Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2016, 11:15   #2671
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That definitely helps Thing is if the deal works out i might get it for a sub 20k price. So at that price it's a no brainer i guess.
Did you buy this? Can you share your review?

Secondly, I don't see this product at this price range anywhere.
Old 5th September 2016, 23:06   #2672
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
keep a small budget for a nice servo stabilizer if you want to keep all your equipment safe and sound.
Thanks! Any links / suggestions for the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Receiver/Processor: Denon AVR-X2200W
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Denon 2200/2300
Thanks guys! Done. Have called for the Denon 2200. Will come back to this thread when it's time to buy the subwoofer.

BTW, we're already at 2.5 times the original budget I came to this thread with. And I still have to buy a subwoofer, center speaker + rear speakers!!! Now I know what happened to all those poor guys in the ICE section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hi, Need your help. Please let me know from which showroom you bought speakers.
Hey Pawan, I bought it from ProFX @ Atria Mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
Also spend most of the money on centre speaker and sub-woofer as they convey most (~80%) of the sound information. For sub woofer, a non ported design would be nice for small rooms.
Thanks. I appreciate the advice!
Old 5th September 2016, 23:32   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Should match with these speakers (don't know if any specs are to be kept in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, you should go check out sound decisions, at Khar. Nice old guy named Sunil, won't cheat, a very honest guy, official supplier and really nice works man ship. He will give you just what you need as per your requirements. Sound FX and other places have stuff that is heavily priced in my opinion, that's how they afford the places they are at.
Once I had to collect some stuff which went over board and couldn't pay him at that moment. He said come whenever next and pay it "Once my customer, always my customer"
Sunil - 91463 94232
Old 6th September 2016, 06:19   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Any links / suggestions for the same?
I got mine from from here.

http://www.toroidal.com/voltage-stabilizers

You could also ask for suggestions from ProFX, I am sure you will have local manufacturers that provide something similar.
Old 6th September 2016, 10:44   #2675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I use Miracle too. Both for power transformers and Voltage Stabilization.

Quote:
Thanks guys! Done. Have called for the Denon 2200.

BTW, we're already at 2.5 times the original budget I came to this thread with. And I still have to buy a subwoofer, center speaker + rear speakers!!! Now I know what happened to all those poor guys in the ICE section.
1. Denon 2200 is not the only fish in the sea. I would look at Yamaha and Onkyo and for a little bit more you have Marantz and NAD.

2. Well you bought a pair of floorstanders. Now you have to get the matching center.

Subs: Rhythmic, REL, SVS, Velodyne.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:16   #2676
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When setting up a home theater system, it is never easy to work on a budget, and you've just started

Happy hunting, hope you zero in on the right set of speakers and the AVR

As Navin mentioned, do compare the Denon with Onkyo, Yamaha (usually comparable pricing for features on offer), Marantz and NAD (higher end, more expensive).

Do not make a decision after just trying the Denon. Try all the others and then make the decision, will be well worth it. Of course you may end up deciding on a lower priced one but you will not regret having done a fair comparison. All the best!
Old 6th September 2016, 14:26   #2677
Team-BHP Support

I have been bitten with the home audio bug. What started off as buying a soundbar to improve the old TV sound and listen to some music is now turned into a home audio upgrade.

Soundbar or HTIB:
Initial idea was to get a sound bar or HTIB. I dont watch a lot of 5.1 movies just the regular TataSKY HD broadcast and recently streaming movies from chrome cast using netflix or hotstar. The Blu ray player gets used once in a few months. Music I do listen to but due to no proper system at home I was confined to headphones. Mom listens to some classical music as well as her TV shows mostly hindi soaps. After hearing the soundbars and HTIB's the idea went completely out the window.

What about true Stereo setup?
After deciding against the 5.1 ch HTIB or soundbar I moved to a 2.1 setup. Navin suggested I look at stereo amps and not AV receivers as they were focused more on audio than movies/video. It made sense however we soon realised that entry level stereo amps had major shortcomings. Either the number of input sources were limited (no USB, BT) or there was no scope to add a subwoofer later on. If you wanted any of these you would need to stretch to a much higher spec stereo amp that would be way out of my budget and unnecessary since I was only looking at TV as the source as well as my collection of MP3's and not some high end audio sources.

Custom setup:
Then we saw some AVR's from Yamaha, Denon and Marantz. These simplified all my sources as I could connect them to the AVR plus most of them had USB inputs as well as BT and even Wi-Fi. I would also get the option to upgrade to 5.1 ch later on if I felt the need.

Bookshelf speakers:
The next step was speakers. I didn't want floor standers as there was a shortage space in already full living room. So I decided to stick to bookshelf speakers. From all the speakers I checked online, I decided to audition Polk TSx220b and Q acoustics 2010i/2020i.

I went to one store to check these out. Sadly he didn't have the Polk's but instead had the Dali Zensor 3 and Mission MX-2.

Mission MX-2 / Dali Zensor 3
Fellow mod Khan_Sultan and I heard the Mission's and were left looking at each other wondering if we went in too high an expectation with bookshelf speakers. They were loud but very unimpressive. The soundstage felt narrow and the sound appeared mixed with no separation of instruments. There was no clear high end and absolutely no punch/bass at the low end. The shop owner then switched over to Tannoy and then Dali floor standers which sounded awesome. At that moment in time, I saw my budget disappearing along with my bank balance. We then asked him to plug the Dali Zensor 3 book shelves. Hearing these speakers got a smile on our faces. They were very impressive. The soundstage was wider, the clarity was far far better and the bass was strong. Even the MP3 songs from my ipod sounded really good on the Dali's.

Sadly the speakers were a little more than 30K which was out of my budget along with the AV-R. Dali also has a Zensor 1 which sounds similar in the signature but it wasn't available for audition. Being a 5.25" driver vs the Zensor 3's 7" driver my guess is the bass is the biggest differentiation and the over soundstage would be similar. With the Zensor 1, my guess is a sub would be necessary. The Zensor 1 is around 20K, similar to the Polk TSX220b.

What next?
So now I am currently looking at auditioning the Polk TSx220b and deciding between the Polk's and the Dali Zensor 3 or Zensor 1. Though I do not want to stretch to the Zensor 3. After reading some reviews I found there's a speaker which is as good if not better than the Dali Zensor 3/1 and might be closer to Zensor 1. The Elac B6. Need to see if this can be auditioned in Bangalore else I will listen to the Polks and pick the Polk's if I like the sound.

For the AV-R I've shortlisted to Denon entry level AV-X520BT or the Marantz NR1506. With the Marantz I'll be overshooting the budget which is what I haven't decided yet. Ruled out the Yamaha's as music was higher priority than 5.1 movies and the Yamaha RX-V479 was priced the same as the Marantz and my guess is the Marantz would be a better choice over the Yamaha.

Hoping to close out on this 2.0 setup before Dussera/Diwali and then look at adding a sub after a few months.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th September 2016 at 14:35.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:14   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So now I am currently looking at auditioning the Polk TSx220b and deciding between the Polk's and the Dali Zensor 3 or Zensor 1. Though I do not want to stretch to the Zensor 3. After reading some reviews I found there's a speaker which is as good if not better than the Dali Zensor 3/1 and might be closer to Zensor 1. The Elac B6. Need to see if this can be auditioned in Bangalore else I will listen to the Polks and pick the Polk's if I like the sound.
Most speakers designed by Andrew Jones have received very good reviews. You could try your luck with the ELAC dealers I found of the net:

1. http://www.tritoneindia.com/contact-us.php

2. Modern World
#13&14,Service Road, Old Airport Road, Domlur, Bangalore-560 071.
Tel: 25358192 / 25359406
Mobile: 7760988167
modernworld@vsnl.com

If you are not averse to going the local/DIY route (great value for money) you can try contacting Rajesh at the address below and see if he still makes his own speakers. Some of the stuff he made was v v good. I still have a valve integrated that he built for me and he also dabbled in making his own turntable.

Audio Vision,
No. 34, 80 Feet Road,
Indiranagar, HAL 2nd Stage,
Bengaluru - 560 075,
Tel: +91 (855) 3050505, 3010804, 3010805
India
Old 6th September 2016, 21:12   #2679
Senior - BHPian

@vid6639 - If you are not really going to use the various functions of an AVR and are pre dominantly looking to add better sound to your tv, I would highly recommend you have a look at the NAD D3020. It is a hybrid integrated amp with inbuilt DAC that should not only suffice but also give you exceptional quality.Its small, light with negligible footprint but will have you covered for all connections including BT and a sub out. Dont be fooled by its 30 watt rms per channel. I have used it to run the KEF ls50's to more than acceptable levels.
Again all this depends if you not really going to be using the up conversion/hdmi/etc etc of the avr. Also entry level AVR's often leave you wanting. One digital out from your tv to the Nad and you sorted.All video processing done by your tv.
As far speaker have a look at the BA A26( very cheap very very good), ZENSOR 3( 1 if the 3 are out of budget), warfdale diamonds 10.1/10.2, elacs b5/b6 or the Pioneer SP-FS52-LR( floor standers but within the price range).
Eventually you can buy a better AVR and put the NAD to dedicated music duty.

Last edited by bigron : 6th September 2016 at 21:19.
Old 6th September 2016, 21:39   #2680
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
I got mine from from here.

http://www.toroidal.com/voltage-stabilizers

You could also ask for suggestions from ProFX, I am sure you will have local manufacturers that provide something similar.
I have a V Guard stabilizer for my Hitachi AC that seems to be working fine. I bought it after the AC circuit board blew off due to a surge and the replacement was like Rs 1500 and the AC repair guy advised me to get one since Hitachis are very sensitive to fluctuations.

I wanted to get one for my home theater as well and saw one V Guard model- V-Guard DIGI 200 costing Rs 4390 on Amazon. There are two more models for 1574 and 2644 based on the TV size. Should I go for V Guard or the one you mentioned? My setup is a 55" TV, a Bose 2.1 system and a Set Top Box. Currently all these are connected to a Belkin surge protector. Also is it fine to directly plugin the surge protector to the stabilizer out, or should they be connected separately?

Last edited by mxh : 6th September 2016 at 21:40.
Old 6th September 2016, 21:58   #2681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@vid6639 - If you are not really going to use the various functions of an AVR and are pre dominantly looking to add better sound to your tv, I would highly recommend you have a look at the NAD D3020. It is a hybrid integrated amp with inbuilt DAC that should not only suffice but also give you exceptional quality.Its small, light with negligible footprint but will have you covered for all connections including BT and a sub out. Dont be fooled by its 30 watt rms per channel. I have used it to run the KEF ls50's to more than acceptable levels.
Again all this depends if you not really going to be using the up conversion/hdmi/etc etc of the avr. Also entry level AVR's often leave you wanting. One digital out from your tv to the Nad and you sorted.All video processing done by your tv.
Thanks bigron. The NAD does look like a great product but at 50K (hifimart) it's basically my entire budget gone in the amp. I'm really starting from very low requirements. Even though it's TV, I'm nowhere close to an Audiophile. Most of the music I have is like mp3 and a lot of it is pop/rock/electronic stuff. A NAD at 50K I thin it's simply an overkill.

I was looking at the AVR as I could look at adding 5.1ch capability by adding the surround speakers after a year or so. This way the setup is staggered and I change/upgrade stuff in a staggered manner.

The stereo amps will ofcourse do a better job but I figured it's better to start off with an all in one and then see if I need special hardware for improving the setup.

Quote:
As far speaker have a look at the BA A26( very cheap very very good), ZENSOR 3( 1 if the 3 are out of budget), warfdale diamonds 10.1/10.2, elacs b5/b6 or the Pioneer SP-FS52-LR( floor standers but within the price range).
Eventually you can buy a better AVR and put the NAD to dedicated music duty.
The BA A26 reviews seem to be very good and Amazon has them for 13K. Very tempting!

Aren't the Wharfedale 10.1 and 10.2 the older models vs the new Diamond 220. From all the reviews I've heard they are laid back and warm on the audio front and that's not what I am looking for. I prefer punchier sound like the Zensor 3 which was a little bright as well as punchy.

Here's the combos I've worked out based on budget:

1. Marantz NR 1506 + Polk TSX220b
2. Marantz NR 1506 + Dali Zensor 1
3. Denon AV-X520BT + Elac B6
4. Denon AV-X520BT + Dali Zensor 3

Will finalize after listening to the Polk's, Elac B6 and Zensor 1 over the coming days.
Old 6th September 2016, 22:08   #2682
Senior - BHPian

You have this sorted my friend,happy purchasing. My money is on no.4.

Last edited by bigron : 6th September 2016 at 22:10.
Old 6th September 2016, 22:16   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Should I go for V Guard or the one you mentioned? My setup is a 55" TV, a Bose 2.1 system and a Set Top Box. Currently all these are connected to a Belkin surge protector. Also is it fine to directly plugin the surge protector to the stabilizer out, or should they be connected separately?
Hey I am no expert on stabilizers, but have been using Miracle for well over 10 years, for myself (audio and house), and also for the houses that I have designed and have never had a complaint so far.

The V-guard seems to be a 1.5 Kva unit, but doesn't say servo so really can't tell you if it's as good as a servo. I think you should get a 1.0/1.5 Kva servo from Miracle for about the same price, but please call and ask them and tell them it's for audio use.

Vasanthy P Mrs..| Admin Department .| E mail: admin@miracle.net.in
Miracle Electronic Devices Pvt. Ltd
Domestic Unit|65/2, KamakshipalayaIndl Area, Magadi Road,
Bangalore- 560079 [INDIA] |Tel: - + 91 80 23485149 / 23489971 | Fax: +91 80 23480882 |
W: www.toroidal.com
Old 7th September 2016, 01:54   #2684
BHPian

Been having some woes with my AV setup in my bedroom.
The LG Tv mother board went kaput in July this year. Then my receiver seemed to have trouble rendering hdmi to the tv and the video kept flickering. Earlier this was less pronounced but the past two days it was intermittent and very frequent.
Decided to sort it out now and investigated voltage, checked power conditioner, changed hdmi cable, directly connected AVR to raw power etc and every time it flickered. There was audio disturbance too during this flicker. Then I switched on my projector. The AVR is a Yamaha RX-A810 with dual hdmi output. The output to the projector was not flickering while the tv continued to flicker. Realized that hdmi out 1 was the culprit and hdmi out 2 was working fine. Pains me that this issue has cropped up within 5 years of usage.
I also have a lot of protection in my setup as below:

PowerSocket -> APC Line-r 1.2KVA voltage stabilizer-> belkin spike -> toroidal step down to 110v (Maxine) -> belkin power conditioner -> Yamaha AVR

Has anyone had any issue with hdmi rendering and any luck with getting this fixed? Could it be the video chip or just the HDMI port?
For now I can survive with the second HDMI out swapped to my tv instead of the projector but will need to get this fixed.
Old 7th September 2016, 07:43   #2685
Senior - BHPian

If you want a cheap fix,i would suggest you invest in an HDMI port extender. Connect it to the good HDMI out and add as many devices you want to it.
Coming to the problem since you have ruled out the problem in your tv, try a smaller length hdmi cable. If that does not work try the following:
With the AVR on and the HDMI in source plugged in, take out the cable and connect it directly to the TV, you should see an image on tv. Now remove from tv and connect it back to the AVR hdmi in. See if this helps.
Update firm wares and could use a different source to the AVR HDMI in to see if it still flickers.
Lastly you can get the HDMI connector on the AVR checked to see if its faulty. Its actually a hit and trial and you dont really know if its software or hardware related.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks