Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 22:46   #2446
BHPian

re: The Home Theater thread

Hi,

Any place to get audition of the following bookshelf speakers in Hyderabad? I tried calling couple of dealers, but there is no audition available.

1. Wharfedale (100, 200, 10.x series) - Vector system doesn't have one for audition but they can buy if we order
2. MA BX2 - The Audio People have only BX1, no BX2
3. Dali Zenor 1,2,3 - I couldn't find any dealer

Regards
Devakumar
Old 16th August 2015, 12:34   #2447
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Need your suggestions to solve my dilemma in building a music system. I want to build a system strictly for music. I may use it for movies/games sometime in the future however it shouldn't influence my choices.

The dilemma is in choosing a good receiver. As it is for music, I wanted to stick with a 2 channel (or 2.1) receiver/integrated amplifier to keep things simple. However, within my limited budget, I do not find (m)any good options which provides me with the necessary options and connectivity. For me USB input (which can read WAV files), optical/coaxial inputs and Bluetooth connectivity is important. Most stereo receivers here in the US do not provide these features (<$500).

That compels me to consider multi channel AV receivers and use it as 2 channel for my music needs. AV receivers have very good deals going on in many stores which gives all these features well below $500.

As I am new to building a system, I want to know if there would be a big difference between stereo receivers and AV receivers in stereo mode (assuming similar price range) when it comes to sound quality. Is it wise to sacrifice the difference in sound quality for the added feature set?

A quick reading of user manuals of some of the AV receivers made me wonder if at all an AV receiver could be set up without a TV. I do not use a TV as of now, but many of the manuals I glanced over presents the set up through on screen displays on the TV. Does AV receivers provide adequate displays on the front panel to configure it in stereo mode?

Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 17:23   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
That compels me to consider multi channel AV receivers and use it as 2 channel for my music needs. AV receivers have very good deals going on in many stores which gives all these features well below $500.

As I am new to building a system, I want to know if there would be a big difference between stereo receivers and AV receivers in stereo mode (assuming similar price range) when it comes to sound quality. Is it wise to sacrifice the difference in sound quality for the added feature set?
I am a stereophile myself and was in the same situation myself a few years back. And trust me, a stereo receiver will knock the socks off any AV receiver in terms of stereo sound. So I bought a stereo receiver and used it for many years - a Cambridge Audio that gave me many years of happy listening. But sadly started creating some trouble and was forced to look at other options.

But it is tempting to consider the price of an AV receiver and that is what I have done finally. I am using a Pioneer AVR now. And no, stereo capabilities aren't anywhere near what it was on the Cambridge Audio. But connectivity options are just too good and I have everything routed through the AVR.

My suggestion is to go and have a good listen - to AVRs. In stereo. Buy the one you like the best.
Old 17th August 2015, 18:14   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

Need your suggestions to solve my dilemma in building a music system. I want to build a system strictly for music. I may use it for movies/games sometime in the future however it shouldn't influence my choices.

============

A quick reading of user manuals of some of the AV receivers made me wonder if at all an AV receiver could be set up without a TV. I do not use a TV as of now, but many of the manuals I glanced over presents the set up through on screen displays on the TV. Does AV receivers provide adequate displays on the front panel to configure it in stereo mode?

Thanks
You may want to consider a stereo receiver along with a media server/player like the Western Digital WD TV, which you can connect via A/V or Optical out to the stereo receiver. You should be able to setup the AV receiver without a TV or connect a laptop via HDMI..

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st November 2015 at 10:51. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 18th August 2015, 13:13   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And trust me, a stereo receiver will knock the socks off any AV receiver in terms of stereo sound. I am using a Pioneer AVR now. And no, stereo capabilities aren't anywhere near what it was on the Cambridge Audio.
I use a Pioneer AVR too. If there is one complaint that I have, it the lack of dynamics and power when compared to a dedicated stereo amplifier. Off course, an AV Receiver offers much more than any stereo integrated amplifier ever will in terms of features and what you can do with it. It is your entertainment system hub. If budget isn't a constraint, it is worth looking at a AV receiver that provides a stereo pre out. Even better if all the channels have a pre out. If you are not satisfied with the stereo performance, hook up a quality power amplifier to the AVR. This does solve the major problem of AVR performance in a stereo set up. I would take this route if one does not have the luxury of space for two dedicated set up's.

Quote:
Does AV receivers provide adequate displays on the front panel to configure it in stereo mode?
It is almost impossible to set up a receiver without a display. At least a temporary display to get you started is required.

The good thing about where you are is, there are a ton of options for audio equipment try outs. Take for example, Emotiva. You are offered a 30 day return if you unhappy with your purchase. Another that comes to mind is Axiom.

Take a look at the Marantz M-CR611. Does pretty much everything an AVR does except powering four or more pairs of speakers.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th August 2015 at 13:28.
Old 20th August 2015, 13:53   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

===============

Thanks
AV recievers can be used. There is an option of toggling to 2 channel output with the surround modes and keep the center and surround speakers off. This will channel most of the power to the L/R channels. I am using this myself with my Harman Kardon. Speakers are custom made.

And among the AVRs I auditioned, H/K sounded the best to me followed by Yamaha. Again, this is a matter of personal taste.

Most AVRs now provide USB play on their basic models. Mid range ones provide Bluetooth and network capabilities. And you should be able to configure the AVR using the built in display. TV is not absolutely necessary. Will take some extra effort though when compared to using a TV to configure as the built in display is mostly 2 line.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st November 2015 at 10:52. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 20th August 2015, 17:57   #2452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Will take some extra effort though when compared to using a TV to configure as the built in display is mostly 2 line.
These days AVRs also come with apps (android/ios) which makes it easy to operate and play songs without TV
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:58   #2453
BHPian

Sonodyne or KEF for HT

Greetings!!!!

I have been planning to build an HT in my house. It would be used for 80% movies and 20% music. The room size is 400sqft 20x20. I have an 64 inch Samsung Plasma. I need to pickup an AVR and 5.1 or 7.1 Speakers for the same.

I have been looking at speakers like bose, wharfdale, B&W, Kef and Sonodyne. I liked the KEF and Sonodyne due the clarity and punch it had. I have an limited budget of 2L for the speakers and AVR. I am looking for an speakers and amplifier which can last for minimum 7-10 years without any issues.

I request all the audio gurus to guide me the right speakers and AVR keeping in my with the budget i have. I have very limited knowledge on these kindly guide me

Ronny

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2015 at 11:11. Reason: Please SEARCH the forum before creating new threads for topics already being discussed. Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:39   #2454
BHPian

Re: Sonodyne or KEF for HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyquest View Post
It would be used for 80% movies and 20% music. The room size is 400sqft 20x20.

I have been looking at speakers like bose, wharfdale, B&W, Kef and Sonodyne. I liked the KEF and Sonodyne due the clarity and punch it had. I have an limited budget of 2L for the speakers and AVR.
Ronny

2 lakhs budget for a beginner, sweet.

ROOM: Rectangular room are the best for surround systems, but you have mentioned a square one. if you can put the satellites on a stand at say about 16 feet should be good for the side ones and rear ones (if 7.1)

USAGE: You have clearly said more towards movie than music. so powerful bookshelves should be enough(also looks good aesthetically). a good 10" sub woofer(klipsch, KEF, Boston) a must.

SPEAKERS: All the brands you have mentioned are good ones and its sane to pick what you like except for Bose that has a weak sub woofer and un natural sound(as per me). I have Boston at home and they are pretty good.

RECEIVER: Marantz, Denon, ONKYO are good consumer brands and fits budget with all the latest gizmos built in.

SOURCE and PLAYER: I assume you will get original CDs and BLU ray discs for the source that has all the formats encoded for sweet reproduction. If you can get a good blu ray player(marantz, Pioneer) will be good.

Having a receiver and the player in the same brand reduces one remote.

Lastly a 7.1 receiver with 5.1 speaker should be a good option since 7.1 is not available in every other disc

Hope i made some sense
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:21   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sonodyne or KEF for HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post

RECEIVER: Marantz, Denon, ONKYO are good consumer brands and fits budget with all the latest gizmos built in.
Could you put some light on why Yamaha loses behind in HT department? I have been across so many forums and most of the people going in for low & high end HT donot even consider Yamaha? What's the problem with them?
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:38   #2456
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

Is there any budget 5.1 ch Home theatre system with wireless speakers and able to play all formats of DVD, MP3 along with USB input. Should be able to be connected to Plasma HD TV through HDMI.
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:17   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could you put some light on why Yamaha loses behind in HT department? I have been across so many forums and most of the people going in for low & high end HT donot even consider Yamaha? What's the problem with them?
No offence on Yamaha brand. I have a old Yamaha amplifier myself made in Nippon. They have become more a mass brand or consumer brand than audiophile brand. the budget was good enough to go prosumer, so suggested. In fact a Yamaha dealer suggested that they are losing their audiophile touch. The one I own is rock solid and won't think about parting with even if it becomes dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

Is there any budget 5.1 ch Home theatre system with wireless speakers and able to play all formats of DVD, MP3 along with USB input. Should be able to be connected to Plasma HD TV through HDMI.
Wireless HTIB are available in Samsung, LG, JBL and few other brands. Strictly speaking I stay away from them for the complications involved in converting and re converting audio signal and interference from cell phone signals. The formats playback can be put to rest using a good media player. You can look at sound bars but won't give exact 5.1 effect like a HTIB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd September 2015 at 10:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:37   #2458
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, need some help:
Got an offer for a pair of Paradigm Surround speakers ADP 170 + Focal Chorus 700 Sub woofer (all used but in good condition), together for 50k INR, is it a good deal ?
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:10   #2459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post

I think much of this is hype. Two of my friends went in for Onkyos over the past 20 years. Both didn't last more than a few years. First one was a small onkyo shelf system and it conked out in 4/5 years. Second was a massive receiver purchased from the U.S. and my friend got rid of it because the effect was not that great. He had setup a separate theater room 25x12 and ultimately never did like the output.

I myself have a Yamaha RXA-810 purchased from the U.S. and feel it is one of my better investments. Can't live without it.
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:13   #2460
BHPian

I've a Sony MHC RV22 mini Home Theater System, which is lying unused since 5 years. Its speakers however, are in working condition.

The said system was unable to read any CD, except Sony CDs and after some days, it stopped reading any CD. I took it to the Sony authorized service center. They diagnosed it and suggested to replace the "CD Reader Lens", costing Rs 3,000/-. I did not change it back then, and packed it. However, I disconnected its speakers and attached to a Sony DVD Player.

Now I want to get the system back into working condition. What do I need to do? Also, if required, where to buy Original Sony Spares in Pune from? Pointers will be of great help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks