V AC +/- 20%. I am yet to hear of an area in Bangalore where BESCOM doesn't ensure this, even if it takes them a few weeks after complaining. They are not responsible for people not knowing how to get their rights and get things done!!!
LOL... I dont know whether you are talking about the Bangalore which I know of. A simple google will give a hell lot of low voltage complaint stories during peak hours. A sample grievence from one of the Bangalorean during 2012 (I dont think the power supply system in bangalore got changed after that): http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/powe...ge-issues.html

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 4th March 2014 at 09:36.
Old 4th March 2014, 19:34   #2133
Senior - BHPian

Those who are using Android based media players, XBMC just released a Beta that supports hardware acceleration:

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-0-gotham-beta1-rises/
Old 5th March 2014, 16:15   #2134
BHPian

hey guys, needed some input/advice here, i have short-listed the following options and inquired with the respective dealers on the price points, but i am unable to decide which of these set-ups are good.
1. Klipsch Quintets 5, with the SW 450, Marantz AVR 5007 or Denon X 1000 (might be under powered, hence ok to push up to the 2000). Price 1.07 here in Mumbai.

2. The definitive technology,Pro Cinema 1000 with the Marantz AVR as above with the Denon X 2000, price upwards of 1.25.

3. Focal Sib & Cub with the Marantz AVR 5007 or Denon X 1000 or 2000, priced at 87k with the X 2000 or 78k with the Marantz AVR

The room area is an approximate 320 sqft, the dimensions i havent got off hand, but i was impressed by the sound of the Klipsch HT and the Sub was really good, The focals are brilliant as well. The defs sound great, but the package price is on the higher side.

Am i missing out any other good options, besides Paradigm and Q's?
Old 5th March 2014, 16:41   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
any other good options, besides Paradigm and Q's?
If you are looking only for movies, Onkyo / Yamaha / PioneerElite and Klipsch (if possible try their Reference series) combo will be better.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 5th March 2014 at 16:49.
Old 5th March 2014, 16:47   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking only for movies, Onkyo / Yamaha / PioneerElite and Klipsch combo will be better.
My requirement is Music (70 %) and Movies (30%), not keen on Onkyo AVR, given that Yamaha and Denon have a good service set up, so more inclined towards Denon or Marantz.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:05   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
My requirement is Music (70 %) and Movies (30%), not keen on Onkyo AVR, given that Yamaha and Denon have a good service set up, so more inclined towards Denon or Marantz.
Since your requirement is for music, I would suggest invest in a good 2 channel amp + a basic AVR with good matching speakers, the same speakers can be used both for music and movies.

If you want the AVR for both, you need to audition the Marantz and Denon as they have distinct sound signatures. You can try B&W 685 / KEF Q300 / Quad 11L2 / Monitor Audio silver series (slightly bright) speakers also.
Old 5th March 2014, 17:12   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Since your requirement is for music, I would suggest invest in a good 2 channel amp + a basic AVR with good matching speakers, the same speakers can be used both for music and movies.

If you want the AVR for both, you need to audition the Marantz and Denon as they have distinct sound signatures. You can try B&W 685 / KEF Q300 / Quad 11L2 / Monitor Audio silver series (slightly bright) speakers also.
thanks, it slipped my mind to mention, that this would be an upgrade from my current Bose Set up, with a Denon Pro logic amp, so looking at a good AVR and set of 5.1's, the Monitors Silver series, i havent been able to find here? will check with the La kozy dealership, maybe i can demo them. The KEF i have auditioned at Pro FX, they are a good set.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:20   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Dear FMs,

So far I was quite happy with my Creative Inspire speakers, but I want to start building a budget home theater setup. I am a total novice in this and my knowledge is very limited. Initially, I am looking for an AVR and a pair of front speakers. Budget for both is Rs. 50,000/-. I am looking at an entry level AVR at ~Rs. 25,000/- and front speakers pair for ~Rs. 25,000 to 30,000/-. I want a 5.1 capable setup but initially I am going only for the fronts. Later on I may add a sub or center. While being ready for a 5.1 setup for some movies, the AVR will be primarily used for music and HDTV channels. Since, music is primary usage, I have shortlisted the below AVRs.
Finally, I started up with the basic music setup. Thanks for all bhpians for your help. This is the Yamaha RX-V375 and Dali Zensor 3.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-p1060060-copy.jpg  

Old 6th March 2014, 09:31   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I started up with the basic music setup. Thanks for all bhpians for your help. This is the Yamaha RX-V375 and Dali Zensor 3.
The sound from a speaker kept in a closed area will be awful. It needs "breathing space". Invest in a good speaker stand and locate them with enough clearance from the walls.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 6th March 2014 at 09:33.
Old 6th March 2014, 21:08   #2141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. The loudspeakers are not at ear level.
2 I would position them so that they do NOT share the same shelf as the amplifier (and other components).

Does your application allow for some loudspeaker stands?
Old 7th March 2014, 10:41   #2142
BHPian

Prospective buyers check out profx - they have a website too profx.com
They are having an anniversary sale till 10th Mar. Saw the ad this morning in the TOI.
Old 7th March 2014, 17:48   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
The sound from a speaker kept in a closed area will be awful. It needs "breathing space". Invest in a good speaker stand and locate them with enough clearance from the walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2 I would position them so that they do NOT share the same shelf as the amplifier (and other components).

Does your application allow for some loudspeaker stands?
Yes, indeed. The actual plan is to send the speakers onto their stands and put up a middle partition in the cabinet. However, as I have a 2-year old daughter who is too playful, I am skeptical of standmouting the speakers for now - hence, the stopgap arrangement of recessing them in safety. I will standmount the Dalis in course of time.

Actually, there is a 1 feet gap on the sides and to the back of the speakers - in the picture, it just appears to be touching the cabinet.

I am currently enjoying listening from a variety of sources - the speakers are playing for 2-3 hours daily now.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Regards,
murillo.
Old 7th March 2014, 23:48   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
I will standmount the Dalis in course of time.

Actually, there is a 1 feet gap on the sides and to the back of the speakers - in the picture, it just appears to be touching the cabinet.
Its good that your plan is to use a proper speaker stand. 1ft gap in a closed area is not at all going to help in anyways. In home audio, getting the proper sweet spot, toe-in / toe-out, leaving enough space around the speakers are very important than any upgrade, sometimes even changing those for a couple of inches makes difference, in simple terms, you need to get the basics correct as much as possible.

If you are interested, you can start with the Cardas's speaker positioning recommendations as a starting point:

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_rectangular_room.php

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 7th March 2014 at 23:57.
Old 26th March 2014, 17:44   #2145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Can the speakers be mounted higher than the listening level, say 2 - 3 feet higher? Also, is the sound stage adversely affected by placing one speaker more to the side than the other, say the left speaker is 3 feet away from the center whilst the right side speaker is 5 feet away?

Navin, in layman language can you confirm why the AVR and speakers should not be placed on the same shelf / platform?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks