Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2023, 22:30   #3766
BANNED

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Has anyone managed to get hold of the Samsung HWQ 990C soundbar? It's the upgraded version of the 990B.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current 2 tower speakers to a more versatile multi-channel system for movies and general TV watching,
Don't think a sound bar is an upgrade over stereo speakers, especially when you can spend a six digit figure on it. I presume you don't have an amplifier. An entry level 5.1 AVR aka receiver will cost around ₹ 25-35 k. Spend the remaining on a sub woofer and 4 speakers of your choice. Yamaha HTiB or home theater in a box are CV priced below 50k.

If you don't care for surround sound, a high end stereo amplifier and speakers from brands like Blaupunkt, JBL or Pioneer or other brands frequently mentioned in this thread can be considered.

Why?

Because not all brands disclose the frequency response range of their speakers, and these brands do.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 14:33   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
An entry level 5.1 AVR aka receiver will cost around ₹ 25-35 k. Spend the remaining on a sub woofer and 4 speakers of your choice. Yamaha HTiB or home theater in a box are CV priced below 50k.
Thank you for the suggestion. In fact, my preference was aligned with your suggestion until a few months back. I was actively looking for better AVR + speaker deals. However, during my research, I delved deeper into the subject and became engrossed in topics like multi-channel setups, ATMOS, various Dolby versions, dual zone configurations, and discussions about clean power solutions. .

It seemed I will never get the satisfaction by spending mere few thousands and stopped looking into it, but it was alway there in mind to have one comparatively better setup at home.

Now, this SB is top of the line and currently the best option a person can buy for a minimal setup, supporting ATMOS as well as casual music listening. What I have come to understand about AVR and speakers is that there is no limit to the upgrades one can make, such as investing in a clean power source or exploring different brands' speakers.

If I buy a 5.1 AVR now, I know that after some time, I will start searching for a 7.1 or Atmos AVR. Perhaps, I'll also begin looking for that elusive center speaker or the perfect up-firing speaker.

The SB I am looking at might lack the upcoming significant revolution in home entertainment - spatial or 360 sound, which Sony is already offering.
However, this SB is providing me with peace of mind without compromising much on the regular usage for movies and music.

Could you please assist me in understanding if I am overlooking anything? Over the past year, I switched from considering an AVR with a speaker setup to using a SB. I've noticed some changes, and I'm now curious to know if it's still worthwhile to invest in an entry level AVR setup or if I should stick with the top of the line SB.

TIA.
Old 31st July 2023, 14:56   #3768
Senior - BHPian

Some bit of research and a couple of demo's later, I will be getting this home in a day or two.

Speakers:
Yamaha NSF71 floor standing
Yamaha NSP41 center and surround
Yamaha SSW050 sub - which I felt was underpowered and will be going with JBL A100P sub instead.
BIC America atmos speakers

AVR:
Onkyo TX-SR494 (7.2CH AVR)
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 15:35   #3769
BANNED

Quote:
Could you please assist me in understanding if I am overlooking anything? Over the past year, I switched from considering an AVR with a speaker setup to using a SB. I've noticed some changes, and I'm now curious to know if it's still worthwhile to invest in an entry level AVR setup or if I should stick with the top of the line SB.
To start with, please look at where you'll find 11 + 4 media. List for yourself 5 hours of 11+4 media you'll access.

Stereo is 2 channel. Most music is 2 channel. Left and right, that is.

Stereo speakers have no use if you keep them close to each other. You seriously think 11 channels will be differentiated from a 1 or 2 meter wide device?

For proper effect, you need a pretty huge room with speakers sufficiently apart. This is discussed in this thread itself.

If you have access to media that uses 11 channel sound and a player that processes it, plus space constraints for a 4/5.1 set up, please ignore me and go ahead.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 17:38   #3770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If you have access to media that uses 11 channel sound and a player that processes it, plus space constraints for a 4/5.1 set up, please ignore me and go ahead.
Thanks, I get what you are saying.
I am relying mostly on online content providers like Amazon prime and Netflix on supported streaming devices.

Search is still on and I really liked AVR mentioned AVR mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Onkyo TX-SR494 (7.2CH AVR)
@Aditya, did you order these from a store in Bangalore?
Old 31st July 2023, 18:38   #3771
BHPian

I think there is a connection between being a Petrol head and being an audiophile. The audiophile in me is taking a back seat for quite some time.

My 2 cents as a guy from old school. In my child hood days, I used to be fascinated by the LPs of gramophones, metal cassette tapes and the hand built amplifiers with valves etc. In late 70s,when India did not have Doordarshan ,we had a 29 inch Telefunken TV in which we watched Russian TV channels picked up through complex self made aerials connected to huge custom made Bolton speakers etc. I really miss those teen age days. Now the kids take for granted the technology of having surround sound with 500 TV channels with Netflix etc.

I was fortunate not to throw my stuff near thrash cans or donating them to people who donot really care about audio during my relocation to India from USA. My company paid for the relocation and hence brought all my stuff in a container . The stuff runs on 110 V and hence brought a heavy duty massive transformer to connect to 220 V.

Below pictures are some of my audio stuff of old
School. I am not sure if this is kind of out dated in the present world as I get comments from some guests to my home saying why 100 kg speakers at home. Is this a discotheque?
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-img_1283.jpeg  

The Home Theater thread-img_1284.jpeg  

The Home Theater thread-img_1285.jpeg  

The Home Theater thread-img_1282.jpeg  

The Home Theater thread-img_1280.jpeg  

Mystic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 05:49   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
If I buy a 5.1 AVR now, I know that after some time, I will start searching for a 7.1 or Atmos AVR. Perhaps, I'll also begin looking for that elusive center speaker or the perfect up-firing speaker.

The SB I am looking at might lack the upcoming significant revolution in home entertainment - spatial or 360 sound, which Sony is already offering.
However, this SB is providing me with peace of mind without compromising much on the regular usage for movies and music.
Buying separates gives you the option to add more speakers later. Whether you buy more later is entirely up to you. Only you can “force” yourself.

You seems to have set your mind firmly on this sound bar. I had a look at the specifications: it has more marketing mambo jumbo than actual technical specs. It counts the number of drivers as number of channels. Does it actually process and deliver 11 channels of sound? Maybe, maybe not. 11.1.4 is not even a standard format. It supports Dolby but not DTS. Speaker driver sizes are not written (looks very small on the sound bar), neither is frequency responses.

Sub wooofer whether active or passive is vague. Amplifier specs in not available: it mentions 41 watt power consumption. This is not going translate to much across 11 channels.

It says “sound calibrated for your space to perfection” but does not offer sound calibration system like Audyssey or AccuEq. Samsung q-symphony or Sony 360 (or whatever it is called) are, most probably, just marketing jargon for snake oil. You should only trust industry leaders like Dolby or DTS, who has been researching just surround sound over many decades.

As advised by other members I would recommend you look at separates for that kind of budget.

If it helps this is how I usually go about it. I first look at amplifier specs: power at what THD, at full range, at what ohm, all channels driven or just two, SN ratio, etc. Then speaker driver size, driver type, frequency range, SPL, power. Read reviews and demo exact model of choice.

Last edited by Guite : 1st August 2023 at 06:01.
Old 1st August 2023, 09:46   #3773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Considering that this will be installed in the living room (layout image below) what would you suggest?
I can understand your situation. In saying that, I do want to ask, does a saving of 24,500 matter considering you may hold onto these loudspeakers (If not the AVR) for atleast 8 to 10 years? If the answer to that is "No", then please put your money on the JBL or Jamo.

To be frank, I don't know Taga at all. This brand has surfaced in the last 10 years or so. They could be good. Its hard to say until you go and listen to them. Beside a brands like JBL (or Jamo), I'd say its a no contest. JBL's been in the business of making excellent loudspeakers for a long, long time.

Stand mount speakers are fine but you do need to buy stands for them so that is a cost. You will likely get better bass from a floor stand but thats a case where you won't use a sub woofer and still manage to get decent bass. A bookshelf or stand mount may not cut it here (for bass) and will need help from a sub woofer. Thats that main difference. If you want a less imposing (visually) speaker, get a stand mount.

I'd stick to the 550BT. You're bordering on the absolute low end of Denon
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 10:50   #3774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Aditya, did you order these from a store in Bangalore?
Getting this from an acquitance who worked on a HT setup for a friend of mine. He is able to get the equipment for quite a good deal. If you want his contact, I can share it with you. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I can understand your situation.
Thank you for the reply, Sandeep. This is what I decided on - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5595544 (The Home Theater thread)

Will be getting it installed today.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:03   #3775
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need a suggestion - I have a living room which is 22' x 15' and the TV unit to sofa / couch distance is 10~12 feet. I am currently renovating the drawing room with TV unit for the 55 inch that we have. So while doing this I am looking for a sound system as currently using the TV speakers which are pathetic and give loud noise with background score and feeble voice for the dialogs.

Our usual scenario is 40% kids you tube, 40% OTT and 30% is music (POP, rock & roll, instrumental).

I am looking for a sound system that will be good for such scenario - SO far I have auditioned Samsun and JBL sound bars and found them to be not that great in terms of clarity and then mostly see that they are just amplifying the sound.

What method should I use to search for a sound system, like technical qualification and which direction do I head to - sound bars / dedicated 7.1 system / 2.1 stereo system. Also which other brands apart from the common ones like sony, JBL, Smasung, Blaupunkt do i look for.

I have found bose to be good sounding but feel like paying unnecessary. So I am looking for alternatives like diamonds in the dust. If any member can narrow me down for the search options it will be great. The budget is Bose level but if thins are really great can go for setup in instalments.
manishalive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 08:37   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
If any member can narrow me down for the search options it will be great.
Consider the Sony HT-A9. This isn't a sound bar or home theater. Its a 4 speaker setup with some magic up its sleeve. I heard this at the store and didn't think too much of it. I heard them again at a friends house and was amazed by what it could do. It fills the listening area with top notch sound quality. Dialog reproduction is surprisingly good. If you don't want to deal with separates or a krapp sound bar, this is it. The one short coming is that it does not come with a sub woofer in the box. Thats not to say its unlistenable. At times, bass can feel a bit low. You can add the sub woofer later, if you really need one but it has to be from Sony. You can't add a third party brand sub woofer. Not to forget, except for a power chord and one HDMI cable, they all talk wireless.

The only other solution I can think of is a pair for stand mount speakers on stands and a AV Receiver or Stereo Receiver with HDMI input. While you are technically buying a Home Theater receiver, you are driving only two speakers with it. The results are going to be way better than any sound bar you will find.

Both options aren't gonna come cheap. You're looking at 100K to 150K INR, minimum.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 4th August 2023 at 08:39.
Old 4th August 2023, 13:35   #3777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need a suggestion - I have a living room which is 22' x 15' and the TV unit to sofa / couch distance is 10~12 feet. I am currently renovating the drawing room with TV unit for the 55 inch that we have. So while doing this I am looking for a sound system as currently using the TV speakers which are pathetic and give loud noise with background score and feeble voice for the dialogs.

Our usual scenario is 40% kids you tube, 40% OTT and 30% is music (POP, rock & roll, instrumental).

I am looking for a sound system that will be good for such scenario - SO far I have auditioned Samsun and JBL sound bars and found them to be not that great in terms of clarity and then mostly see that they are just amplifying the sound.

If you have not explored Yamaha YAS-209 soundbar then you could give it a thought. I have listened to it at my friend's place (used with 55" Samsung UHD) and amazed by the sound quality for music as well as movies.
Aviator_guy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 15:52   #3778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Consider the Sony HT-A9.
Both options aren't gonna come cheap. You're looking at 100K to 150K INR, minimum.
Yes I saw the price of the Sony at it is 190K with woofer and that is pro level, I would need a lot more convincing to look at that. But I will keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
If you have not explored Yamaha YAS-209 soundbar then you could give it a thought. I have listened to it at my friend's place (used with 55" Samsung UHD) and amazed by the sound quality for music as well as movies.
Yes this is great but but is again a sound bar. I am looking for the next level so that once for all I am done.
Old 5th August 2023, 10:07   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I saw the price of the Sony at it is 190K with woofer and that is pro level, I would need a lot more convincing to look at that. But I will keep in mind.

Yes this is great but but is again a sound bar. I am looking for the next level so that once for all I am done.

I am glad you are not looking at a soundbar. No soundbar can match up to even a basic stereo set up.

I recently auditioned this pair of speakers and was very very impressed. Crisp across all frequencies - https://avstore.in/products/definiti...hnology-bp9040

Tower speakers with in built active 8 inch subwoofer. You would still need an amp to power the other drivers.

Since it is the living room, I would couple that with something like this -a tiny
two channel amp with multiple connectivity options including hdmi earc - https://avstore.in/products/svs-prim...-pro-soundbase.

This has set up has more than enough capabilities to take care of most audio needs and leagues ahead of a soundbar.

Alternatively you can look at other tower speakers or bookshelf stereo speakers and add a sub as this tiny amp actually has a nifty sub out.

If going down the Active route I would suggest to check out the following.

https://hifimart.com/product/magnat-...o-loudspeaker/

https://hifimart.com/product/q-acous...-music-system/

https://hifimart.com/product/debut-c...ered-speakers/ (has hdmi input - a big plus)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_946PWP...ite-Gloss.html (has hdmi input - a big plus, has airplay 2 - another big plus)

https://www.headphonezone.in/products/klipsch-the-fives

happy listening!
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 06:12   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I saw the price of the Sony at it is 190K with woofer and that is pro level
To be clear, this isn't pro level gear in any sense of it. You're paying a price for convenience. The starting price of pro gear will start around the same price as this Sony. Is unfortunate as it used to be cheaper not so long ago. Besides; with any pro gear means you'll be running a bunch of wires all over the house. What I can say is this Sony is leaps and bounds ahead of any cinema sound bar I've heard. The pricey Sonos included. As the speakers are placed in 4 corners, you don't get the sense of sound coming from just under your TV. Its a more spatial effect with the Sony. Walk into a Sony Store and listen to it. I had a not so great experience in the shop. Maybe its setup a little better where you are. You won't come back disappointed for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks