Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 17:38   #1081
Senior - BHPian

I thought you got your system long long ago!!! :-)))
Old 15th October 2010, 17:49   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I thought you got your system long long ago!!! :-)))
unfortunately, No.
Recently, I tried with Denon and Onkyo systems, but inorder to see the set and hear the performance, either I need to go to Cochin or Bangalore.
And again, is there any problem after installation, everytime some one has to come from these places.
So it looks like I may have to settle with Branded items (HTiB) like Samsung or Sony or LG (since I have a Samy Tv, it may be more ideal to have a samy HT also so that can avoid using 2 Remote's..)
Old 15th October 2010, 20:37   #1083
Team-BHP Support

I picked the All in one remote for 1200/- at Croma. Works very well for TV (LG), DVD Player (Sony) and on top HT (AV RX) (Harmon Kardon).

Very happy with the remote.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:25   #1084
BHPian

Guys need help on buying a home theater --
1) I have a 42inch LCD which i use primarily with my XBOX and also occasionally watch movies with the family. The TV is in my living room or approx 12' X 15' dimensions which is open on one side.
2) Since i bought the TV there is an unexplainable bug biting me to buy a home theater for which i am mentally not prepared to spend more than 1/3rd of that i paid for my TV (which was around 70k)
3) I came across a deal on E-Zone where they are offering the Onkyo 3100 at 17k and are offering some free stuff like 12 movie tickets (what an irony, a home theater that drives you to the movie theater ) and a mobile phone with MRP of around 4k. The other deal i came across was on the Yamaha YHT-292 which is around 22k with again some goodies like a trael bag and a gift coupon.
4) Can you tell me if any of these deals is worth going in for, or do you suggest i wait it out another year or plan to pick up something in my next trip to the US (downsides would be no warranty in India, hauling the large/bulky components and then having to buy a voltage converter for the 110V). Or if you think that the best option is to spray some Hit on this bug and lay it to rest as nothing worthwhile can land in this budget, then this too will be a valuable input .
Old 26th October 2010, 13:32   #1085
BANNED

xbox, what about the speakers?
Old 26th October 2010, 14:06   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
xbox, what about the speakers?
These are packages with speakers.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:21   #1087
BANNED

I have been looking around for a HT system some time now, and am of the view that not having a HT system at all is better than buying a lousy one.

While I have not had any auditions, I cannot find any decently spec'd speaker set this sie of 20K. So add a good A/V receiver and price goes up around 50-60K. Add another 20K if you want to pick and choose speakers instead of taking the "hand me down" sets.

That does not include the CD / media player.
Old 28th October 2010, 17:19   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have been looking around for a HT system some time now, and am of the view that not having a HT system at all is better than buying a lousy one.

While I have not had any auditions, I cannot find any decently spec'd speaker set this sie of 20K. So add a good A/V receiver and price goes up around 50-60K. Add another 20K if you want to pick and choose speakers instead of taking the "hand me down" sets.

That does not include the CD / media player.
+
Correctly said..
I am also confused which one to go for.?
Phillips 5590/Sony BDV-E870 both are Blue ray dvd player cum HTS having
1000w rms (as they claim) and willl come under Rs.40k, but I checked all my neighbour places but no shop has this model available in ready stock to see/audition them

I am also in discussion about Onkyo s5300 and Onkyo TSXR508+SKSHT728
but one of these product , if I go for, also has to come from Chennai!!
Anyway, I have asked my friend in chennai to go to Onkyo showroom and have a look on these both the products and see the audition (the general opinion is that instead of s5300 which is a HTiB, SR508+ 728 will be better as it has two floor standing speakers and score better than s5300?).

As you said, if I go for Onkyo, again I need another Rs.5000 or so for a good DVD player
Old 1st November 2010, 17:53   #1089
naj
BHPian

My search for a component system begins

Hello to all,

So at last my search for a Home theater begins.I am quite novice at it but have gathered some understanding by going through the thread. I would really feel very obliged if you fellow mates would guide me through in my quest for the same.

I will visit Av Excellence (PUNE)this week to begin with . They are authorized profx dealers for Pune. Some time back I visited Oceanic on MG road but did not get a good response from them .

I will be building it up from scratch.
Blue ray player will come later.
As at now the AV receiver will get input from Samsung DVD recorder that I have.
I would like to go in two steps .Its not because of budget constraints but this is what I want for now.

Requirement -A 5.1 home theater

My budget for stage one-80k now for a 2.1 speakers plus AV receiver.Can stretch budget to 100k

What I want now-
1)AV receiver- Denon-Other suggestions welcome .
2)front speakers.Kef or Polk Audio-other suggestions welcome
3)Powered sub-woofer-Kef or Polk audio- other suggestions welcome

Center ,side speakers and Blue ray player will be in step two.

guide me .

cheers,
Naj

Last edited by naj : 1st November 2010 at 18:03.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:23   #1090
BHPian

Yamaha YHT-292

Hi Guys,

Any reviews on Yamaha YHT-292? There is an offer at Reliance Digital.

MRP: 29,990
Offer price: 22,490

Is it worth it? Planning to purchase this weekend.

Thanks,
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:15   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hello to all,

So at last my search for a Home theater begins.I am quite novice at it but have gathered some understanding by going through the thread. I would really feel very obliged if you fellow mates would guide me through in my quest for the same.

I will visit Av Excellence (PUNE)this week to begin with . They are authorized profx dealers for Pune. Some time back I visited Oceanic on MG road but did not get a good response from them .

I will be building it up from scratch.
Blue ray player will come later.
As at now the AV receiver will get input from Samsung DVD recorder that I have.
I would like to go in two steps .Its not because of budget constraints but this is what I want for now.

Requirement -A 5.1 home theater

My budget for stage one-80k now for a 2.1 speakers plus AV receiver.Can stretch budget to 100k

What I want now-
1)AV receiver- Denon-Other suggestions welcome .
2)front speakers.Kef or Polk Audio-other suggestions welcome
3)Powered sub-woofer-Kef or Polk audio- other suggestions welcome

Center ,side speakers and Blue ray player will be in step two.

guide me .

cheers,
Naj
Hi,
I've recently picked up Denon-1611, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers and Wharfedale MX.10 subwoofer (all for 68.6K).
I would suggest to audition Wharfedales before finalising on Polks. I did not like Polks (they sounded a bit harsh to me and my wife).
For your budget, I would suggest Denon-1611 or maybe 1911 if you like a little more power. Speakers could be Diamond 10.1 or 10.2. And ofcourse a subwoofer (either SW-150, or MX.10).
Old 3rd November 2010, 23:16   #1092
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Hi,
I've recently picked up Denon-1611, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers and Wharfedale MX.10 subwoofer (all for 68.6K).
I would suggest to audition Wharfedales before finalising on Polks. I did not like Polks (they sounded a bit harsh to me and my wife).
For your budget, I would suggest Denon-1611 or maybe 1911 if you like a little more power. Speakers could be Diamond 10.1 or 10.2. And ofcourse a subwoofer (either SW-150, or MX.10).
Thanks Anuragn.

I will check the Wharfedale setup.
Regarding Denon-1611 -Does it have a USB port. 1911 has one for ipod/usb playback.
Can you advice me on the prices for Diamond 10.5/10.7,if you know them.

If Wharfedales are not available in Pune can you suggest a dealer in Mumbai.

Cheers ,
Naj
Old 5th November 2010, 15:10   #1093
BHPian

naj,
I am also in the process of getting a HT system, beginning with a 2.1 and had been auditioning quite a few speakers. Finally, I kind of got to a config within my budget.

AVR - Denon 1911 (Alternative Onkyo SR608)
Wharfedale 9.5
Wharfedale SW150

The combination is costing around 80K. The other speakers in consideration was the Polk Audio RTi A3/A5. A3/A5 were very good I must say. The Tsi series was too harsh to my ears and couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes. Kef iQ50 was really really good, but it was around 45K and a subwoofer is a must for this. You can also try Paradigm Monitor 7... A very clear pair of speakers. (A bit too technical for me)

Finally, the money factor came in and I felt the above combination was offering the best VFM. 10.6s were also very good for around 10K more.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:19   #1094
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzader View Post
naj,
I am also in the process of getting a HT system, beginning with a 2.1 and had been auditioning quite a few speakers. Finally, I kind of got to a config within my budget.

AVR - Denon 1911 (Alternative Onkyo SR608)
Wharfedale 9.5
Wharfedale SW150

The combination is costing around 80K. You can also try Paradigm Monitor 7... A very clear pair of speakers. (A bit too technical for me)

Finally, the money factor came in and I felt the above combination was offering the best VFM. 10.6s were also very good for around 10K more.
Hi,

Thanks Khruzader.
Today I had been to AV Excellence . The Owner was very co-operative.

He suggested me against Polks,Kef and wharfedales and adviced me Paradigm Monitor 7.

As quoted by him without discounts-
Denon 1911- 45k,Paradigm monitor 7 towers- 43.5/pair.
Sub- Paradigm DSP 3100- 34.5k.

He told me that Kef, Polk audio and wharfadale were made in China and Paradigm was made in Canada and there was a stark difference in quality .

I got him to play a 1911+monitor 9+Paradigm sub(dont know which model).
Without sub felt like something was amiss with the sub it was ok. Way better that the usual Hifi systems but I am not very satisfied. The clarity is missing.
For 1.23L + cables the above setup does not feel up to the mark.
Got him to play Metallica and some Bhagans by Lata.

Today I will visit Oceanic sound again and see how It goes about.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2010, 04:53   #1095
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
So I am in the process of deciding on a high end audio setup for my new home theater, any ideas?
As of now, I am thinking of going for a 7.1 setup with Denon AVR-4810CI powering the Focal Audio Electra series, although this setup is pushing my budget to the limit!!
I still need to demo the speakers though, and in all probability they will blow the B&W 800 series that are my reference and fall back option. The home theater will be given a full acoustic panel treatment.
Can anyone suggest any other manufacturer that is available for a demo in India and can maybe offer better VFM? I'm thinking maybe 90%-95% performance at a much lower price?
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks