Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 14:20   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup have one at home, which dad uses and its a definite boon to have cell connectivity.
Your dad has a 3G Kindle? How does that work? Do you need a 3G connection from BSNL?
Old 25th October 2010, 14:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Your dad has a 3G Kindle? How does that work? Do you need a 3G connection from BSNL?
I don't think Kindle needs a SIM card to be put in. It comes preloaded with one doesn't it? Amazon coverage map doesn't show 3G anywhere in India except Delhi. Everywhere except Delhi they show EDGE coverage.

Does anyone know with which Indian telecoms carry Amazon's Whispernet? If we can identify the carrier then we can know the actual 3G/EDGE coverage in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is available in iPad and iPhone also.
Yep. But the paperlike strain free reading experience of the KIndle is what sets it apart from other backlit screens.
Hope they come out with a colour version soon, thats a slight limiting factor as of now.

Last edited by Sankar : 25th October 2010 at 14:33.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:19   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2) I don't have a Wifi AP in Bangalore, so I tried ad-doc Wifi networking. Then I found that Kindle doesn't support enterprise or ad-hoc networking. Now I am forced to consider buying a Wifi AP just for Syncing.
Today I was thinking about buying a Wifi AP. Then my thoughts deviated and I was wondering about the stupidity of the whole thing. I have an unused built-in Wifi adapter on the iMac, and yet I can't share the Internet through it for the Kindle. All thanks to lack of support for adhoc networking by Kindle.

Then an idea struck me. The hardware on the iMac is good enough to create a wifi AP, it is the software that is unwilling. What if I can find a free software that can turn the unused wifi adapter into a wifi AP?

The first hit on google found me Connectify software. Downloaded, installed, configured, done. Wifi AP ready, Kindle synced perfectly.

Mission Accomplished!
Old 26th October 2010, 11:40   #64
Team-BHP Support

Do you have only DSL/Ethernet based Internet at home?
Many mother boards support WiFi AP.

Only issue is that if some one has to access WiFi, you will need to turn on the MAC all the time. Its good to have an integrated modem and a router.

I have such a system and my Kindle latches neatly as it should.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:58   #65
Team-BHP Support

My setup is little more complicated.

I have non-Wifi ADSL modem which gives me couple static IP addresses. It is connected to a Juniper SSG5 firewall (non-Wifi) which is in permanent VPN with my office. The iMac is connected to the SSG5. I keep the iMac on whole day, so that is not an issue.
Old 26th October 2010, 16:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Do you need a 3G connection from BSNL?
Downgrades and works over EDGE. I don't have one, but I have seen it work for my colleagues.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:21   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Downgrades and works over EDGE. I don't have one, but I have seen it work for my colleagues.
Regular Airtel/BSNL works. Amazon has worked out with all the carriers.
But somehow I did not feel it was worth the extra money.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:27   #68
Team-BHP Support

Is there any kindle or kindle like device that is without network requirement.
Something that should be able to connect to a laptop via usb/ bluetooth/ ir and acquire the books.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:33   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Is there any kindle or kindle like device that is without network requirement.
Something that should be able to connect to a laptop via usb/ bluetooth/ ir and acquire the books.
The basic kindle has inbuilt wifi available for 139. That is the bare minimum which is available.
Old 28th October 2010, 13:35   #70
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Did your order got charged with Import fees deposit? This is the first time I'm getting into my account and it has always been shipping and handling charges so far in my previous purchases.

In my case its almost 82 USD
I checked another option with my colleague in Switzerland. The option of him buying and shipping to me. The difference was 30 USD when the import duty was 82 USD.

Now the fun part, when I tried to see if it still remains the same if I can get it shipped it directly to me, guess what shows up? Import fees of 66 USD

I don't know how this could change within a matter of weeks, but boy am I happy!

Ordered a few mins ago with a blue cover
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:34   #71
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The Kindle has been delivered to my Bangalore address yesterday while I'm holidaying in Goa .

Can't wait to try it but sadly that'll be only on the coming Sunday.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:33   #72
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Looks like all the kindle users are busy reading

I tried the Kindle yesterday and it was a breeze to use. Downloaded a few pdfs from my laprop and started reading. Did not connect to Amazon since I forgot my wifi account password. Will to retrieve it and then connect.

One basic question though - The fit-to-screen size for most the pdfs is turning out to be quite small and the only way to read neatly is to use the Aa text editor and resize it to 150 or 250%. But this involves frequent usage of the 5 key controller a lot, for instance, reading from left to right will always require usage of left key and right key control. I found it tedious and I believe its not good for the eyes too. Since I haven't downloaded anything yet from Amazon, would like know the readability of the kindle ebooks. I hope this is not an issue for these.

P.S - the existent dictionaries and user guides are perfect sizes and I assume the kindle ebooks will also be of the same size?

Last edited by JVH : 8th November 2010 at 12:39.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:45   #73
Team-BHP Support

No, no... don't try reading PDFs natively, it is really tedious. Send the PDF to your kindle email address with the subject set to convert. It will convert the PDF to kindle format and reading becomes a breeze.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:49   #74
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, no... don't try reading PDFs natively, it is really tedious. Send the PDF to your kindle email address with the subject set to convert. It will convert the PDF to kindle format and reading becomes a breeze.
Thanks! Will do that, I'll have to dig for that forgotten password
Old 14th November 2010, 15:18   #75
BHPian

I saw an ad for the Amazon Kindle in the Times of India today. curious, I went to the shopping.indiatimes.com site where I found the 6" Wi-Fi kindle listed for Rs 9,315 (+300 shipping). Can anyone tell me if this is a fraud or does it look genuine? If a Kindle is purchased from this seller, can I open an Amazon account to send and convert PDF's to myself?

Links:

</title> <meta name="description" content="" /> <meta name="keywords" content="" /> <meta name="fb_title" content="" /> <meta name="website" content="http://shopping.indiatimes.com/" /> <meta name="object_type" content="website"/> <link rel="image_sr

http://shopping.indiatimes.com/Shopp...13/pid/4370793

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks