Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 13:29   #2656
Team-BHP Support

re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Wow!! those are truly high end drivers. Did you design the speakers with the current positioning in mind?

Is the other system in your previous post also yours?? Those look like SEAS Excel drivers..
hmm...well actually no. In both systems my wife and the "interior experts" she hired made a mess and I then had to fine tune the systems to make the best of a bad situation. The other choices were to either buy another apartment (too expensive given Mumbai's real estate prices) and live separately or ask my wife to leave (even more expensive and I cant boil an egg leave alone cook so I need her around). LOL.

In the bedroom I actually had to dummy one woofer and pad the pass port. I had way too much bass. Fortunately the crossover network I designed was able to accommodate these changes.

In the living room system I had to redesign the center channel. Don't even ask. Yes those are Excel drivers (slightly customized by SEAS for me) and Fountek's Neo 3.0 ribbons.

I am not very active in audio now. My most active years were around 77-95. Most of my audio friends are dead or not in good health.

Last edited by navin : 30th August 2016 at 13:31.
Old 30th August 2016, 13:54   #2657
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Could you share the full and exact speaker model numbers please.
Right now, only the Polk 440T.

Quote:
Ok, since budget has gone bye bye, I am going to suggest taking a look at this, only IF you can source it from the US. It's not crazy expensive, only issue is getting it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would look at models from Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon
ProFX was suggesting the 'Denon AVR-X520BT'. Is that a good match for my 440s?

Quote:
You know how anal I am GTO. For example, if you look at the speakers closely you will notice that there are no holes for the grill to get latched on. I embedded small 6mm dia NdFeB magnets under the veneer which then auto center with metal plates on the grill's frame.
You are crazy, man...absolutely crazy (in a good way).
Old 30th August 2016, 18:07   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It looks like this is Denon's entry level unit, and makes about 70Wx5, but doesn't say if the rating is driving 2 channels or all 5 at once, so may end up being under powered if you really like cranking the volume. An under powered amp will almost guarantee a blown tweeter with the volume turned up.

I would ask them to setup it up in their showroom with a demo pair of T440's and reasonably power hungry center and surrounds they have. Hear them at a normal volume and also at the max level that you are comfortable with, and judge if you are happy with the sound quality at both levels. You really don't want to be stuck with an amp that works best with your speakers at ear shattering levels and does nothing for you at a moderate volume.

Next, I would then ask them to connect something with a higher power rating and do the same experiment until you come to a point where you are happy with the quality and quantity of the sound. It really comes down to a method of elimination if you think about it.

The other variable that comes into play is the brand. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony would probably be considered on par, and the Marantz and NAD would be higher up the chain which going by reputation should be better + more expensive.

Lastly I would ask them for a demo at home with the amps + speakers that you have shortlisted.

Always listen to music or DVD tracks that you are familiar with and use the same tracks when you are doing your comparisons.

Cheers, and good luck.
Old 30th August 2016, 19:41   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Right now, only the Polk 440T.

The rated power for the X520BT is only 70W and for two channels only.
I wouldnt recommend this or anything in this range at all.

Amplifiers should be FAT. - No Substitute for Displacement - Likewise - No Substitute for Power.

And the X520BT is like very small.
Also - it doesnt have Pre Outs - to take the speaker signal out and feed it to an Amplifier.

My suggestion for you would be to buy an AVR either 5.1 or 7.2 with whatever features you need. This should have a FULL SET of Pre Amp Outs.
Usually When you do this, chances are you can at least power your main speakers through them.

Would recommend a minimum of 150 - 200 Watts / Channel - at least for 2 channels. - This is not available in the regular brands which market AVRs.

AND then buy ONE good Stereo Amplifier - This will work out cheap and also give you power.

So the front and center channels are driven by the AVR and the rear channels are driven by the stereo amplifier.
Old 30th August 2016, 21:48   #2660
BHPian

After reading so much here. I am also buying Polk speaker. I am planning to order it from ebay seller cart2india, he is selling it for 32k.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Polk-Audio-TS...IAAOSw6n5XvTVe

In ebay it is mentioned "All electronic/electrical items sold by us are originally meant for use in the USA (110 volt AC input). For usage in India, a step down converter should be used in order to bring down the voltage from 220/240V to 110V. We will not be liable for any electrical damages, failures, loss of performance of such products and/or their accessories. Laptops, Mobile phones, Tablet PC (iPad, Kindle etc) come with a universal 110v-220v charger that can be used worldwide."

GTO, Navin - The one you guys bought also had 110v USA adaptor ?

Is there any warranty given by seller on the speakers which you bought ?

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 30th August 2016 at 21:51.
Old 31st August 2016, 01:42   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks a ton for the advice. I discovered stuff I wouldn't even have considered otherwise. Went this evening to ProFX for an audition. Absolutely loved Polk speakers. This isn't a brand that I would've looked at if it weren't for the recommendations here.

I liked the 330s & 440s both, but since the price difference was barely a couple of grand, what the heck - I picked up the Polk 440. Simply fantastic sound. As suggested by all of you, I played my own music on AUX & Bluetooth.

List price was 42,500. I got them for 36k and some change. In true Team-BHP spirit, the budget I originally had for the entire system is out the window

How come speakers in the store are so much cheaper than online? I see the same pair on Amazon for 42k.

Can't wait to hook up these bad boys up to a good amplifier.

But yes, I still need a subwoofer. Though the bass from the speakers is good, I'm a 'thump thump' guy.
My 2 paisa to complete your 5.1:
  • Receiver/Processor: Denon AVR-X2200W
  • Power Amp: - Postpone for now.
Get the basic rig up and running. Get a feel of the sound signature and then decide whether you really need the power.
  • Center: Polk TSX250C
  • Rear Surrounds: Polk OWM5 (On a budget) OR Polk TSX110B
(No point putting in too much money on rear speakers. They are mainly for the wooshes and hooshes)
  • Sub: Polk DSW PRO 550
(If not in a rush, delay this one too. Get a feel of the kind of Bass your 440 are producing, then decide on the Sub to compliment them. You would want to have nice tight deep bass and not a constant boom in the room over powering everything else)

You should be able to get all these from Pro Fx with a neat 15% min discount on the list price.

Other brands to consider
Receiver: Marantz
Speakers: Dali Z1/Z3, KEF Q300, Q Acoustics 3020/Concept 20 and
SUB SVS

Also to consider the acoustics in the room. They do help with cleaning up the sound waves. ProFx should be able to advice you on that. Do avail of their Home Demo facility to audition.

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 31st August 2016 at 01:47.
Old 31st August 2016, 12:43   #2662
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It looks like this is Denon's entry level unit, and makes about 70Wx5, but doesn't say if the rating is driving 2 channels or all 5 at once, so may end up being under powered if you really like cranking the volume. An under powered amp will almost guarantee a blown tweeter with the volume turned up.

Lastly I would ask them for a demo at home with the amps + speakers that you have shortlisted.
Thanks!

Quote:
The rated power for the X520BT is only 70W and for two channels only. I wouldnt recommend this or anything in this range at all.
Thanks!

Quote:
So the front and center channels are driven by the AVR and the rear channels are driven by the stereo amplifier.
Don't want to over complicate the setup. My Civic had multiple amps and all, and I didn't enjoy the resultant work / tuning / things going wrong.

Would like to have just one AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
After reading so much here. I am also buying Polk speaker. I am planning to order it from ebay seller cart2india, he is selling it for 32k.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Polk-Audio-TS...IAAOSw6n5XvTVe
That's more expensive than ProFX. Note that the price quoted on that page is for ONE speaker .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Receiver/Processor: Denon AVR-X2200W
Quote:
Center: Polk TSX250C
Quote:
Rear Surrounds: Polk OWM5 (On a budget) OR Polk TSX110B
Quote:
Polk DSW PRO 550
Thanks! Will check these out.
Old 31st August 2016, 12:47   #2663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Think of your audio system as your amp is the engine, the speakers are the chassis. You can't use a 800 engine to efficiently drive a Honda City can you?

I would recommend something like the Denon 1520 if you are looking at 2.1 without all the Video processing, HDMI, Dolby digital stuff or Denon 2200/2300 in you want all the Dolby digital, HDMI, video processing stuff. Think 100W rms ( less than 1% THD, 20-20k at least 2 channels driven).

Quote:
AND then buy ONE good Stereo Amplifier - This will work out cheap and also give you power..
This is exactly what I have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
My 2 paisa to complete your 5.1:
  • Receiver/Processor: Denon AVR-X2200W
  • Power Amp: - Postpone for now.
Get the basic rig up and running. Get a feel of the sound signature and then decide whether you really need the power.
  • Center: Polk TSX250C
  • Rear Surrounds: Polk OWM5 (On a budget) OR Polk TSX110B
(No point putting in too much money on rear speakers. They are mainly for the wooshes and hooshes)
  • Sub: Polk DSW PRO 550
(If not in a rush, delay this one too. Get a feel of the kind of Bass your 440 are producing, then decide on the Sub to compliment them. You would want to have nice tight deep bass and not a constant boom in the room over powering everything else)

You should be able to get all these from Pro Fx with a neat 15% min discount on the list price.
Perfect.

GTO you are stuck with getting a Polk 250C for the center.
Surrounds you can still chose something cheaper or different.

Receiver options: Denon, Marantz, NAD, Yamaha, Onkyo - I wont name models because everyone has a AVR in this price (competing with the Denon 2200/2300).
Subwoofer options: I would look at REL, SVS, Velodyne, etc. I think Klipsch, Polk, and a few others also make subwoofers but they are not in the same league as Rhythmic, REL, SVS, Velodyne etc.
http://avenuesound.in/home-theater-a...dio-lv12r.html
http://www.amazon.in/REL-Rel-T-Zero-.../dp/B00OA9GQWI
http://htstore.in/index.php?route=pr...product_id=332
http://htstore.in/index.php?route=pr...product_id=340
Recently (about 3 months ago) bought the REL T7i which has an MRP of 97k for a friend. Can find out the current pricing.

Last edited by navin : 31st August 2016 at 15:27.
Old 31st August 2016, 16:39   #2664
BHPian

The route mashmash has suggested makes the most sense.

The one thing I would add is, keep a small budget for a nice servo stabilizer if you want to keep all your equipment safe and sound.
Old 1st September 2016, 11:29   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Went this evening to ProFX for an audition

List price was 42,500. I got them for 36k and some change.
Hi, Need your help. Please let me know from which showroom you bought speakers. I want to cut bargaining by giving your reference and buy it at 36k.

Also compromising on Amp and for now buying Yamaha HTR 3067. My initial budget was 25k for 5.1, but when I googled, google took me to team-bhp. And many thanks for pointing out ebay deal, 32k was only for single speaker.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 1st September 2016 at 11:31.
Old 1st September 2016, 14:01   #2666
BHPian

My 2 cents. Please always buy an AVR with pre-out so power amplifier can be added at a later stage. Also spend most of the money on centre speaker and sub-woofer as they convey most (~80%) of the sound information. For sub woofer, a non ported design would be nice for small rooms.

As with cars, home theatre can be addictive. So urge to upgrade can happen. Please audition multiple brands for sound signature before finalizing. An entry level Dynaudio (even used) could also be a good option.
Old 1st September 2016, 14:43   #2667
BHPian

Anyone here tried the front presence speaker setup. Is this better than adding rear surround?

I have the 5.1 set up done and have ordered for two additional mountable book shelf speakers that I can use in three different ways

1. Add as rear surround to make it a 7.1
2. Add as front presence to make use of ProLogic front height effect
3. Add as front ATMOS speakers

I would hold the #3 as the media availability for ATMOS is still sparse.

Between the #1 and #2, I am confused when when to go with.

My receiver is Yamaha RX-A2050 and projecting with Sony VPL-HW40ES.
Old 1st September 2016, 15:52   #2668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I have the 5.1 set up done and have ordered for two additional mountable book shelf speakers that I can use in three different ways

1. Add as rear surround to make it a 7.1
2. Add as front presence to make use of ProLogic front height effect
Between the #1 and #2, I am confused when when to go with..
A lot of this depends on the room shape and size and where the listeners are.

For example if you have a long room with the front speakers along one of the short walls (this is what I have) having 2 extra rear speakers helps distribute the sound better. If on the other hand your speakers are along the long wall then maybe adding height makes more sense. (I have never used this so am just using an educated guess).

Also it depends a bit on the type of rear speakers you are using. Monopole, Bipole or Dipole. Bigger rooms work better with monopole surrounds (my room is 12' x 30' and I use monopoles). Bipole speakers make smaller rooms feel larger acoustically. And Dipole diffuses the sound even more (as the drivers are out of phase) and unless you have a specific need for Dipoles my advice is stay away. In this day when you have 5-7 discrete channels of sound there is not a huge need for dipoles.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st September 2016, 16:39   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Need your help. Please let me know from which showroom you bought speakers. I want to cut bargaining by giving your reference and buy it at 36k.

Also compromising on Amp and for now buying Yamaha HTR 3067. My initial budget was 25k for 5.1, but when I googled, google took me to team-bhp. And many thanks for pointing out ebay deal, 32k was only for single speaker.
Had a talk with friend who is having knowledge about HiFi systems. He explained me a lot and clearly mentioned if the inputs are not good, I will not get the sound out of any speakers. Also he mentioned that there are compatibility when it comes to selection of Amp and CD player. Few AMP/CD Player works well with few combination of Speakers. So before selecting any Amp/CD Player, I need to lookout for what is the best matching for PolkAudio 440T. So if anyone suggest budget 2.1 channel amp and budget CD player, which will match the 440T speakers, will be helpful.
Old 1st September 2016, 17:13   #2670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So if anyone suggest budget 2.1 channel amp and budget CD player, which will match the 440T speakers, will be helpful.
The smallest amp that I know of that has pre-outs and can drive the 440 is the Denon 720. (remember I said "that I know of").

PS. I am not part of this industry and models change every 2 years or so. There is no way I can keep track of current all models and prices.

Also the 720 has full range pre out so your subwoofer will have to be active and have a crossover and plate amplifier. Don't worry, most do. The 440 will receive full range sound but you can turn the bass control (on the 720 or which ever 2 channel amp you buy) back a notch since you will have a subwoofer augmenting the bass.

Last edited by manson : 1st September 2016 at 18:37. Reason: Fixed quote.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks