Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 17:26   #1186
BHPian

Vasoo: Is it a good idea to order receivers thru online internationally. Will they send new items and will there be any custom duty to be paid and how?
Old 1st December 2010, 15:48   #1187
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a decent 5.1 channel system for a friend of mine.
The budget is around 50K. Can you suggest a few places where I can demo the systems in Bombay?

Also would appreciate if you could list some systems. I will try some at Croma, Ezone, Vijay Sales etc.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:01   #1188
naj
BHPian

Velodyne impact 10 sub

Hi!,
Can anyone advice me on a good sub.
The bass should be tight enough for a 300 sqft room.

How is velodyne impact 10?

Cheers,
naj
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:01   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am looking for a decent 5.1 channel system for a friend of mine.
The budget is around 50K. Can you suggest a few places where I can demo the systems in Bombay?

Also would appreciate if you could list some systems. I will try some at Croma, Ezone, Vijay Sales etc.
While reading up, I came across this system from Onkyo HTS5300. Anyone got any experience on that?

Linky here.
Old 4th December 2010, 10:50   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Naj what is your budget? I'd suggest HSU or SVS that Audire has brought down to india now. The prices are more than US prices but not atrociously so considering freight and duties.

As far as HTS5300 is concerned, its best avoided. The speakers are absolutely terrible. If you want an onkyo receiver, get the SR507 or 508 and get a Paradigm Cinema 70CT speaker system. It costs under 30k.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:32   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
As far as HTS5300 is concerned, its best avoided. The speakers are absolutely terrible. If you want an onkyo receiver, get the SR507 or 508 and get a Paradigm Cinema 70CT speaker system. It costs under 30k.
Aha! Thanks roc! Will pass on the message.

My own system is Harman Kardon AVR 245, JBL E90 floor standers and JBL bookshelves, woofer and center. The sound is divine and I am totally happy with it.

Its a 3 year old unit and was trying to connect a media player to the AVR via HDMI, the video was good but no sound. After reading the manual I realised that my AVR does not process audio thru HDMI. I will need a separate component audio cable.

My question here is how much of a difference will this make to the sound output? I am planning to get myself a Iomega Media Player and have quite a few HD movies.
Old 4th December 2010, 16:15   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Aha! Thanks roc! Will pass on the message.

My own system is Harman Kardon AVR 245, JBL E90 floor standers and JBL bookshelves, woofer and center. The sound is divine and I am totally happy with it.

Its a 3 year old unit and was trying to connect a media player to the AVR via HDMI, the video was good but no sound. After reading the manual I realised that my AVR does not process audio thru HDMI. I will need a separate component audio cable.

My question here is how much of a difference will this make to the sound output? I am planning to get myself a Iomega Media Player and have quite a few HD movies.
Which media player do you have? Is it having any optical or coaxial output? And, does your AVR has optical or coaxial input?
Old 4th December 2010, 16:21   #1193
Senior - BHPian

If the source has Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master encoded audio (eg in Blurays or some Bluray rips), then you will only be able to listen to the Dolby Digital/DTS core component and won't get full audio fidelity. This needs HDMI audio decoding.

Other than that, you should be fine!
Old 4th December 2010, 18:24   #1194
BHPian

I am looking for a HTiB with wireless rear speakers.Any idea which are the good ones??
Old 5th December 2010, 18:33   #1195
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Naj what is your budget? I'd suggest HSU or SVS that Audire has brought down to india now. The prices are more than US prices but not atrociously so considering freight and duties.
Thanks Sir .
I will read about the above subs.
frankly I have not decided on a budget but is roughly about 50k .

cheers,
naj
Old 6th December 2010, 01:00   #1196
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
True, I myself am saving up to get a pair of Bose 901, the ultimate in floor standing speakers. These will allow me to push my current pair of 301s to the back of the room, not that there is anything wrong with the 301s just that after 14 years of listening to them I am now ready for a change.
The 901' s are not great speakers in Indian conditions. Besides try an A/B comparison with them and other speakers like Dynaudio, Cadence or B & W. You may find that you will get much better sound at the same price. I own Bose, Dynaudio and Cadence. Try listening using the same set of music tracks with the same recordings.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:56   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
The 901' s are not great speakers in Indian conditions.
Oh! Could you kindly elaborate.
Old 6th December 2010, 06:24   #1198
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Oh! Could you kindly elaborate.
Some of the materials they are made with seem to have issues with the humidity (in Mumbai, at least). This was the case with the 901's a few years back. I don't know whether the materials are changed now. Like I said, there are better speakers now for the same amount of money.
Old 6th December 2010, 13:02   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Which media player do you have? Is it having any optical or coaxial output? And, does your AVR has optical or coaxial input?
I was trying a very cheap imation media player. But I am in the process on buying the Iomega Screenplay Director media player.

Quote:
If the source has Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master encoded audio (eg in Blurays or some Bluray rips), then you will only be able to listen to the Dolby Digital/DTS core component and won't get full audio fidelity. This needs HDMI audio decoding.

Other than that, you should be fine!
Ah ok! So in short not much. Thanks buddy, now I can breathe easy for atleast a couple of years on the AVR front.

Cheers
Old 6th December 2010, 19:53   #1200
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Ah ok! So in short not much. Thanks buddy, now I can breathe easy for atleast a couple of years on the AVR front.

Cheers
Actually your AVR does not decode True HD / DTS HD which are the HD Audio formats. One way of getting around this is to buy a Blu-Ray player which has an on board decoder (pretty common) and this can be passed through the analog outputs of the player into your AVR's analog inputs.

I am not sure you get any media players which have on board decoders, but some Blu-Ray players double as media players and have the decoders as well.

ppr

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks