Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 10:58   #2611
Team-BHP Support

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't like subtle sound. Disco is my music tune!
Any good stereo amplifiers? I mostly see only AVRs online.
Which is why I suggested the big bad and bold Pioneer system. It ain't subtle, it ain't even "Hi-fi". But it fits your bill.

GTO you are going to drive yourself nuts and go way over budget (of 50K) if you are looking at a 2.1 system using a stereo amplifier, pair of bookshelves and an active subwoofer.

Stereo amps with pre out:
http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...ated-Amplifier
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...s/amps/a-s501/
http://www.onkyoindia.com/integr_digi_amp-a9030.html
http://www.harmankardon.com/stereo-a...=Black#start=1

All of these amps are above 25K. Add in the bookshelves 20K. Add in active subwoofer 20K. You are looking at a budget of 70K or thereabouts. If you want to go this route no issues but be aware that 70k can very easily become 80K or even 1L.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:15   #2612
BHPian

There is a lot that can be written on this topic. I will keep it short and will suggest the combination that I would go for if I were to rebuild my system.

What does my current system look like?

Airtel wynk on Motorola G2 > Bose Bluetooth audio adapter > optical out > FIIO D3 > NAD C715 > PSB Alpha B1

When listening from my laptop

kodi media centre on laptop with remote control on moto G2 > USB > ASUS XONAR U7 > optical out > Fiio D3 > NAD C715 >PSB Alpha B1

I have a few CDs but have moved to digital music. Because I primarily listen to digital music, I need all this complicated chain. ASUS XONAR U7 and Fiio D3 are DACs. They convert the digital stream to an analog waveform that can be amplified. With digital music the DACs are the weak link as you need a very faithful conversion from digital to analog. Output from phone or laptop is just horrible because of the cheap components used and lack of EMF shielding . So you need a good DAC and it can range from 5K to 5L ..as much as you want to spend.

So today if I were to rebuild, I would go for the following combination.

NAD D3020/ NAD D7050 > PSB Imagine B.

These are digital amplifiers and are meant for digital music. If your primary source is an iphone or laptop and you have a wifi connection, this is all that you need. iphone or bluetooth will directly connect with the amp and it has a USB input for your laptop.

PSB Alpha B1 is very budget category and fails a bit on head bangers so upgrade to Imagine B.

You can add a TV to this mix by connecting the optical out of the TV to the amp. Using the optical out, you can use the TV remote for controlling the volume.

This is it, simple as that. Look no further. This will set you back by around 1L and that is the minimum you should be ready to spend. Your children and grand children can inherit this and still be happy.

Some advice for auditioning -
a. Carry your fav CDs and digital music.
b. Audition the chosen speaker with the chosen amp. Do not do the mistake of finalizing a speaker paired with some amp and vice-versa. If possible, carry your cables as well.

Last edited by kotirajendra : 5th August 2016 at 12:29. Reason: Added advice for auditioning.
Old 5th August 2016, 13:09   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
I don't like subtle sound. Disco is my music tune!
This is getting to be fun.

I think you would love a horn loaded speaker, and the perfect headbanging pair for you would be Klipsch or Cerwin Vega, but may not be within your budget.

http://www.klipsch.com/floorstanding-speakers
http://www.prodigiindia.com/cerwinVega.html
Old 5th August 2016, 16:49   #2614
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I like their sound. Have a JBL soundbar with a big subwoofer and I find it perfect for movies.
First time quoting the biggies!!!

On topic, of late I have been thinking of picking up the JBL250 soundbar with wireless subwoofer for my living room, primarily meant for bluray movies. Question is, are they good enough for an above average listener, but not audiophile level? Also online prices are as high as 22k for this model but I remember reading on this thread that prices go down to as much as 16K at their retail outlets?

TIA, Ramesh
Old 5th August 2016, 19:03   #2615
BHPian

I am getting audition of Klipsch RP-250F, 260F and 280F tomorrow.
280F may be beyond my budget and also I may not require that size considering my room size is only 16x10.
I am inclined to 260F at the moment.

Anyone here using any of these models already?
Old 5th August 2016, 23:53   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
They may still have an outlet here:

2nd Floor, Prestige Eva, Brigade Road
Bangalore,KA 560001
India
Tel: +91 80 41246999
mail@qubixtechnologies.com
Thanks, I will be sure to contact them.
Old 6th August 2016, 04:18   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
280F may be beyond my budget and also I may not require that size considering my room size is only 16x10.
Not directly in response to you, but are they selling Klipschorns in India?

High efficiency speakers requiring very little power, now that's something I would like to try.
Old 6th August 2016, 10:53   #2618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm..the only Klipsch speakers I can recommend are the Heresy, Cornwall, Forte/Forte II, Chorus/Chorus II, La Scala, Belle Klipshch and the Klipschorn. Today Klipsch is part of Audiovox. They also own Jamo and Acoustic Research and Advent (which was founded Henry Kloss of Cambridge sound works fame).
Old 8th August 2016, 13:12   #2619
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
On topic, of late I have been thinking of picking up the JBL250 soundbar with wireless subwoofer for my living room, primarily meant for bluray movies. Question is, are they good enough for an above average listener, but not audiophile level?
In one word = yes.

I have the JBL SB400 (link) hooked up to my TV. The hall is about 600 - 700 sq ft and it well & truly fills the room up. I use it for movies, Tata Sky, YouTube and music. Love the sharpness & thumping bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I would suggest you look at the used (pre-worshipped) market for speakers and the amp since you can get audiophile quality stuff at lower prices.
Thanks man! But for such cheap stuff, I'll go with new. If something were to go wrong with a used unit, the time wasted would negate any savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Which is why I suggested the big bad and bold Pioneer system. It ain't subtle, it ain't even "Hi-fi". But it fits your bill.
Done buddy, will audition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
NAD D3020/ NAD D7050 > PSB Imagine B.

These are digital amplifiers and are meant for digital music. If your primary source is an iphone or laptop and you have a wifi connection, this is all that you need. iphone or bluetooth will directly connect with the amp and it has a USB input for your laptop.

Quote:
Your children and grand children can inherit this and still be happy.
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I think you would love a horn loaded speaker, and the perfect headbanging pair for you would be Klipsch or Cerwin Vega, but may not be within your budget.
Will still check them out. Thanks!
Old 10th August 2016, 20:28   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Hmm..the only Klipsch speakers I can recommend are the Heresy, Cornwall, Forte/Forte II, Chorus/Chorus II, La Scala, Belle Klipshch and the Klipschorn. Today Klipsch is part of Audiovox. They also own Jamo and Acoustic Research and Advent (which was founded Henry Kloss of Cambridge sound works fame).
I wish I had the budget for Klipsch heritage series.

Here is the latest on my search. I went ahead with Klipsch RP-260F. Just the floor standers for now. 280F sounded far better, especially the lows, but I had to reserve my budget for large screen.

Few of the decision making factors were,

1. Sensitivity - at 97 dB, RP-260F is a very efficient speaker. My Yamaha RX-A2050 is able to drive it pretty well. I can see the comparison myself with my old Panasonic floor standing speakers, which are less than 90 dB.

2. Powerful low frequency response - I can be satisfied with just 2 channel until I have the vitamin-M for a sub. This one pick up the lows so well and can deliver deep & punchy bass. Sufficient enough for my taste.

3. Smooth mid-range - Cerametallic woofer do their job pretty well. Vocals sound very natural and pleasing.

4. Horn tweeter - Crisp highs. I was sure this is the one I am going for after listening to Hotel California at the shop.

5. Looks - They look smart, especially the copper woofers are really awesome to look at!

Right now I am using it 100% for music and I am loving it.

This concludes phase-1 of my project. I will share all details once I complete my HT room and setup 5.1.4

Thanks Navin for all the help.
Old 11th August 2016, 11:16   #2621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Sensitivity - at 97 dB,
Glad you are enjoying them.

Just a word of caution here.

Please do NOT use ANY printed measurements by ANY manufacturer as any indication of the performance of a loudspeaker.

Firstly the constraints used to make these measurements differ WIDELY from manufacturer to manufacturer. VERY VERY widely. Some use anechoic chambers, some use their labs, some use actual living rooms, it is mad.

Secondly almost all the printed measurements are incomplete. For example a FR of 30-20khz +/-3db means nothing for a loudspeaker. And to be honest if a loudspeaker could really do this without some fancy mathematical jugglery (will get to that in a moment) it would be a fantastic speaker.

Thirdly YOUR ROOM's acoustics and reverberation field play a bigger part in the sound you are listening to that almost all of the electronics and loudspeakers you have put together.

Now let me explain why printed measurements are not worth the paper they are printed on. A loudspeaker's frequency response is never close to flat. There are peaks and valleys as deep as 20-30db and the real response is really ragged and we are not even talking about on-axis/off-axis, spectral decay, or phase and impulse issues.

More reading here:
http://www.stereophile.com/features/...0bLbrrcIk80.97
http://www.ecoustics.com/articles/un...ency-response/
http://www.canadahifi.com/understand...ency-response/
Old 16th August 2016, 13:43   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

My Panasonic home theatre died a honorable death after serving me for 12 years. This was my first big ticket expense and was my favourite way to beat the daily office stress. The main head unit had power supply failures and the parts are no longer available as the unit is obsolete. With Ganpati around the corner, needed a music system to keep the Bappa company during the festival. Did not want to go the traditional way of getting home a 5.1ch home theatre system. After some research, came up with two options.

1) Sony HT-RT3 Sound Bar type Home Theatre System which is basically 5.1ch setup coupled with Sony DVD Player with HD Upscaling DVP-SR760HP. The total costing is going to be 18K for sound bar + 4K for DVD player. This will give me the options of playing CD, USB but unfortunately no FM.

2) Logitech Surround Sound Speaker System Z906 coupled with Sony DVD player (as above). Total costing will be 17.5K for Logitech + 4K for Sony. Advantage here is Logitech speakers are THX certified.

The budget will be strictly upto 20K max. The above setup are different in output wattage also but I assume should be sufficient for 15 X 14 room. Can experts help me choose. Am I right is the above choices or do I have still some options unexplored?
Old 17th August 2016, 08:48   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Friends I need some advice.

We will be moving into our new home early next year. Being a 2bhk, I do not have the luxury of setting up a dedicated Home theater. My Living room will have to do for the time being.

I already have a Pioneer AVR and Sony Speakers for a 5.1 set up. Problem I have now is setting them up. The front speakers and the center channel are no issue. I just don't know where to install my surround speakers. Dolby site tells me ideally they should be directly on the side of the viewing position slightly above ear height. I guess 2-3 feet is what they are aiming at by that. However, I will be unable to place my surrounds that way and will have to take it higher. Probably around 7 feet from the floor. Is that OK? Or is it too high?
Old 17th August 2016, 09:06   #2624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here is the latest on my search. I went ahead with Klipsch RP-260F. Just the floor standers for now. 280F sounded far better, especially the lows, but I had to reserve my budget for large screen.

Few of the decision making factors were,

1. Sensitivity - at 97 dB, RP-260F is a very efficient speaker. My Yamaha RX-A2050 is able to drive it pretty well. I can see the comparison myself with my old Panasonic floor standing speakers, which are less than 90 dB.
Give it a low power - 10W clean Class A solid state integrated or tube amp and watch it sing. You are not even scratching the surface here.

Using a receiver with a high sensitivity klipsch is sacrilege. I once heard an RF3 II with a musical fidelity A1-x and it was very good and amazingly dynamic.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th August 2016 at 09:07.
Old 17th August 2016, 09:15   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I will be unable to place my surrounds that way and will have to take it higher. Probably around 7 feet from the floor. Is that OK? Or is it too high?
No problem, place them there and listen for few days and see all if the surround effects coming properly. If not then you will have to do some modification so that the face of the surround speakers can be tilted little bit downwards, thats it.

More important is location, little bit of deviation in height is okay as long as you can manage the face directing towards your years. Rather more higher location makes the sound feel more ambientic.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th August 2016 at 09:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks