Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2015, 23:43   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

"Kindle Paperwhite 3G is the easiest option because there isn't any wireless set-up – you are ready to shop, purchase and read right out of the box. Built-in free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that mobile phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments – Amazon pays for Kindle Paperwhite 3G's wireless connectivity."
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00Q...d_i=3419926031

The last part caught me by surprise. So, Amazon pays for your 3G. How?
Old 28th October 2015, 06:34   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Amazon pays for your 3G. How?
They call it Whispernet. They have deals with 3G service providers in the countries where it is available. In the US it is AT&T.
Old 17th November 2015, 11:45   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
IIRC, Kindle Fire is a tab from Amazon so it will be similar to any other backlit tab. It will involve eye strain after a short period. I dont think that is an e-ink reader.
Its not an e-ink reader, but its a pretty nifty device. Its now been in use for about a week, and I cannot believe that it costs just 4000 INR!
Its basically a full fledged android tablet. Ive used a screen filter app, screendim, and it allows me to have it even less brighter than a paperwhite. Weight is more or less same as the paperwhite, andbattery is fantastic. The first charge lasted for 6 days. However, this included a full setup, and a lot of playing around on wifi. Post that, about 2-3 hours of reading everyday.
Extremely good choice.
Old 17th November 2015, 13:30   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Its not an e-ink reader, but its a pretty nifty device. Its now been in use for about a week, and I cannot believe that it costs just 4000 INR!.
Thanks for the feedback!! Seems like a good alternative Am thinking of a basic tab for my 4 year old for his rhymes and stories. This would make for a good choice I guess. So the Fire runs android ?
Old 17th November 2015, 14:19   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks for the feedback!! Seems like a good alternative Am thinking of a basic tab for my 4 year old for his rhymes and stories. This would make for a good choice I guess. So the Fire runs android ?
Fire OS. A derivative.
Keeping the fire for mostly books, you can get a lot of other stuff from the amazon app place as well. Side loading is possible, but I am not interested.
Plus, the android interface is there, so one doesn't feel lost.
Old 17th November 2015, 17:45   #576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its now been in use for about a week, and I cannot believe that it costs just 4000 INR!
Where did you get it for just 4K?
Old 17th November 2015, 17:50   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Where did you get it for just 4K?
Amazon.com. I had someone bring it over. Also, they have an offer of buying 5 or 6, and getting one free.
I think its eminently grabbable, this thing.
Old 17th November 2015, 23:49   #578
BHPian

Quote:
, andbattery is fantastic. The first charge lasted for 6 days. However, this included a full setup, and a lot of playing around on wifi. Post that, about 2-3 hours of reading everyday.
Extremely good choice.
6 days !

I thought it would last only one day even with moderate use as Amazon promises.

"Up to 8 hours of reading, surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, and listening to music. Battery life will vary based on device settings, usage, and other factors such as web browsing and downloading content. Actual results may vary"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC6I06S/..._ods_fs_tab_al

Is this the same device you are talking about?
Old 18th November 2015, 09:31   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
6 days !

I thought it would last only one day even with moderate use as Amazon promises.

"Up to 8 hours of reading, surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, and listening to music. Battery life will vary based on device settings, usage, and other factors such as web browsing and downloading content. Actual results may vary"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC6I06S/..._ods_fs_tab_al

Is this the same device you are talking about?
Nope.
One lower. New Fire, no HD. HD tab, the one you posted, is 100 bucks. This was 50.
Their moderate usage is probably in stock condition. My screen is set to 0.4% brightness during during 95 percent of the usage. Their native brightness control stops at about 10-20. Screendim takes it to 0.4. Screen brightness is a real battery killer.
Old 21st December 2015, 19:54   #580
BHPian

Guys - My wife presented me with a Kindle Voyage couple of months ago. She got it from Croma. At the time Croma didn't have any cases or covers for it. When I checked in Amazon India site, the leather cover is retailing at 4K INR and the non-leather at 3K INR. That is very costly for a cover.

Do you have any suggestions from personal experience for less costly covers available in India for Voyage?
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:43   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Does it make sense to take the kindle unlimited package at 1399 for a year. My reading is typically regular fiction , mystery and thrillers. The Ken Follet, Jeffery Archer, David baldacci,James Rollins types. Has anyone taken this and do new titles come in this? I typically buy new books from these authors and easily spend more than this yearly subscription.

In general I like reading and am open to exploring lesser known authors also.
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:33   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Does it make sense to take the kindle unlimited package at 1399 for a year
I did subscribe for a month and realized that the list of books are either too old or are all Indian authors. Nothing against Indian authors but most of the books are historical fiction or young adult novels, which really isn't my type. Would suggest you take a 1 month subscription, try it out and then take a call
Old 23rd January 2016, 12:12   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Taken a month long subscription. But like with all all-you-can-eat buffet meals there's a catch. Another 3 weeks to try it out. So far the wife likes what she's seen.
Old 25th January 2016, 15:51   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Does it make sense to take the kindle unlimited package at 1399 for a year.
Kindle (Un)limited is an oxymoron . It has a pretty limited collection, if you are pretty new to reading might work for a few months. But if you are a voracious reader and pick and choose your content, I don't think its of much use. Trialed for a month for my wife, the current collection was pretty sad and most of what we wanted wasn't in Kindle Unlimited.

Needless to say, we cancelled with the trial month.
Old 25th January 2016, 15:54   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I did subscribe for a month and realized that the list of books are either too old or are all Indian authors. Nothing against Indian authors but most of the books are historical fiction or young adult novels, which really isn't my type. Would suggest you take a 1 month subscription, try it out and then take a call
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Taken a month long subscription. But like with all all-you-can-eat buffet meals there's a catch. Another 3 weeks to try it out. So far the wife likes what she's seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Kindle (Un)limited is an oxymoron . I

Needless to say, we cancelled with the trial month.

Thanks all for the inputs. I checked for 5 books that I planned to buy in the immediate future and only 1 was available on Kindle Unlimited. So that made the decision easy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks