Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 10:32   #2686
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Elac B6. Need to see if this can be auditioned in Bangalore else I will listen to the Polks and pick the Polk's if I like the sound.
Viddy - I'd auditioned the Elac speakers 3 years ago (probably not the B6) at Modern World on old airport road (Domlur service road outlet). @Keroo has also mentioned the address of this place.
Another place where I auditioned speakers were at Audio Planet (right behind the Koramangala BDA Complex). If I remember correctly, he deals with Mordaunt Short, Cambridge Audio, Kef, etc

You may also want to try the pre-worshipped market where prices are lot on lower side.
Old 7th September 2016, 10:41   #2687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Marantz NR 1506 + Polk TSX220b
2. Marantz NR 1506 + Dali Zensor 1
3. Denon AV-X520BT + Elac B6
4. Denon AV-X520BT + Dali Zensor 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
You have this sorted my friend,happy purchasing. My money is on no.4.
Without hearing any of the above I agree. No 4 looks to be the best option.

1. The Zensor 3 being more efficient than the Zensor 1 will squeeze every drop of power from the puny 520BT. Also since it has a bigger woofer it will stave off the desire to get a subwoofer for a bit.

2. The 520BT has all the features Vid6639 needs. I don't see any reason to get the 1506 (except for a warmer soundstage).
Old 7th September 2016, 10:42   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Coming to the problem since you have ruled out the problem in your tv, try a smaller length hdmi cable.he AVR hdmi in. See if this helps.
Update firm wares and could use a different source to the AVR HDMI in to see if it still flickers.
Lastly you can get the HDMI connector on the AVR checked to see if its faulty. Its actually a hit and trial and you dont really know if its software or hardware related.
Thank you for the suggestions. I am using a 50ft cable for my projector and that video output was working fine. I tried with multiple inputs as I have a media player and a STB connected to the AVR. I also updated the firmware for the AVR two weeks back.
I wonder if the bad HDMI port on the AVR spoilt the mother board of my tv, any idea if that is possible?
Old 7th September 2016, 11:14   #2689
Senior - BHPian

I highly doubt it. Normally tv motherboards go kaput with sudden surges or dips in electricity.
Try running your projector through HDMI out 1 and tv through out 2.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:17   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The smallest amp that I know of that has pre-outs and can drive the 440 is the Denon 720. (remember I said "that I know of").
I gave a thought and decided that I need and 5.1 or 7.1 setup, also me and wife are more comfortable listening music from Phone with Bluetooth, so decided to go with the Receiver which has 5.1 or 7.1 and Bluetooth.

Read many reviews on Polkaudio and Denon, found that most of the users are using Denon with Polkaudio. So I booked Denon AVR 520BT, but I am still confused, and might go for Denon AVR X1200W

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey Pawan, I bought it from ProFX @ Atria Mall.
I booked it at http://www.thesoundscape.in Pune dealer. Last he offered is 37800/-, actually visiting Mumbai and getting speakers to pune anyway gonna costs me those extra bucks, so decided to buy it from Pune and avoid Pune-Mumbai trip.

But after paying advance I found that I should not have bought it from this dealer. I had paid advance for speakers but when I was trying to book Receiver from someone else, Kartik from www.thesoundscape.in clearly told me that, if I buy receiver from other seller he will not be able to provide service or consultancy, for installation/setup etc. If I need his service/support I have to buy Speaker and Receiver both from him. Also 10 days delivery time he needed to be delivered .

For other Pune buyers, avoid www.thesoundscape.in this dealer.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:20   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
Here's the combos I've worked out based on budget:

1. Marantz NR 1506 + Polk TSX220b
2. Marantz NR 1506 + Dali Zensor 1
3. Denon AV-X520BT + Elac B6
4. Denon AV-X520BT + Dali Zensor 3
I would suggest you go for Marantz NR1506 and an appropriate speaker combo. I am suggesting this only because of 1 feature that is available on Marantz that you dont get on any other AVR < 60K - The Front Pre-Outs.

The advantage is you can upgrade your setup to include a dedicated Stereo Amplifier at a later stage and can be connected to Marantz through the Pre-outs. In this setup, The Marantz will act as a DAC and also will power the surround speakers while the stereo amp will take care of powering your front speakers.

Denon has pre-outs only for AVRs above x3200, and Yamaha has it only for rx-v 779, 781, RX-A850 and above.

If it were me, This is what I would do.

I will go for option 2 Marantz NR1506 + Polk/Dali. Once the upgrade bug bite me, I will add a NAD 326/356 stereo amp + a Floor standing speaker Polk 440/Dali Zensor 5.
Depending on the budget, I can reposition the Book Shelves to surround after getting a centre + SW or I will continue the Book Shelves as second set of speakers connected to Marantz for occasional listening when I do not feel like switching on the NAD + FS combo.

Think about this before deciding on denon 520. It do not have any room for upgrade unless you replace your receiver.

Last edited by Holyghost : 7th September 2016 at 11:24.
Old 7th September 2016, 11:45   #2692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I would suggest you go for Marantz NR1506 and an appropriate speaker combo.

I will go for option 2 Marantz NR1506 + Polk/Dali. Once the upgrade bug bite me, I will add a NAD 326/356 stereo amp + a Floor standing speaker Polk 440/Dali Zensor 5.
Good point. In this case I would take the Dali 1 over the Polk 220. The Dali 1 is almost perfect size for an unobtrusive rear. The Polk 220, Dali 3, etc are all larger.

Only challenge here is living with the limited bass and max SPL abilities of the 1506+dali 1 system. Assume you will loose about 10Hz in the bass (between the Dali 1 and Dali 3) and about 2db in overall SPL (above 200hz) a little more if you are measuring from (50Hz).

Disclaimer: I have not heard any of the products in this discussion.
Old 7th September 2016, 14:04   #2693
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Monopoles seem to be preferred by those who come from the 2 channel world.
Forgot to update this thread.
Finally, settled for the Q acoustics 2000i (monopoles) mini bookshelves for use as surrounds.

So the final setup is:
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 (bought new)
Subwoofer:Focal Chorus SW 700 V (bought used)
Front Floor Standers (L & R): Focal Chorus 726 (bought new)
Center: Focal Electra CC30 (Older series & model, bought used)
Surrounds:Q acoustics 2000i bookshelves (bought new)

Gradually built this setup over 3 years starting with AVR and Floor standers first, then the Center channel, the Sub and finally the surrounds

Last edited by NPV : 7th September 2016 at 14:08.
Old 7th September 2016, 23:06   #2694
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Got this bad boy home today. The Denon X2200. Fired up the Polks for the first time and already enjoyed a show on YouTube. Must say, the combination offers sound depth & clarity that is incredibly satisfying. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Going to add a subwoofer soon.

The Home Theater thread-20160907-18.27.41.jpg

The Home Theater thread-20160907-18.27.21.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Hey, you should go check out sound decisions, at Khar.
Thanks, but I'm very pleased with the folks @ ProFX. They spent 2 hours at my place today giving me the lowdown on using the amp, suggestions etc. Nice people. A pleasure to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Denon 2200 is not the only fish in the sea. I would look at Yamaha and Onkyo and for a little bit more you have Marantz and NAD.
Buddy, while I want good sound, I'm not the one who'll go auditioning 5 different amps at 5 different places . No time, no inclination.

In the world of audio, think of me as the 'Honda City' customer. I'll go with the most recommended & 'can't go wrong' option. Won't even bother test-driving the other cars....err, amplifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
When setting up a home theater system, it is never easy to work on a budget, and you've just started
Now want to get a subwoofer . Though the Polks offer decent bass, there's none of that 'thub thub' that I'm addicted to.
Old 8th September 2016, 10:29   #2695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got this bad boy home today. The Denon X2200. Fired up the Polks for the first time and already enjoyed a show on YouTube. Must say, the combination offers sound depth & clarity that is incredibly satisfying. Thanks guys for all the suggestions!

Don't forget a MATCHING center and a pair of small surrounds. The small 110 Polks are good enough for surrounds. Typically for Blu Ray 5.1 movies about 40-60% of the sound is from the L & R speakers, 25-30% is from the center and only 15-20% is from the surrounds. So you do not need huge surrounds. If your room is big go for monopoles, if your room is small bipoles; dipoles are an idea whose time as gone, now they are just a solution looking for a problem. My opinion.
Old 8th September 2016, 10:42   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Don't forget a MATCHING center and a pair of small surrounds. The small 110 Polks are good enough for surrounds. Typically for Blu Ray 5.1 movies about 40-60% of the sound is from the L & R speakers, 25-30% is from the center and only 15-20% is from the surrounds. So you do not need huge surrounds. If your room is big go for monopoles, if your room is small bipoles; dipoles are an idea whose time as gone, now they are just a solution looking for a problem. My opinion.
My 2 cents..
When you are talking movies/5.1 agree with the surrounds, but do not underestimate your center speaker.

I would say go for a very good quality center speaker. So that you do not end up with the dialogue in the movie getting drowned by the L/R and surround speakers.

Depending on the type of movie it may even be that 50% comes out of the centre speaker.
(Note: The AVR will let you adjust the individual speaker volumes, but still a good speaker can make a difference. )

Last edited by Fillmore : 8th September 2016 at 10:43.
Old 8th September 2016, 10:44   #2697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
My 2 cents..
When you are talking movies/5.1 agree with the surrounds, but do not underestimate your center speaker.
I believe GTO is looking at the matching center aka 250C from Polk.
Old 8th September 2016, 11:04   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Now want to get a subwoofer . Though the Polks offer decent bass, there's none of that 'thub thub' that I'm addicted to.

For your need I recommend SVS PB series. PB 1000 is for small or medium room. PB 2000 shall be even better. Price may be 45k and 60k, though current prices may be lower. Alliance at Goregaon deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
My 2 cents..

I would say go for a very good quality center speaker. So that you do not end up with the dialogue in the movie getting drowned by the L/R and surround speakers.

Depending on the type of movie it may even be that 50% comes out of the centre speaker.
(Note: The AVR will let you adjust the individual speaker volumes, but still a good speaker can make a difference. )
Valid point. One should prefer some horn tweeter or metallic twitter over soft dome twitter in centre. Experts may please suggest good spraker.
Old 8th September 2016, 11:19   #2699
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Super!
I'm assuming you're getting the Polk center channel/speaker from the same series as well.
What are the subs you're considering ?
Old 8th September 2016, 12:53   #2700
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What are the subs you're considering ?
Which one of Polk should I get?

Hall is ~600 sq ft (but sitting area is right in the middle....and TV at an extreme end).

All 4 models listed here - Link. Which one would be properly powered by my amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
For your need I recommend SVS PB series. PB 1000 is for small or medium room. PB 2000 shall be even better. Price may be 45k and 60k, though current prices may be lower. Alliance at Goregaon deal with it.
Don't want to spend 60k on a subwoofer man.

Most Viewed