Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2014, 17:57   #2146
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

It is a very delicate balance between audio & aesthetics that we have to maintain at home; hence we may not place speakers where they sound the best.
Old 27th March 2014, 10:33   #2147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Can the speakers be mounted higher than the listening level, say 2 - 3 feet higher? Also, is the sound stage adversely affected by placing one speaker more to the side than the other, say the left speaker is 3 feet away from the center whilst the right side speaker is 5 feet away?

Navin, in layman language can you confirm why the AVR and speakers should not be placed on the same shelf / platform?
The soundstage of most stereo music lies somewhere between the 2 speakers. Thats what good engineers expect and that's how they record the music (the technical term in panning; but it is not related to kitchen items your wife throws at you when the music is too loud).

Now if your speakers are at different distances from you, you will hear the closer speaker a bit louder and a little sooner than the farther speaker. It hence can be derived that to the extent one speaker is closer to you the differences can be marginally or very much pronounced.

There are some exceptions of course. Direct-reflecting speakers (like the Bose 901) will spread the soundstage out but at the same time at no place in the room will one get a tight and true stereo image. Not all Bose models are true to this standard.

So that covers height and width of the speaker placement.

Now lets get to where (aka why not on the shelf).

By placing the speakers on the same shelf as the electronics you are vibrating the electronics. If you touch the shelf or the amplifiers you will feel these vibrations. This is not too bad but when it come to disk players (aka DVD and CD players) it can cause a positive-feedback loop of acoustic energy where wil you get significant distortion in the sound.
Old 28th March 2014, 03:26   #2148
Senior - BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I am looking to assemble a 5.1 system (update to 7.2 in future) for about $2000 for speakers and $500-$600 for AVR. Sound proofing and stuff won't be considered since i live in a leased apartment. Wiring costs will be extra and that is not a concern.

I have two line of thoughts, one is to spend $2k or so on speakers and not upgrade for atleast 6-8 years or spend around $1000-$1200 and upgrade in 3-4 years.

For AVR, i am considering Yamaha RX-V675 as i am getting good price on it. Another is Sony 1040 or Onkyo NR626 but the reviews for both are strictly average. So considering V675 as my AVR I am considering following systems:

Long Term equipment:

- Wharfedale's Diamond 10.1, 10.4 and 10.1 CS for speakers and HSU or SVS Sub. What is the members opinion for these speaker set? (

- PSB Image T5 as floor standing, C4 as center and image B4 for surrounds. Anyone has heard this? It will be around $1700 so with sub i will exceed but it can be done if i like what i hear.

Short term equipment:

- Polk Audio TSX440T, TSX250C and TSX110B for about $1k plus sub. I have heard this and liked the music i heard from my mp3 player. I listened it in a regular store (Frys) so don't know how good a yardstick it is.

- Compared to Polk, i can consider Boston Acoustics - A250 (FS), A26 (BS), A225C (CS) for about similar price.

It will be used 60% for music and rest for movies through Netflix or Blu ray. I would like to narrow done few choices before i make 100 mile road trip to test this out.

I would appreciate if members can opine about the above systems.
Old 16th April 2014, 00:46   #2149
BHPian

Was planning on a vintage stereo set up.Wanted to start it slow, so when I got an offer on these Sansui's,I did not think twice.
My initial purchase includes:
AM/FM Stereo Tuner TU-317
Cassette deck SC-1110
Graphic Equalizer SE-7.
Except for some mild scuff mark on the top,they are in near mint condition for 1978 release.
Looking to get a nice stereo amp,turntable etc.Will keep you posted.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:52   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Can the speakers be mounted higher than the listening level, say 2 - 3 feet higher? Also, is the sound stage adversely affected by placing one speaker more to the side than the other, say the left speaker is 3 feet away from the center whilst the right side speaker is 5 feet away?

Navin, in layman language can you confirm why the AVR and speakers should not be placed on the same shelf / platform?
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/...m_medium=email

A very good link which also help with wiring diagram.
Old 27th April 2014, 01:32   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
Was planning on a vintage stereo set up.Wanted to start it slow, so when I got an offer on these Sansui's,I did not think twice.
My initial purchase includes:
AM/FM Stereo Tuner TU-317
Cassette deck SC-1110
Graphic Equalizer SE-7.
Except for some mild scuff mark on the top,they are in near mint condition for 1978 release.
Looking to get a nice stereo amp,turntable etc.Will keep you posted.
Adding to my above are:

Sansui AU-317 stereo amp
Technics- Linear drive SL-J3 Turntable.
Old 1st May 2014, 22:35   #2152
BHPian

Dear Audiogurus, I have zeroed in Boston Acoustics Soundware XS-5.1 speaker system for my HT setup. Suggest me a good AV receiver, My preferences are 80% movies and 20% music. Following have grabbed rave reviews on the web.
  • Denon X1000
  • Yamaha RX-V373/V473
Old 9th May 2014, 22:10   #2153
Distinguished - BHPian

Airtel has silently updated the firmware of the HD set top box, which now has an option for streaming Dolby Digital Plus content through both HDMI and optical out. Found a new audio settings menu today and at last, true 5.1ch content is being played on my Home theatre.
Old 10th May 2014, 00:20   #2154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Airtel has silently updated the firmware of the HD set top box, which now has an option for streaming Dolby Digital Plus content through both HDMI and optical out. Found a new audio settings menu today and at last, true 5.1ch content is being played on my Home theatre.
Whoa ! Thanks for the heads up!
Now I know what to check first thing tomorrow morning
Old 10th May 2014, 05:22   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Dear Audiogurus, I have zeroed in Boston Acoustics Soundware XS-5.1 speaker system for my HT setup. Suggest me a good AV receiver, My preferences are 80% movies and 20% music. Following have grabbed rave reviews on the web.
  • Denon X1000
  • Yamaha RX-V373/V473
RX-V373/473 are two generation old receivers. Is it because of budget concerns? I would suggest atleast a RX-V475 ($200 at most online retailers) if not RX-V477.

Last edited by chevelle : 10th May 2014 at 05:23.
Old 12th May 2014, 00:56   #2156
BHPian

As informed in my earlier posts,find below the vintage stereo Gear I procured.
With all the HDMI,Optical, nonsense whatever,,these just play music how it should be played,pure and unadulterated.
There is something about these Vintage SANSUI amps
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-dsc_7816.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-dsc_7818.jpg  

The Home Theater thread-dsc_7819.jpg  

Old 13th May 2014, 22:03   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
I am seeing it in my settings too. How are you connecting the STB to get this sound effect.
My connection is this, STB to TV through HDMI. TV to HT through Optical. The moment i change the effect to DD+ for HDMI, i get no sound. I tried STB to HT via HDMI and HT to TV through HDMI. Still same.
I can optical out STB to HT, but then cant watch my HD movies in my HDD connected to TV.
Old 13th May 2014, 22:17   #2158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am seeing it in my settings too. How are you connecting the STB to get this sound effect.
My connection is this, STB to TV through HDMI. TV to HT through Optical. The moment i change the effect to DD+ for HDMI, i get no sound. I tried STB to HT via HDMI and HT to TV through HDMI. Still same.
I can optical out STB to HT, but then cant watch my HD movies in my HDD connected to TV.
Only HDMI. From STB to TV is via HDMI 1.3 cable to HDMI 3 and from TVs HDMI 1 to Sony HT via HDMI v1.4 cable. I select auto format detect on HT and for other channels, stereo sound is played without any output from surround speakers. With HD channel it is true 5.1ch. Watched fast and furious tokyo drift and a few other movies and its truly a good experience compared to the Pro-Logic decoding that was being done before. I think in your case TV is playing foul with transferring the signal from HDMI to optical.

Note that if you wish to transmit audio via HDMI to HT, the TV as well as HT should support Audio-Return channel on the HDMI port used. In my TV, only HDMI 1 has ARC capability.

After some times of disappointment, I am now satisfied with the setup

Last edited by audioholic : 13th May 2014 at 22:18.
Old 13th May 2014, 22:26   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Only HDMI. From STB to TV is via HDMI 1.3 cable to HDMI 3 and from TVs HDMI 1 to Sony HT via HDMI v1.4 cable. I select auto format detect on HT and for other channels, stereo sound is played without any output from surround speakers. With HD channel it is true 5.1ch. Watched fast and furious tokyo drift and a few other movies and its truly a good experience compared to the Pro-Logic decoding that was being done before. I think in your case TV is playing foul with transferring the signal from HDMI to optical.

Note that if you wish to transmit audio via HDMI to HT, the TV as well as HT should support Audio-Return channel on the HDMI port used. In my TV, only HDMI 1 has ARC capability.

After some times of disappointment, I am now satisfied with the setup
My TV isnt ARC compatible, so went the optical route earlier.
Is STB HDMI out ARC compatible or how to check if my Yamaha HDMI is ARC enabled?
Old 13th May 2014, 23:46   #2160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
My TV isnt ARC compatible, so went the optical route earlier.
Is STB HDMI out ARC compatible or how to check if my Yamaha HDMI is ARC enabled?
STB HDMI out needn't be ARC compatible since it just outputs sound along with the video signal. Suppose your STB had to receive audio signals, it would need ARC compatiblity.

If your Yamaha receiver has multiple HDMI input outputs, then check which one of them support ARC. Else you will have to take a different route for delivering Audio back to HT.

When you play a movie from Hard disk on TV, is dolby sound sent to HT via optical? Does that work? If yes then there is something to do with TV and STB.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks