Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2012, 01:54   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Even if you select the Gift option, linking the same to the account is quite simple. Just create a new Amazon account for her (or use your own) and search for a link called 'Manage Your Kindle' under 'Your Account'. Once you are here you'd be able to Register your Kindle by entering the 16 digit serial number printed on your Kindle at the back. It's quite conspicuous.

Just Google for free books. You'd find quite a few books available. Classics are available for free on Amazon as well as Project Gutenberg.

One thing you may want to do is also get her a cover. Either a leather cover or a sleeve just for protection. I am using a sleeve and it helps. Leather cover helps in holding the same as a book too.
Thanks for the clear instructions kalpeshc!

Yes, my mom received the Kindle and I had no trouble registering it for her - creating an amazon account with her email id and logging in. I've downloaded some free books for her from amazon itself. And Teamviewer works great! I got some free books and I could easily transfer them to her Kindle after asking her to connect it to the USB port at home!

Now for another problem - I want a sleeve or cover for the Kindle now. Don't want to really order via Amazon again for it. Any local stuff that we can get from here. Anyone?
Old 18th April 2012, 10:40   #212
BHPian

Locally it's quite difficult to get a cover or a sleeve. I tried very hard but was not able to. Have finally compromised and got myself a sleeve meant for Kindle Fire. It's about an inch larger than required for the Touch but it's doing it's job. It's a Caselogic sleeve - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Case-Logic-6-...item41649911d8

I bought this one.

You'll also get the leather case, etc. on eBay but they're quite costly - around 2-2.5K. It just did not make sense for me to buy a 2.5K case for a 5K product.
Old 18th April 2012, 13:34   #213
Team-BHP Support

The Amazon leather cover is just outstanding. It has withstood 1.5 years of daily abuse and no damage so far. I have it with me all the time, where ever I travel. I have the one with inbuilt light, which I have used many times. The Amazon leather cover is worth every dollar I paid.
Old 18th April 2012, 14:00   #214
BHPian

Good to get first hand feedback. Does the lighted cover throw light evenly only at the screen? I read some customer feedback that the light throw is not even and it also throws light on the face a bit, which put me off a bit.

Lighted cover is something I'd love to have but I'd have preferred the same around 1.5K max. Maybe if Amazon has discounts on their cases, I would love to pick one up.

OT - If one orders from Amazon and have it shipped to India, would duty be applied on cases too?
Old 18th April 2012, 18:40   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Amazon leather cover is just outstanding. It has withstood 1.5 years of daily abuse and no damage so far.
Thanks for the update Samurai. My problem is that I should have placed an order for the case when I purchased the Kindle itself. I don't want to place an order now and have to pay separately for shipping and duties (if applicable) etc.

Quote:
Locally it's quite difficult to get a cover or a sleeve. I tried very hard but was not able to. Have finally compromised and got myself a sleeve meant for Kindle Fire. It's about an inch larger than required for the Touch but it's doing it's job.
Yes, looks like I will also end up buying this one for my mom.
Old 18th April 2012, 22:41   #216
BHPian

I use a Targus case for my Kindle Fire. I have seen the same (or similar but different size) Targus case used for an iPad. I am not sure if the case is available in India, but Targus is a popular brand. The only problem with the Targus cases is that they are overpriced. $30 for a case is not exactly what I would call VFM, but they do last for as long as the tablet enclosed within.
Old 18th April 2012, 22:48   #217
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows how to list all the post in a thread in a single page so I can send it to my kindle as a document?
Let me know if anyone has got an alternate solution to this. I treid using 'show printable version' but that helps just a little bit, doesnt list all the posts in a single page.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:45   #218
BHPian

Ketan - You may want to search the help forums for that. Here it would be completely OT.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:07   #219
BHPian

Kindle for technical PDFs

I have gone through the previous posts and dont think I have an answer to my doubts.

I have a lot of technical pdfs with math formulae in them. No, these pdfs do NOT contain multi-column texts in any page. And the only images are graphs at best or these math formulae. And the page sizes are same but slightly wider than your regular A4s. Finally all the pdfs are in black and white only.

I am in the actuarial field and I am plain fed up of lugging around these printed 1000 page books, hence the research for an alternative. And reading these on my laptop for long durations is a pain

Now, in your opinion, would the Kindle serve my purpose?
Do I need to convert the pdfs, and if so, would the conversion work well? Can I check this somewhere?
Or, do I open them as pdfs from Kindle. It appears this is not the ideal option for these kind of pdfs from the earlier posts.
Or is there any other alternative?
Old 21st April 2012, 11:31   #220
BHPian

PDFs can be converted to Kindle format. The conversion would actually depend on the layout of the PDF file. Considering that it's non multiple columns it should work fine, but at times it tend to remove the tables, etc. Do you have access to someone's Kindle? You can try it on his Kindle. Ask him to get the PDF converted using his kindle account (it's free).

There's an open source software called Calibre where one can convert PDFs to mobi format that Kindle supports. Calibre allows you view these converted files. Try it.
Old 21st April 2012, 15:01   #221
Team-BHP Support

DX model of Kindle is best for reading regular PDF files without losing any details.
Old 27th April 2012, 09:08   #222
BHPian

Quote:
PDFs can be converted to Kindle format. The conversion would actually depend on the layout of the PDF file. Considering that it's non multiple columns it should work fine, but at times it tend to remove the tables, etc. Do you have access to someone's Kindle? You can try it on his Kindle. Ask him to get the PDF converted using his kindle account (it's free).

There's an open source software called Calibre where one can convert PDFs to mobi format that Kindle supports. Calibre allows you view these converted files. Try it.
Thanks for that input. I downloaded and tried the conversion with Calibre. Not satisfactory. Almost all math formulae were lost. So conversion from PDF is not an option for me.

Quote:
DX model of Kindle is best for reading regular PDF files without losing any details.
I agree with you Samurai, after the above experiment. Viewing the PDFs natively is the only option. But DX appears too pricery. Not sure if I want to take the plunge at that price point.

Thanks anyways..
Old 29th April 2012, 10:54   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Locally it's quite difficult to get a cover or a sleeve. I tried very hard but was not able to. Have finally compromised and got myself a sleeve meant for Kindle Fire. It's about an inch larger than required for the Touch but it's doing it's job. It's a Caselogic sleeve - Case Logic 6-7" Tablet & E-Book Reader Sleeve LAPST-107 Tannin Caselogic | eBay

I bought this one.

You'll also get the leather case, etc. on eBay but they're quite costly - around 2-2.5K. It just did not make sense for me to buy a 2.5K case for a 5K product.
I got a soft cloth case for my Kindle Touch - http://www.ebay.in/itm/320888655471?...t_11203wt_1139

This item is sold by some 4-5 sellers and can go as low as 160 bucks home delivered. Is doing the job - nice lining inside.

Do check out a major software update to the Kindle Touch. I loved the subtle changes to the formatting and layout, apart from the ability to read in landscape mode
Old 30th April 2012, 15:17   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Locally it's quite difficult to get a cover or a sleeve. I tried very hard but was not able to. Have finally compromised and got myself a sleeve meant for Kindle Fire. It's about an inch larger than required for the Touch but it's doing it's job. It's a Caselogic sleeve - Case Logic 6-7" Tablet & E-Book Reader Sleeve LAPST-107 Tannin Caselogic | eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I got a soft cloth case for my Kindle Touch - http://www.ebay.in/itm/320888655471?...t_11203wt_1139
I did some searching on Ebay and finally decided on this Leather cover - http://www.ebay.in/itm/280869967176?...84.m1497.l2649

I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by it. I placed an order on Friday and received it today! And it is pretty good. As you can see from the images, you can put the Kindle in the case and hold it in place with small straps at the corners. It also has a rubbery strap on the back to hold the "book" closed. All the buttons are easily accessible even after putting on the case. The inside is also nice and soft. Guess it is a good buy.
Old 30th April 2012, 22:36   #225
BHPian

Quote:
The Amazon leather cover is just outstanding. It has withstood 1.5 years of daily abuse and no damage so far. I have it with me all the time, where ever I travel. I have the one with inbuilt light, which I have used many times. The Amazon leather cover is worth every dollar I paid.
I wish I had read this before I ordered the Great Shield screen protector. I wasted the money as two of the three sleeves are lying in the waste bin after I couldn't get them on correctly - bubbles every time.

And I also didn't knew that I will not be able to read my kindle in dark - without external light source. I am ordering this leather cover now. Thanks Samurai.

I also have a quick question. I have bought the wifi+3G model. Although 3G is suppose to work internationally, any feedback from Kindle 3G users will be great.

Last edited by akbaree : 30th April 2012 at 22:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks