Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 15:01   #1351
Senior - BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Have been gathering some knowledge for a little while and can say that am not zero at it, but surely can benefit from some experts here. Now the reason why i came to this thread is that i plan to gather stuff gradually to build up a great system. I have people travelling outside india so can ask a few folks to carry something
1. What is the best receiver that one should aim for- Denon, Marantz or Yamaha?
2. I guess there are players that take input from hard disk too now?
3. I know only about Sony and Philips as good Blue Rays- any idea on models?
4. Speakers- this is something that has a lot of choices, am confused here
Total Budget is about 1 lac. I think that getting a receiver and maybe speakers can be bought from outside india, singapore/dubai. Will they be cheaper and if so, whats a good buy?
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!
Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer and probably pretty close in terms of performance and the only differentials is in features.

Here's a cnet review on some of the best AV receivers available. You will find these models ace almost a lot of similar AV reviews.

Best AV receivers - CNET Reviews

Buying it abroad is definitely cheaper. US is probably the best bet, however its usually 110V there so you will have to buy a step-down transformer here. So that's the downside. Singapore might be a good option. In India most good AV receivers sell at 50 - 100% premium.

Getting speakers from abroad is a dicey because of the size and weight. You do get good speakers in India though.

Have you thought about an Out of the box HT? From Onkyo or Yamaha. They sometimes can be good VFM.

Careful about the BD players. You don't want to get caught out with region specific encoding. I'm not sure if Blue-ray discs in India are region free. I've never tried them. I usually get all my BD's from the US and most of them are region free. However my friend got me a BD from Australia and that was region encoded. Couldn't use it!!

1 Lakh is a good budget. My personal preference would be Yamaha or Denon. Please review the features list. Some just have too many features and you might not need all of them. If so, get a lesser model.
Old 28th September 2011, 15:38   #1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Have been gathering some knowledge for a little while and can say that am not zero at it, but surely can benefit from some experts here. Now the reason why i came to this thread is that i plan to gather stuff gradually to build up a great system. I have people travelling outside india so can ask a few folks to carry something

**Most of what you need is available in India since last few years, buying here would make you more comfortable with after sales service assurance, even if thats dealer provided than from the company.

Quote:
1. What is the best receiver that one should aim for- Denon, Marantz or Yamaha?
**Before we address this, would like to know if its movies or music that is your main preference. Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha are suggested more wrt movies where as Marantz is the choice of any Hifi Enthusiast who would want the receiver to play music & play movies too. **Marantz is more musical and can also play movies reasonably well, others are more bass heavy & none the less if you are planning to introduce a subwoofer then there should be no worry of bass to you. Marantz shall be best foot forward if you dont want to currently spend on a separate music rig.

Quote:
2. I guess there are players that take input from hard disk too now?

**There are quite a few, but then you can also go the HTPC way, where you can play movies/music via comp/HDD. Yet should you need the CDP that can play music via comp as well, that could be a slightly costly proposition. Look up for something like 6003, for it shall give you option to play cds + play music from your usb source. This one is the cheapest around and you can also check for a similar cdp in the brand - Cambridge Audio, which is also used in reasonable start up setups & offers decent vfm.

[/quote]3. I know only about Sony and Philips as good Blue Rays- any idea on models? [/quote]
**Pioneer has a BD Player which was approx 4.5k till early this year and now is aroud 5.5-6.0k approx. If you can spare more, you can look for Oppo now or probably later, if you feel the need. Wont have any info to share wrt Sony/Phillips.

Quote:
4. Speakers- this is something that has a lot of choices, am confused here.

Total Budget is about 1 lac. I think that getting a receiver and maybe speakers can be bought from outside india, singapore/dubai. Will they be cheaper and if so, whats a good buy?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

**Need not get anything from anywhere outside, they are fairly reasonably priced in India esp around the budget that we are discussing within. You need to look up for the Wharfedale Diamond Series speakers, anything in 9.1, 9.2 series or beyond shall work brilliantly. Dealer might show you wharfedale 10series, but stay with Diamond 9's they come well recommended for the price to pay.

Just to assist, i shall sum up for you :

CD Player
Marantz 6003 or anyone from Cambridge Audio which can accept USB & or Digital input.

AVR/Receiver
Any model from MARANTZ that fits your pocket & pairs well with speakers - if you want movies & good musicality. Choose Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha if you think you shall watch more movies than listening to music. Any AVR around 70-100w per channel shall be more than enuf to drive any reasonable loudspeaker. We shall not discuss too technically here as i am picking only one brand in speakers here, which are quite easy to pair with most amps/receivers(avr)

Speakers
Speakers from Wharfedale are the way forward, i wont suggest any other brand for now to keep it sane and knowing the capabilities of this brand very well.

Cables
DAC, Beldon, Chord - you can pick speaker cables & interconnects needed to connect the cdp to the receiver(avr) in the money left in the end.

1L should be able to squeeze in all of it.

Happy shopping!
trehansid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 12:05   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Going by earlier posts, do not think getting the receiver from outside India is a good idea.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:34   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
do not think getting the receiver from outside India is a good idea.
Do not agree with that. If you are buying from US, you can get a decent receiver for less than 12k. I got Yamaha 665BL for $285.

And since that amount is less than 25k, it does not attract any duty.

If buying from India, one needs to pay at least 25k for similar receiver.
Old 30th September 2011, 16:00   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Do not agree with that. If you are buying from US, you can get a decent receiver for less than 12k. I got Yamaha 665BL for $285.

And since that amount is less than 25k, it does not attract any duty.

If buying from India, one needs to pay at least 25k for similar receiver.

Makes sense if the differences are phenomenal & if service hazards can be lived with, not that all these products are built to get cranky but just that any can happen. Local support does come handy.

Besides, for the htpc & mid segment brands nothing much matters, but if your ears are made for the music and can decipher the delicate notes, then even an addition of a voltage convertor may make your music sound not so likeable.

Having interacted with / read words from myriads of music lovers in the circle, i can say that with conviction. The differences the music lovers/audiophiles hear may just probably be a placebo effect is a situation that one cant rule out in certain situations though.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:17   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trehansid View Post
Makes sense if the differences are phenomenal & if service hazards can be lived with, not that all these products are built to get cranky but just that any can happen. Local support does come handy.
Local support is available for most mainstream brands.

I purchased Yamaha transformer ($30) and Yamaha service center in Mumbai replaced that in my AVR (for a cost).

Quote:
even an addition of a voltage convertor may make your music sound not so likeable.
Not so sure about that. reason is, electricity already changes voltage at least 7 - 8 times. E.g. from 66 Kilo-Volt grid to 12KV station to 440 V Substation to 220 V delivery transformer.

Adding one more transformer will change signals enough to be detected by Human ears? And that change would be more than environmental factors (Like car horns at a distance of 500m OR people talking in a house next door)..

Though I dont have hard data, I don believe that would be the case.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:45   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Local support is available for most mainstream brands.

I purchased Yamaha transformer ($30) and Yamaha service center in Mumbai replaced that in my AVR (for a cost).

Not so sure about that. reason is, electricity already changes voltage at least 7 - 8 times. E.g. from 66 Kilo-Volt grid to 12KV station to 440 V Substation to 220 V delivery transformer.

Adding one more transformer will change signals enough to be detected by Human ears? And that change would be more than environmental factors (Like car horns at a distance of 500m OR people talking in a house next door)..

Though I dont have hard data, I don believe that would be the case.
Valid and sensible move there NFB, but thats just one example of a Yamaha AVR and may be so for more brands alike. And for someone listening to music out of an avr, there is no need to be really critical & touch the extremes than to just enjoy music.

I have had couple of gear to speak up at the hifi level and the mid-fi level as its termed, as well. There is nothing to worry if we are listening to the music and everything to worry about if you come with a background of experience and cant compromise on something that you well know the sound of, even if we are talking about feeble degree of margin in its presentation. I have seen a Cr. plus worth of system fall flat on the face and present a sound thats been devastating but then, thats that. There are all sorts of listeners, but when we usually hear AV enthusiasts speak, they usually start and end with - I agree, I disagree - which are usually unwarranted and misfit to the subjected discussion of music, for biologically its never the same way two individuals would be hearing the sound.

About voltage, again changes can be very subjective - some may hear it and others wont, hence i did present both sides of the possible argument - some hear it & some just go thru a placebo.

But if we are talking about music via AVR, we dont even have to touch the topic on how may voltage effect and well close agreeing to the point that it actually wont.
Old 1st October 2011, 00:10   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Dear Members,
I bought a samsung Home Theatre a year back.Till now it is working well. The quality of the sound too seems good. It has the pen drive facility which I use to see movies and also Photo slide show when guests come. It works better than the album of ester years.
Old 5th October 2011, 20:42   #1359
BHPian

Hi guys,

Has anybody experienced music with Bang & olufsen? If so how is the sound quality? Are they better than Bose?

I found they have a show room in chennai at Khader Nawaz Khan Road.

Any idea regarding the pricing?

If it is way beyond the pricing of bose, We dont have a budget and not worth going for an audition.

Thanks in advance

Barath
Old 5th October 2011, 20:56   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi guys,

Has anybody experienced music with Bang & olufsen? If so how is the sound quality? Are they better than Bose?

I found they have a show room in chennai at Khader Nawaz Khan Road.
Any idea regarding the pricing?
If it is way beyond the pricing of bose, We dont have a budget and not worth going for an audition.

Thanks in advance
Barath
B&O is a lifestyle Class-D amplification based product. Definitely a few folds more costly than Bose and at the same time, are you serious about Music?

If you are then you may look beyond BOSE. You can get immaculate sound & great value for the money if you are looking for a music specific system for around 1.5L about.

If Music is your poison, humbly suggest you to hear the wood/mdf speakers to get the tone, timbre and naturality. There are a lot of friends to assist you here.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:17   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
B&O is a lifestyle Class-D amplification based product. Definitely a few folds more costly than Bose and at the same time, are you serious about Music?

If you are then you may look beyond BOSE. You can get immaculate sound & great value for the money if you are looking for a music specific system for around 1.5L about.

If Music is your poison, humbly suggest you to hear the wood/mdf speakers to get the tone, timbre and naturality. There are a lot of friends to assist you here.
Hi Thanks.

This music system is not for me but for my Brother In Law (refer few pages back. Some of my posts will mention the requirements clearly)
Budget is in the order of 1.50 L only. The current system of choice for BIL is Bose Lifestyle XX which is retailing at Rs 1.75L chennai.
But I am not able to understand about your explanation for "Music".
Do you mean to say that if I am listening to classicals, and soft music then BO would be good. If i try listening to live recordings / some heavy metal, then BO will not be good?
Barath
Old 6th October 2011, 14:30   #1362

Bose definitely extends convenience factor and WAF as we call it (Wife Acceeptance Factor) .

I was actually not talking about BOSE/B&O but the technology they use, which by all means is very efficient yet comes with compromises to someone with discerning ears & with an exposure of the other technological offerings from various other brands wrt music specific systems, Class D amplifiers (as used in BOSE, B&O) are good in their bracket of audience/buyers but wrt music the class D amps come up with a loss of detail and fidelity in comparison to some other amplifier & speaker combinations in the offing - BUT , that shall not be a great concern if you are listening to Bose/B&O for the first time without any comprisons with other systems offered at the same price range or picking them out of the convenience factor.

To riterate, Bose offers are decent home packs and do offer decent value for money proposition as well, all i would have wanted with something like 1.5L as a budget is that other options/Brands should be looked at.
Old 6th October 2011, 16:07   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Bose definitely extends convenience factor and WAF as we call it (Wife Acceeptance Factor) .

I was actually not talking about BOSE/B&O but the technology they use, which by all means is very efficient yet comes with compromises to someone with discerning ears & with an exposure of the other technological offerings from various other brands wrt music specific systems, Class D amplifiers (as used in BOSE, B&O) are good in their bracket of audience/buyers but wrt music the class D amps come up with a loss of detail and fidelity in comparison to some other amplifier & speaker combinations in the offing - BUT , that shall not be a great concern if you are listening to Bose/B&O for the first time without any comprisons with other systems offered at the same price range or picking them out of the convenience factor.

To riterate, Bose offers are decent home packs and do offer decent value for money proposition as well, all i would have wanted with something like 1.5L as a budget is that other options/Brands should be looked at.
Hi Thanks Again,

We have tried the following.

1. Bose Lifestyle: Good clarity of music, is sharp without distortion. But bass is little low.
2. Yamaha RX V 1067 with yammy speakers (Actually tried with two different set of speakers one is a 5.1 costs rs 40000 for apeakers alone and the other is a 7.1 model costing rs 75000 for speakers alone): Gave theatre like experience. Had good lows but some punchiness and sharpness is missing. You can always feel something is incomplete with yammy.
3. tried onkyo: rejected it outright.

Can you suggest someting or a combination of something (eg yammy amps and bose speakers. Already tried this combi. But Bose said they wont give away the jewel cube speakers separately) in the budget specified.

Barath
Old 6th October 2011, 16:16   #1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi Thanks Again,
We have tried the following.

1. Bose Lifestyle: Good clarity of music, is sharp without distortion. But bass is little low.
2. Yamaha RX V 1067 with yammy speakers (Actually tried with two different set of speakers one is a 5.1 costs rs 40000 for apeakers alone and the other is a 7.1 model costing rs 75000 for speakers alone): Gave theatre like experience. Had good lows but some punchiness and sharpness is missing. You can always feel something is incomplete with yammy.
3. tried onkyo: rejected it outright.

Can you suggest someting or a combination of something (eg yammy amps and bose speakers. Already tried this combi. But Bose said they wont give away the jewel cube speakers separately) in the budget specified.

Barath

Most welcome,
May i ask you for the room size that the system would be placed in? That shall assist me assess & advise better.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:42   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Most welcome,
May i ask you for the room size that the system would be placed in? That shall assist me assess & advise better.
Hi the room size is 18' x 11'. Its going to be placed in hall. Source would be DTH HD connection and BR players.

If sequired additional set of speakers (second output) will be placed in a 15 x 11 room.

Barath

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks