Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 14:20   #2191

Hi friends, has anybody here tried covering analogue audio signal into digital audio signal using a converter. I have tried it,, but have not seen much improvement.

Any expert suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th August 2014, 14:27   #2192
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafalkon View Post
Hi friends, has anybody here tried covering analogue audio signal into digital audio signal using a converter. I have tried it,, but have not seen much improvement.

Thanks in advance.
But what improvement were you looking for? And why convert?
Old 5th August 2014, 14:36   #2193

I am trying to take the audio output from my TV and feed it to my HT system. But the TV out is RCA and would prefer the input in my HT system to be digital (optical/co axial).

Well digital audio signals are much better than analogue signals, as they have multi channels , and better to listen on a home theatre system.
Old 5th August 2014, 15:01   #2194
BHPian

Quote:
Well digital audio signals are much better than analogue signals, as they have multi channels , and better to listen on a home theatre system.

Unless the source is good its irrelevant whether its an analog or a digital signal , digital is not any magic format which can make an analog sound to sound good. Mostly its used to do any DSP on an analog signal, so you cant expect any improvement by switching the formats.
Old 6th August 2014, 07:48   #2195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
. Regarding the AVR , interested in Marantz 1604 or Yamaha RXV 675.

I have the cousin to the Yamaha in an RX-A810. It's amazing. Use it in a complete Yamaha setup - floor standers, center and surround book shelves, sub as well. Feels like a theater. Rarely do we visit a movie theater these days. The network access and phone app are other big pluses. I have no experience with any other receiver so cannot comment on the Marantz.
Old 6th August 2014, 15:53   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If you have a set top box then take the optical output from there to the HT.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:12   #2197

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
If you have a set top box then take the optical output from there to the HT.
My set top box doesn't have an optical out. Hence currently taking all the analogue out and using my TV as a switcher and the analogue out from the TV is taken to the signal converter, and the optical out from the converter to my AV receiver.
Old 9th August 2014, 23:12   #2198
BHPian

Hello Friends need expert advice on AVR. I am getting Harman Kardon HKTS 65 / HKTS 35 / HKTS 30 home theater speaker system for a very good deal. Which one would the experts here suggest? Also more importantly which AVR / Amplifier / Receiver would you suggest. Would Denon AVR X-500 a good option?
Old 10th August 2014, 11:06   #2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Hello Friends need expert advice on AVR. I am getting Harman Kardon HKTS 65 / HKTS 35 / HKTS 30 home theater speaker system for a very good deal. Which one would the experts here suggest? Also more importantly which AVR / Amplifier / Receiver would you suggest. Would Denon AVR X-500 a good option?
I feel the more expensive it is, the better the quality would be. So go for the best if you can afford it. Cheers.
Old 10th August 2014, 13:45   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
I feel the more expensive it is, the better the quality would be. So go for the best if you can afford it. Cheers.
That theory may not hold good always. My fear I should not end up with a high spec speaker and an under power receiver or vise versa. Need suggestions on the right avr for hktr 65 or hktr 35. Would avr from harman stable be a good option.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:45   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
not end up with a high spec speaker and an under power receiver or vise versa
Always start from the speakers, once the speakers are identified hunt for the suitable amp for those speakers.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:57   #2202
BHPian

Quote:
Nope - Not necessarily true.

Quote:
That theory may not hold good always. My fear I should not end up with a high spec speaker and an under power receiver or vise versa. Need suggestions on the right avr for hktr 65 or hktr 35. Would avr from harman stable be a good option.
I tried to get some info but did not have any concrete answers - your best bet is actually to zero down on the Receiver and then audition the speakers. I have never liked the 'combo' packs on HTs or even Home Audio setup. What you are trying is the opposite and I don't really think that is the ideal way to go. Still, please ask the question at www.hifivision.com - Might get better answers.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 11th August 2014 at 13:59.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:20   #2203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Nope - Not necessarily true.

I tried to get some info but did not have any concrete answers - your best bet is actually to zero down on the Receiver and then audition the speakers. I have never liked the 'combo' packs on HTs or even Home Audio setup. What you are trying is the opposite and I don't really think that is the ideal way to go. Still, please ask the question at www.hifivision.com - Might get better answers.
Hey thanks for the reply. I have ordered HKTS 65 speakers now and hunting for a good receiver. Some of the options I have are as follows:

Denon 1000X / 500X

HK AVR 171 / 270 / 370

I am getting very good option on HK and it is reducing my overall budget by 50%. Not sure if I should go for it or decide on Denon or Onkyo, Yamaha options.

Will definitely post in Hifivision for a reply.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:32   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Denon 1000X / 500X
HK AVR 171 / 270 / 370

I am getting very good option on HK and it is reducing my overall budget by 50%. Not sure if I should go for it or decide on Denon or Onkyo, Yamaha options.
Whatever you decide - in this day and age, do not buy something that does not have Airplay, Internet Radio, Spotify, Pandora, DLNA etc.

It will be difficult for you to audition this, so your best bet is asking on the forum and looking at the output capacity of the AVRs and match those to the speakers.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:52   #2205
BHPian

Denon AVR Remote Repair - DIY

Just wanted to share my experience of the remote control repair of my Denon AVR. Mods: If this is inappropriate please delete

With the lowering of HT prices, pretty much all of us look to buy one and I being an absolute movie maniac did this the first thing when I came to Bangy.With my limited knowledge and numerous trials I finally bought the Denon HT system from Modern World. No problems whatsoever in the 3 years so far.

Now about a couple of months back - the volume keys of the remote suddenly stopped working and no amount of putting it in sunshine or changing batteries would help. And it became a pain to watch movies with varying sounds

So I called the service center and told them the problem, they flatly told me that it needs to be replaced and costs around INR 1800. I told them it was just a remote. No amount of coaxing them helped.So I thought, let me buy a Universal Remote to get rid of all my remotes - but again could not find on which was 'assured' of supporting Denon.
Finally last week, I though, heck let me buy it online but before that I thought, it is just a remote after all - Let me rip it apart and see if I can mend it. So, there I was, took out my toolkit and started to take off the remote. It looks fragile but can be one hell of a task. Remove the crew, then use a blunt knife to pan out the cover and keep going at it.

Finally, 15 minutes into the task and about 1am in the night, I managed to pry them open. Took out a liquid 'containing' acetone (normal thinner would also do the job) and used a cotton swab to clean the panel. There are these black spots which come in contact with the circuits to produce the signal - which 'seemed' to be the issue.

After cleaning them, let them be dry, and, put it back together and voila it was working - A cool saving of close to 2k!

I believe this can be applied to all remotes (if some keys are not working) and you could probably save some money - plus a good feeling

Hope it helps.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 11th August 2014 at 14:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks