Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:39   #496
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Hi Oxy.

In what aspects is the new kindle paperwhite different from the older version barring for the 300 ppi resolution and new font that you have mentioned?

It's been a couple of years that I got my kindle paperwhite from the US and it still works like charm. The long battery backup and the ease of purchasing directly from the Amazon store, loading from laptop and easy readability are just unparalleled. Probably one of my best buys ever.
Not much apart from that, though the new font and higher resolution is quite pleasing to the eyes. This might help:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/17/87...ands-on-photos
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:43   #497
Team-BHP Support

Looks like an incremental change at best, given you can't really use the 'better' screen for anything except reading, a task the current screen is already brilliant at. The built-in browser is still crap for any practical use.

Worth buying only if one has to have the latest & greatest, else the existing 2nd-gen Paperwhite is still a great product.

P.S. Read online that the new font and type-setting engine (supposedly improves page-rendering, among other things) will be made available to the 2nd-gen PW too, so the only real gain in buying the new one is the 300ppi screen.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd June 2015 at 15:52.
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:06   #498
BHPian

I have the previous gen. PW. Although this one does seem to be an improvement, I don't think it is as much to justify a purchase for those who are happy with their Kindle PW.

Having said that the "Bookerly" font looks good and I hope that Amazon will upgrade the same to all existing PW too.
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:00   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Yes, USB cable will be provided.
In any case even if you damage or lose cable, you won't have to fret like iPhone users. The cable used in Kindle is microUSB to USB.
Very easily available anywhere. Kindle shows up as a USB storage device. Simply drag and drop!
Oops !

Sorry for a [very] late response ! It seems I missed the thread in oversight !

And thanks for the information !

I gifted my Sis a basic kindle on her B'day and abandoned my plans of buying a Kindle PW temporarily, but as luck would have it, my friend from the US gifted me the one, K-PW with Wi-fi. [ yet to arrive]

I used the basic kindle [ of my Sis] and I felt comfortable reading it but when I tried charging with a Samsung charger, it wouldn't work and I had to switch on the lappy to connect the Kindle cable. But after browsing through faqs, I see that any micro usb charger is compatible. IS that the case ?

Or did I miss anything ?
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:08   #500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
.....I tried charging with a Samsung charger, it wouldn't work......
Strange, I use my S3's stock charger to juice up the Kindle regularly. Works without a hitch. Try another charger if you have a spare.
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:12   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Strange, I use my S3's stock charger to juice up the Kindle regularly. Works without a hitch. Try another charger if you have a spare.
Roger that

Perhaps, it might have been due to some lose connection , but happy to know that I don't need to carry plethora of chargers and wires while going out of town like some Hacker
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:33   #502
BHPian

I second that.

I did not have the luxury of getting a charger along with my Kindle back in 2013.

But I never faced any sort of problems because practically any and every charger suffices to charge it up.

You should probably get it checked up for some loose connections or more.
Old 25th June 2015, 12:36   #503
BHPian

Does any Kindle model display in color (if the book has a page with color illustration, for example) ?
Old 25th June 2015, 13:14   #504
BHPian

Nope. Since it is an e-ink reader, only greyscale is supported.

But, you wouldn't notice it anyways.
Old 25th June 2015, 15:17   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Does any Kindle model display in color (if the book has a page with color illustration, for example) ?
Kindle is really not for illustrations or pictures. Even the cover photo of a novel is monochrome.
Old 25th June 2015, 17:16   #506
BHPian

Thanks neutralgreay & penpusher. I thought it was greyscale only, but someone I know was insisting the Voyage was color.
Old 25th June 2015, 17:33   #507
BHPian

Um, I think he must be talking about Kindle Fire. That is a regular tablet I believe. Owners will have a better idea.
Old 25th June 2015, 17:34   #508
BHPian

Kindle Fire is meant for those who want to also be able to enjoy color books like travel books/mags & children books.

I have a regular e-ink Kindle & for the color Kindle books I use the Kindle app on my Nexus 7 table.
Old 26th June 2015, 09:32   #509
BHPian

I got a Kindle Paperwhite a couple of months ago. It is a great device! It's got me back to reading 2-3 books a month. Contrary to what I had heard, the screen does not strain the eye at all. You need to see it to believe it! The battery life is very good, buying books is a breeze and there are quite a few free books available.
Normally, books are priced on average about a third less than the paperback editions. I'm catching up on some of the free classics at the moment. Also, I feel I can read really fast on the Kindle. I have read a couple of thrillers in 1-2 sittings.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:21   #510
JLS
BHPian

I got Kindle Paperwhite this Tuesday. Good experience so far.
A small band a the bottom ( around 5 mm wide) is slightly less bright compared to whole screen - should I be worried about this?

Also, a query for the members who have purchased flip cover for their Kindle.
Are you able to flip back the front part fully while reading, so that you can hold it using one hand?
Without any cover, I am finding it very convinient and handy to hold with one hand while reading. With flip cover, if I am forced to use two hands, its a major inconvinience.
Looking for feedback on kindle flipcovers on its back folcability, what bulk it adds etc.
Else I may look for a sleeve/pouch (commonly available for 7 inch tab)

All feedback welcome.

Thanks
JLS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks