Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 20:02   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hey, thats awesome Anoop!

Hope you have received it already and no longer need that review

How is your experience with the reader? Are you using an SD card?
Hi Naveen - the Kobo was delivered today but I am still at office, so havn't laid my hands on it. Waiting eagerly to reach home and start playing with it.

--Anoop
Old 12th December 2014, 13:21   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hey, thats awesome Anoop!

Hope you have received it already and no longer need that review

How is your experience with the reader? Are you using an SD card?
Posted a quick review of Kobo Glo in the E-Ink thread (insted of hijacking this thread).
Here is the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3601329

--Anoop
Old 19th December 2014, 11:17   #438
Team-BHP Support

The Kindle Paperwhite is going for ₹8999 today, that is ₹2000 off on all paperwhite models. Really conflicted now, should I wait for voyager or go for last years model?

My 2010 Kindle is working fine, but really feel like upgrading to something modern.
Old 19th December 2014, 11:50   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Kindle Paperwhite is going for ₹8999 today, that is ₹2000 off on all paperwhite models. Really conflicted now, should I wait for voyager or go for last years model?

My 2010 Kindle is working fine, but really feel like upgrading to something modern.
I am tempted to go for the same, Paperwhite is really awesome according to every review I've read, the built in light being the gamechanger, very useful if you travel a lot, you can read without disturbing anyone. You already have the Kindle, why not hold on a bit longer and go for the Voyager, instead of ending up with second best in maybe a year's time.
Old 19th December 2014, 12:00   #440
BHPian

Quote:
You could go for voyager or else for kobo aura. kobo aura was available for around $99/-(around 6K INR) on cyber monday. There might be some deals coming ahead around christmas/new year. I would rather go for newer models than buy a older one at discount. This might be amazon's way of clearing the old stock.
Old 19th December 2014, 12:31   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
kobo aura was available for around $99/-(around 6K INR) on cyber monday.
Kobo? What do I do with hundreds of my Kindle books? I am locked into Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
You already have the Kindle, why not hold on a bit longer and go for the Voyager, instead of ending up with second best in maybe a year's time.
I just realised I might have a visitor coming from US in couple months. I can get the Voyage for US price. So I will wait.
Old 19th December 2014, 12:45   #442
BHPian

Quote:

I am also living with the 2010 kindle now. Except for the lack of built-in light, the kindle is OK. I personally do not like the touchscreen concept on a Kindle device and prefer real buttons to flip the pages. Don't want the reading screen to be smudged by finger prints. So I guess I am stuck with the 2010 model as none of the new kindles have dedicated page flip buttons.
Old 19th December 2014, 12:51   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Kobo? What do I do with hundreds of my Kindle books? I am locked into Kindle.
Moving between kindle and kobo or vice versa is a breeze with calibre. Also, epub is slowly moving onto be the standard for electronic books. The capacitive touch and the bezel flush with the screen is a different experience altogether on aura.

Old 19th December 2014, 13:07   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
I am also living with the 2010 kindle now. Except for the lack of built-in light, the kindle is OK. I personally do not like the touchscreen concept on a Kindle device and prefer real buttons to flip the pages. Don't want the reading screen to be smudged by finger prints. So I guess I am stuck with the 2010 model as none of the new kindles have dedicated page flip buttons.
Well, it's not really hardware per se, but the the Kindle Voyage has haptic buttons on the bezel to flip pages. Real buttons are probably never coming back, unless Amazon decide to put out a retro version.
Old 19th December 2014, 13:29   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally do not like the touchscreen concept on a Kindle device and prefer real buttons to flip the pages. Don't want the reading screen to be smudged by finger prints.
It is not really an issue. Unless you are eating fried food by hand and using the same finger to touch the screen, there is no fingerprint residue. This is a non reflective surface, so the fingerprints after 1 year of use are almost zero.
Old 19th December 2014, 13:46   #446
BHPian

Quote:
I own both a paper-white and the new 7th gen Kindle and trust me fingers prints are a non-issue.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:16   #447
Senior - BHPian

For those who are pining for Amazon Kindle - 1k & 2k discounts are on:

Old & new kindle at 5k:
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B007HCFU90
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00KDRQ2RU

Kindle paperwhite at 2k discount:
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00JG8FHJQ
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00JG8FM2I

I don't really see any need to spend 3k more for the 3g version, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:18   #448
BHPian

Just got the New Kindle from Amazon for 9K + 10% Cashback. Bought Complete works of Jack London and Murakami. Right now my wife has hoarded it and it seems like I'll have to buy another one soon. What I wanted to ask you guy if you've come across a zipper-pouch for it? I haven't seen any on Amazon/Ebay etc. There are leather pouches and cases available, but I don't like any of them. Also, do you think if I should get a screen-guard for it? Trust me, no one will be touching it while eating friend food or any kind of food. :P
Old 19th December 2014, 14:52   #449
Senior - BHPian

^^^ No screen guard necessary. Azmer make some nice soft covers (search for 7" covers on amazon).

Belkin used to make a superb cover a few years back, but haven't seen it online for some time.

I am sure you can get a custom made cover of desired quality at Rs.300-500 at any local bag-maker with a sewing machine. That would be the best option than anything else.
Old 25th December 2014, 18:24   #450
BANNED

Is there any Kindle model(s) that will arrive in India shortly ? I'm planning to buy one.

I'm curious because they are having discounts till Jan 1 2015. Is it part of any stock clearing initiative ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks