Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:06   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

I wanted to read my pdf on Kindle. Calibre did not give a satisfactory result as formatting had gone for a toss.

Finally I sent the pdf by email to my Kindle account and got the pdf converted to kindle format with all the formatting (including TOC with links) in place. The only issue is that the page numbers and footer come in between, that is manageable. So happy with pdf reading as well.
Old 24th October 2013, 22:10   #347
Senior - BHPian

I received the kindle cover and find that there are some deep scratches. I have initiated a refund process with Amazon. Let me see how it goes.
Old 12th November 2013, 13:44   #348
Senior - BHPian

The kindle cover return was accepted by Amazon, waiting for the refund to be credited to my account. The product is out of stock now. I have to get another cover, planning to go for a basic sleeve which can fit the kindle. I do not have a need for a light as of now.

Very happy with Kindle reading. Almost all my reading is on kindle now and it is very convenient.
Old 18th November 2013, 10:01   #349
BHPian

Patience wins,

Can you please post a picture of the cover you have ordered? I have a kindle paper white and wondering if we really need a cover. The build seems to be already robust enough.
Old 25th November 2013, 20:19   #350
Senior - BHPian

For all you Kindle lovers, there's good news. A new model is on the anvil and should come out in 2014, with a higher resolution screen etc.
Check out this link -
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/24/n...-coming-in-q2/
Old 25th November 2013, 20:45   #351
Team-BHP Support

May be that is my upgrade... my Kindle is older than 3 years now.
Old 25th November 2013, 21:13   #352
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I would like to gift my mother a new Kindle. She reads only kannada novels and I think she has pretty much read most of the authors but she won't mind reading them again now that she is retired. I would like to know if any of you have had any luck in finding kannada novels on the web. Free/paid - anything is fine. PDF format is also ok since I can use software to convert to kindle format.
Old 25th November 2013, 21:50   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I would like to gift my mother a new Kindle. She reads only kannada novels and I think she has pretty much read most of the authors but she won't mind reading them again now that she is retired. I would like to know if any of you have had any luck in finding kannada novels on the web. Free/paid - anything is fine. PDF format is also ok since I can use software to convert to kindle format.
Regional books are very rare to find online in these formats. Selling books in epub/pdf format is still in the nascent stage in India, so you won't have many options. What I'd suggest is taking up a subscription at Just Books. They have many outlets in BLR and have a pretty neat collection of regional books. For an extra charge (50 rs I guess), they deliver books to your home (1 delivery/week) and books can be ordered online.
Old 26th November 2013, 12:38   #354
BHPian

No. He's talking about the new Paperwhite.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:54   #355
BHPian

Hi,

I am thinking about getting the basic kindle ( 6k one)

I basically have a lot of books and presentations back from college which I would read the most. ( All in pdf formats)

I don't think I am going to spend much money on buying e-books from Amazon.

Please suggest if this Kindle would be fine for me or something else. I don't need any special features except for reading books on it

Also: is it a good idea to buy a used one?

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 6th January 2014 at 15:55.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:59   #356
BHPian

Kindle's PDF rendering (in terms of layout) may not be up to the mark. If you want to read PDFs then tablet would end up giving you a better rendering.
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:02   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking of buying the base version of the kindle. I have a large collection of EPUBs from which I keep picking books to read. Does Kindle allow you to import EPUBs or do they have restrictions on what can be imported into kindle?
Asking this as the base kindle does not list EPUB as a supported format
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:23   #358
Team-BHP Support

EPUB can be easily converted to mobi format by Calibre software and read on Kindle.
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:27   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Samurai. Also wanted user inputs on Kindle vs New Kindle Paperwhite. How much of a difference is there when it comes to the display??
I read a lot and hence plan to make this my primary reading device. Not averse to investing a little more as long as there is merit in doing it
Old 26th May 2014, 19:13   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks Samurai. Also wanted user inputs on Kindle vs New Kindle Paperwhite. How much of a difference is there when it comes to the display??
I read a lot and hence plan to make this my primary reading device. Not averse to investing a little more as long as there is merit in doing it
I have the 2013 paperwhite that I picked from the US given the price difference. The improvement is substantial enough to merit the additional investment especially if it is to be your primary reading device, as is mine. Go for it...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks