Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 10:46   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
Actually your AVR does not decode True HD / DTS HD which are the HD Audio formats. One way of getting around this is to buy a Blu-Ray player which has an on board decoder (pretty common) and this can be passed through the analog outputs of the player into your AVR's analog inputs.

I am not sure you get any media players which have on board decoders, but some Blu-Ray players double as media players and have the decoders as well.

ppr
And the best blu-ray media player I can think of is PS3.
So instead of spending around 10K on a media player I'd rather get a PS3 and enjoy gaming as well.

Thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 11:12   #1202
BHPian

I recently bought a Western Digital Live TV player, it plays almost all the video and audio formats .mkv even. it has two usb ports with HDMI output port as well supporting 1080p. It costed me 7000/- inclusive tax in bangalore s.p road. I highly recommend it.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:57   #1203
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
And the best blu-ray media player I can think of is PS3.
So instead of spending around 10K on a media player I'd rather get a PS3 and enjoy gaming as well.

Thanks
The PS3 is a great BluRay player. It does have a few problems though. No analog outputs and no onboard decoding of HD audio. Also region locked for DVD's and BluRays. The best and cheapest BluRys are Region A. If you buy a PS3 in India it will be Region C. Also it will not play DVDs from all regions which most BD players will.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:04   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha RX V661 HDMI output

Anyone using a Yamaha RX V661 receiver to output HDMI to a Sony LCD/LED TV ?

I tried connecting my Pioneer DVD player via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver to the Sony EX710 TV.

Am getting only sound and no picture. Is it a compatibility problem ?

cheers!
Srinivas
Old 7th December 2010, 13:31   #1205
BHPian

@hiren.mistry: Yes indeed PS3 substitutes as a great media player but it has one inherent problem and i.e. it can only read FAT formatted storage. So any file bigger then 3.99 GB cannot be played on PS3. You wont be able to play HD rips which are in excess of 4GB.
The best media player for all round playback would be WD TV live. I have been using this for playing all my rips and PS3 for gaming and blu-ray discs. You can even try WD TV which is equally capable but doesn't have network connectivity. But i guess its 1K cheaper then Live.

@ppr: Are you sure about lack of onboard HD audio decoding on PS3?? I think PS3 slim (the one which i use) definitely has this capability. PS3 fat which use to come earlier did not have this feature IIRC.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:31   #1206
BHPian

This weekend was another HT audition week again. Went to cressida AV Zone and We auditioned Yamaha 5.1 Satellite package (Yamaha 280.. very nice for that size), Boston Acoustic and Mordaunt Short. Mordaunt Short was very good and liked it very much.
MS Tower - Aviano 6, Centre-Aviano 5, Rear - Aviano 1 and Sub Aviano 7. Original price is around 1Lac+ and the offer price is about Rs 78K.

We are now down with two choices, Wharefdale and Mordaunt Short. Which one of these two are good, vfm and lasting? We like both and will choose either of those.
Are there any other Mordaunt Short dealers, with whom i can check the price quote. I see the discount to be about 25% is it normal for MS or anything to look into specifically?

I also went to Audio People and auditioned 'Monitor rs6 towers' and Mx6 5.1 speakers. rs6 was heavenly and superb. Mx6 is also good but again in the same price range as MS and Wharf. So am not going in for Monitor.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:29   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anyone using a Yamaha RX V661 receiver to output HDMI to a Sony LCD/LED TV ?

I tried connecting my Pioneer DVD player via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver to the Sony EX710 TV.

Am getting only sound and no picture. Is it a compatibility problem ?
This usually indicates HDMI handshake issue. Try doing this:

1. Open service menu of TV
2. Disable HDMI "Hotplug"

After this, TV would not detect HDMI devices if they are "plugged in" while TV is on. You will have to turn TV off and On for it to detect HDMI devices.

If that does not fixes it, it would be video format. E.g. TV might not be capable of more than certain frames per second at 1080.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:35   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I was trying a very cheap imation media player. But I am in the process on buying the Iomega Screenplay Director media player.
Ah ok! So in short not much. Thanks buddy, now I can breathe easy for atleast a couple of years on the AVR front.
Cheers
Dude, if the player cannot decode DTS/Dolby tru hd or you are not able to play via your receiver, you are missing a lot in case your input source (mkv/avi etc) are having true surround audio tracks.

If your AVR is capable of playing 5.1/7.1 surround, and can take optical/coaxial digital input, it is highly recommended to get a WD Live or Blu-Ray player. Then you will know what you are missing!
Old 7th December 2010, 15:57   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
The PS3 is a great BluRay player. It does have a few problems though. No analog outputs and no onboard decoding of HD audio. Also region locked for DVD's and BluRays. The best and cheapest BluRys are Region A. If you buy a PS3 in India it will be Region C. Also it will not play DVDs from all regions which most BD players will.
Oh too many things to ponder then. Perhaps I'll coax my wife into gifting me the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
@hiren.mistry: Yes indeed PS3 substitutes as a great media player but it has one inherent problem and i.e. it can only read FAT formatted storage. So any file bigger then 3.99 GB cannot be played on PS3. You wont be able to play HD rips which are in excess of 4GB.
The best media player for all round playback would be WD TV live. I have been using this for playing all my rips and PS3 for gaming and blu-ray discs. You can even try WD TV which is equally capable but doesn't have network connectivity. But i guess its 1K cheaper then Live.
Thats a very good option, I will read up more on WD Live. Lets not continue this discussion on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Dude, if the player cannot decode DTS/Dolby tru hd or you are not able to play via your receiver, you are missing a lot in case your input source (mkv/avi etc) are having true surround audio tracks.

If your AVR is capable of playing 5.1/7.1 surround, and can take optical/coaxial digital input, it is highly recommended to get a WD Live or Blu-Ray player. Then you will know what you are missing!
Yes, my AVR is capable of 7.1 surround and it does have optical/coaxial input. Will try these as well. And thanks for the help.

Regards
Old 7th December 2010, 19:33   #1210
BHPian

guys, need your inputs. I checked with other Mordaunt Short dealers in Chennai and Bangalore, their offer is upto 10-12% only, whereas cressida is giving upto 25%. Will this be ok, will they have this much margin, any other specifics that i should look into? I was told i would get brand new piece only. The discount is quite huge that i want to be sure that there is no catch. Guide me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
MS Tower - Aviano 6, Centre-Aviano 5, Rear - Aviano 1 and Sub Aviano 7. Original price is around 1Lac+ and the offer price is about Rs 78K.

We are now down with two choices, Wharefdale and Mordaunt Short. Which one of these two are good, vfm and lasting? We like both and will choose either of those.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:44   #1211
ppr
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
@ppr: Are you sure about lack of onboard HD audio decoding on PS3?? I think PS3 slim (the one which i use) definitely has this capability. PS3 fat which use to come earlier did not have this feature IIRC.
Ashish

What I meant of the onboard decoding is that it does not decode to analog (which is required if you have an old receiver). It does stream lossless HD Audio through a digital output, which is of no use if your receiver cannot decode it. It does not have analog 7.1 outputs which are required.

ppr
Old 9th December 2010, 18:04   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Analog outs of a bluray player are terribly crappy. Even the best rated Oppo BD83 had crappy analog outs. When I compared DTS-HD analog out of the player with DTS over spdif to a receiver, I preferred the latter. The decoding circuitry in a dedicated receiver with a beefy power supply can't be matched by the cheapo circuitry of a bluray player, unless you get a high end one like the newly released Ayre DX5 or something similar.
Old 18th December 2010, 14:53   #1213
BANNED

The first component of my HT system has come. A Sony BD 370 bluray player. Since it was gifted, I was not prepared for other components, nor I am not going into pros or cons.

I should admit, rather sheepishly that nothing else I have will justify owning that. All I have right now is an old 21in CRT TV, which will not accept component input (YUV/RGB). All it has is an a/v video inputs (2 RCA connectors).

So, had to do some jugaad to get the audio - Have fed the other RCA connector to take out a mono out through a normal stereo system.

Cannot figure how to get even normal stereo out from the player. Any help will be appreciated. It has coaxial, and HDMI, outputs. But I have no equipment which will take either format of connections.

Real pathetic setup right now. Not even fit to be mentioned on a public forum!!! :-D
Old 18th December 2010, 15:42   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The first component of my HT system has come. A Sony BD 370 bluray player. Since it was gifted, I was not prepared for other components, nor I am not going into pros or cons.

I should admit, rather sheepishly that nothing else I have will justify owning that. All I have right now is an old 21in CRT TV, which will not accept component input (YUV/RGB). All it has is an a/v video inputs (2 RCA connectors).

So, had to do some jugaad to get the audio - Have fed the other RCA connector to take out a mono out through a normal stereo system.

Cannot figure how to get even normal stereo out from the player. Any help will be appreciated. It has coaxial, and HDMI, outputs. But I have no equipment which will take either format of connections.

Real pathetic setup right now. Not even fit to be mentioned on a public forum!!! :-D
Where exactly is the issue?

If your CRT has got the a/v input (std def Yellow/Red/Green), then the BDP 370 as well has got these outputs- see on the top line at the back of the 370.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:50   #1215
Senior - BHPian

As per specs, it has following connection ports:
Quote:
  • Analog Audio Output(s) : 2 Channel: 1 (Rear)
  • Coaxial Audio Digital Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • Composite Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • Ethernet Connection(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • HDMI™ Connection Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • Optical Audio Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • USB Port(s) : 2 (1 Rear/ 1 Front)
Using highlighted ports you can connect your CRT.

1. Composite Video cable (Yellow Color Port) will connect it to CRT to Video
2. Red and White colored Stereo ports will send audio to TV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks