Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 18:13   #3751
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Don't know about your city, but here in Kochi, there still are people around shops selling electronic components where they fix burnt coils of speakers. Prices certainly are high. If you like sound of the existing sub, this is the preferred way.
Well, problem is not with the driver coil. It is some component on the pcb and the way they are telling me various stories, it doesn't appear to me that they are very confident about the troubleshooting part. Once they told that it is repaired and they have put for testing but then again it went dead after some time. Another day they told they are waiting for a replacement IC. The whole pcb is anyway not available, as it is a out of production model. So don't know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That sounds okay. I'd fix it versus spending Rs. 50,000 on some budget grade sub woofer thats unlikely to sound anywhere near as good as your KEF. Sub woofer tech has not changed a whole lot from your old KEF. If you are happy with the performance, I'd stay with it. Ensure you get some kind of repair warranty. Ask them if they are changing the entire amplifier or fixing it at a individual component level. Might as well renew the caps (or capacitors) while they are at it.
Has the prices gone up so much? Can't I get anything decent within even 50K !!
As I mentioned above, they are now telling that they will be replacing one IC. But if you guys feel that 6-7k is reasonable for repairing, then I will just talk to them once and ask about the warranty on repair part.

Other than Olx (full of frauds) do we have any option to sell off old audio gear?
Old 19th July 2023, 09:10   #3752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
Well, problem is not with the driver coil.
Has the prices gone up so much?
The driver coil is the last thing to fail on any powered loudspeaker. Its usually some component on the internal amplifier.

50K is the starting price for getting into sub woofer territory. You're not going to find anything thats as good as your old KEF at this price point. You'll have to spend north of this.

The cost to fix you sub is nothing compared to what you'll spend on a new one thats at the same tier as your KEF, which is why I encourage fixing it.

List your gear on Team Bhp classified.

Even if Pro Fx can't attend to it, find a good electronics repair person. Someone who knows what they are doing. If you're not successful here, then consider replacing your KEF.
Old 20th July 2023, 21:07   #3753
BHPian

Quote:

Even if Pro Fx can't attend to it, find a good electronics repair person. Someone who knows what they are doing. If you're not successful here, then consider replacing your KEF.
That's exactly what I have done today finally. After waiting patiently for 3 weeks, brought the baby back home. Got hold of another electronics repair guy through a colleague. She will be attended by him soon.
And it was not with Pro FX, but with their authorized service partner as per their website. Looks like they have outsourced the servicing job to a 3rd party
9tMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 21:20   #3754
BHPian

Hi, i really don't know if this is the right thread for this thing but I really needed to ask. I have an old Binatone sound system that my grandfather bought around 20 years ago, with two big(Ahuja size) speakers and two small ones.

One problem is that, the main controller which these things plugged into got fried and the local electric repair guys said they couldn't fix it because the parts weren't available or something.

Now, I want to find a new controller which can power these 4 speakers and we can plug our devices in through an aux cable or wtv it is. Asking for help and advice regarding how we can go about this.

Attaching pics below-

There are two of each of these speakers attached below.

The Home Theater thread-pxl_20230727_154352431.jpg

The Home Theater thread-pxl_20230727_154402161.jpg

Thanks in advance
Old 27th July 2023, 21:20   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to help.

Cinebels for Jamo. I don't know for JBL.

You can't go wrong with the JBL or Jamo. Both models are good.
First off, thank you Sandeep sir for your inputs.

Unfortunately, the prices quoted for the JBL speakers with the Denon x550BT / x250BT is over my planned budget. Please see below for quoted prices.

The Home Theater thread-hts1.jpeg

The Home Theater thread-hts2.jpeg

Apparently, according to the gentleman I am conversing with for this HT system, the pricing is similar to the Jamo speaker configuration.

I have asked Cinebels to share the prices for their Jamo Home Cinema Systems (HCS). Link to two models on their website - https://www.cinebels.com/jamo/speakers-hcs

Alternatively, I was suggested to go with Taga Harmony S607 5.0 (link) which are within my budget (pricing below). The Taga Harmony S607 will be coupled with the Denon x250BT amp and the JBL A100P subwoofer (150W RMS)

The Home Theater thread-hts3.jpeg

Alternative to the Taga 607 5.0 is the TAV-507 5.0, only difference being latter (507) has 5.25" drivers for the mid range and bass driver on the floor standing front speakers. The 607 has 6" drivers and costs 7k more. Is there a noticeable difference in this? If not, the difference of 7k does matter.

Considering that this will be installed in the living room (layout image below) what would you suggest?

The Home Theater thread-living-room.png

- Do I really need floor standing front speakers or should I go with bookshelves in the front and save some money? I presume the difference in sound will be quite a bit considering the no. of drivers and the size.

- The person was saying the Taga's are good for movies, only slightly lesser in terms of performance compared to JBL. I have a JBL 2.0 soundbar (30W) which is very good for its size. I would prefer to sample the sound from the Taga's but unable to find them anywhere (only sold online). This is pretty much within my budget. Would you recommend the Taga's? Hadn't heard of this brand until I started this search.

Apologies for the long post and so many questions. I'm quite lost and any help on this is highly appreciated
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 23:05   #3756
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
Now, I want to find a new controller which can power these 4 speakers and we can plug our devices in through an aux cable or wtv it is. Asking for help and advice regarding how we can go about this.
Likely that you are looking for stereo amplifier. Probably with some kind of filters for frequencies? You'll find info on low pass and high pass filters in the ICE section.

Local shops ought to have locally assembled stereo amplifiers, and a good electronics guy or car ICE place ought to be able to build the filters. Check the old controller for markings about specifications like power, impedance (usually in ohms) and get something that closely matches these figures.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 00:37   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Likely that you are looking for stereo amplifier. Probably with some kind of filters for frequencies? You'll find info on low pass and high pass filters in the ICE section.

Local shops ought to have locally assembled stereo amplifiers, and a good electronics guy or car ICE place ought to be able to build the filters. Check the old controller for markings about specifications like power, impedance (usually in ohms) and get something that closely matches these figures.
Thanks, will do that. Was thinking about buying some Ahuja amp but my brother, having worked with these things as an event manager advised against them. One more thing to note is, these are analog speakers, so will have to buy an amp which supports the same. I will ask the local car audio guy, but am concerned he will charge exorbitantly for the same.
Old 28th July 2023, 10:40   #3758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more thing to note is, these are analog speakers, so will have to buy an amp which supports the same. I will ask the local car audio guy, but am concerned he will charge exorbitantly for the same.
Analog speakers? Would you post images of the rear panel of these speakers, where it is printed with speaker specs and other info?

Don't go to car guys, the AV assemblers are a different breed.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 11:18   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Analog speakers? Would you post images of the rear panel of these speakers, where it is printed with speaker specs and other info?

Don't go to car guys, the AV assemblers are a different breed.
The rear panel unfortunately does not contain any specs regarding the speakers IIRC. However, there are two wires coming out of them - one RED and one SILVER. I have seen speakers with those huge XLR connectors and assumed those were digital and these with only two wires as analog.
Old 28th July 2023, 17:37   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rear panel unfortunately does not contain any specs regarding the speakers IIRC.
It looks like what your grandfather bought two decades back was a very premium model even today. Try to get a model number or relevant info. Then you can start looking for a 4 channel stereo amp.

Binatone, as you know was an NRI-owned British company. Founded by Gulu Lalvani who was a pioneer businessman in the field of consumer electronics.

I tried hard to identify them, no luck. Found a somewhat similar model, and strangely it also carries no tech spec.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 08:39   #3761
BHPian

Friends I need a Suggestion

I have the following Sony 5.1 system since 2007. It has an output of 1100 RMS. The DVD and Cassette player are not working so I am using it with Aux input from Tatasky. In today's age I dont need the DVD and Cassette functions

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/s...specifications

So technically the main unit is being used as an amplifier. Downside is, the main unit does not have wireless Connectivity.

I want to use the Speakers and Woofer with some other Receiver which will have wireless Connectivity. Please suggest an Amplifier/Reciever. Here are the Speakers specifications

The Home Theater thread-screenshot_20230729_082707_chrome.jpg

I want to connect my Smart TV as well to the proposed Amplifier.

My house is under construction and nearing completion. I have got the wiring for Front and Rear Speakers done as well in the living room. The room size is 17"X11"

I need an Amplifier which can carry the loads of the Speakers and Woofer and provide wireless + USB Connectivity.

Please Advise
Old 29th July 2023, 08:39   #3762
BANNED

The 2, 3 and 4 way thing is about splitting audio frequencies after amplification so that each driver / speaker gets the frequency it can best reproduce. Since Binatone sold a package, this splitting - technically, filtering was matched inside the "controller". Yes, 20 years back, it was a premium product.

Stereo amplifiers are as cheap as ₹ 2,000. These will work out of the box. But for these to sound good, (rather, if these don't sound good), tweaking the circuitry is needed. If you are willing to waste ₹ 2 k, get a 4 way stereo amplifier online and see for yourself. But always better to find the specifications of the speakers and match the amplifier. The audio guys' knowledge will cost more than the amplifier itself. But it is likely worth.

If you open the back cover of the boxes, you'll find markings on the speakers inside ("drivers".). They'd read something like. 2 or 4 ohms. (the Greek symbol). And if lucky, the frequency might also be marked. See this listing for an example. Scroll the images, one of them has a pic of the obverse with the labels.

Cave FZ-6904 Fussion 6'/9' Oval Car Speakers https://amzn.eu/d/7nSeVV6
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 10:09   #3763
BHPian

Quote:
If you open the back cover of the boxes, you'll find markings on the speakers inside ("drivers".). They'd read something like. 2 or 4 ohms. (the Greek symbol). And if lucky, the frequency might also be marked. See this listing for an example. Scroll the images, one of them has a pic of the obverse with the labels.
Thank you for your detailed reply . I can probably go back there and check the inside of the speakers, I also have the rest of the audio controller, only the front (Buttons, cassette player) was removed and thrown away. I don't remember, but I still think there's a metal plate at the back of this thing which contains the specs of the controller. Will check and get back to you.
Old 30th July 2023, 19:45   #3764
BHPian

Has anyone managed to get hold of the Samsung HWQ 990C soundbar? It's the upgraded version of the 990B.

I've checked locally here in Bangalore, but there's no stock available anywhere except on the Samsung online store.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current 2 tower speakers to a more versatile multi-channel system for movies and general TV watching, and the Samsung HWQ 990C appears to be a reasonable that won't cause much clutter also great sound.
Old 30th July 2023, 21:36   #3765
BHPian

After more than 15 years I have finally upgraded from my old pre wifi, pre usb, pre Bluetooth AV receiver to a more modern one with all the latest apps. I had wanted to continue with Onkyo but they have left India. So my choice was down to Denon and Marantz. I don't like Yamaha, Sony or Pioneer receivers.

Two year old Marantz model is selling for practically same price as latest Denon model. Moreover when I demoed both brand receivers I found that the Marantz was surprisingly bright. So I finally settled for Denon.

I set it up using the supplied Audyssey calibration system. After two weeks I am still tweaking the audio parameters: getting to understand the settings better and setting it to my personal satisfaction.

On the price front I found out that online stores like AV shack, Vplak etc have huge markup. Physical stores which list on Indiamart offer very competitive prices. You can contact the sellers and negotiate. I did that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks