Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2014, 22:35   #391
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

How good is the "experimental browser" on the Amazon Kindle? I guess photographs would be in black-and-white and videos would not play, but is it good enough to read stuff on websites for long?

LCD screens do seem to cause some strain on the eyes when reading continuously. If the Kindle's "experimental browser" happens to be good enough, then I think it should suit me better than a tablet in the same price range.
Old 18th October 2014, 23:03   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
How good is the "experimental browser" on the Amazon Kindle? I guess photographs would be in black-and-white and videos would not play, but is it good enough to read stuff on websites for long?

LCD screens do seem to cause some strain on the eyes when reading continuously. If the Kindle's "experimental browser" happens to be good enough, then I think it should suit me better than a tablet in the same price range.
Its VERY limited, can only handle text based pages. Dont bank on it to do any browsing, I havent used it at all in 4 years.

If you want to have a full fledged tablet in which you also want to do some reading, get a Nexus or iPad and use the Kindle app to read.
Old 18th October 2014, 23:26   #393
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Its VERY limited, can only handle text based pages. Dont bank on it to do any browsing, I havent used it at all in 4 years.
That's a disappointment indeed!

How would a site like say, Team-BHP or the ET website render on its "experimental browser"? It would suffice for me if at least the text on sites like these is readable enough, even if the pages render a bit awkwardly. And of course, there is its core function of reading books, pdf files etc.

I'm basically looking for something to reduce the strain on my eyes while browsing, especially at night. My old, trusty iPad 2nd generation is still going strong and is an excellent device overall, but there's no denying that LCD screens cause some eye strain when reading continuously, especially at night.
Old 18th October 2014, 23:30   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
How would a site like say, Team-BHP or the ET website render on its "experimental browser"? It would suffice for me if at least the text on sites like these is readable enough, even if the pages render a bit awkwardly. And of course, there is its core function of reading books, pdf files etc.

I'm basically looking for something to reduce the strain on my eyes while browsing, especially at night. My old, trusty iPad 2nd generation is still going strong and is an excellent device overall, but there's no denying that LCD screens cause some eye strain when reading continuously, especially at night.
No it doesnt, only very simple pages render properly, dont bank on it. Best not to read at night with no ambient light around, if u read an LCD screen in the dark it does strain the eyes.
Old 18th October 2014, 23:59   #395
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No it doesnt, only very simple pages render properly, dont bank on it.
Thank you!

Quote:
Best not to read at night with no ambient light around, if u read an LCD screen in the dark it does strain the eyes.
I guess you've hit the nail on the head!

I hope Amazon upgrades the browser on their next generation Kindle to something better.
Old 19th October 2014, 22:55   #396
Team-BHP Support

Meanwhile, the Kindle paperwhite price in India has crashed to ₹8999.
Old 21st October 2014, 02:02   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Am looking to purchase my first Kindle device. How does the All-New Kindle, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi sound? as in, is it a good first time device. I read quite a lot.
If you read a lot, its best to go for the paperwhite as you can read even at night without disturbing others in the same room (if there are others) and without any eye strain. Have one for close to a year and its simply superb. I read almost for hours without any eye strain. The kindle without the front light is around 6k and the paperwhite around 9k. If you have a habit of reading at night before bed time etc, paperwhite will be worth the investment.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:44   #398
Team-BHP Support

Is Kindle voyager worth the wait when compared to regular Kindle paperwhite? I see the difference in specs, but is it really... Hell, I will wait for the latest considering it is my most used gadget. I spend more time staring at my Kindle than my mobile phone.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:04   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Am looking to purchase my first Kindle device. How does the All-New Kindle, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi sound? as in, is it a good first time device. I read quite a lot.
A basic kindle would suffice if you do not intend to read without lights. I have a basic kindle with wifi, purchased a year back, and I love it.

I tried the paper white and did not like the experience with light. Also, I like to change pages by using the buttons on the side, very easy to press while holding the kindle with one hand.

The only issue with basic kindle is using the keyboard. It is not easy to type without a touch screen. Not an issue for me as I do not use search/ other features much.
Old 21st October 2014, 13:04   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you really read a LOT then invest in the Paperwhite, you wont need anything else for 3-4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
The major difference between the basic kindle and the paperwhite is the presence of light in the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If you read a lot, its best to go for the paperwhite as you can read even at night without disturbing others in the same room (if there are others)
Haha, there are others. True that the Paperwhite seems to be a good deal, considering that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
A basic kindle would suffice if you do not intend to read without lights. I have a basic kindle with wifi, purchased a year back, and I love it.
Yes, but it will mostly be for reading in the dark. On travels and in bed. So the Paperwhite looks like a good choice.
Old 21st October 2014, 22:41   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Is Kindle voyager worth the wait when compared to regular Kindle paperwhite? I see the difference in specs, but is it really... Hell, I will wait for the latest considering it is my most used gadget. I spend more time staring at my Kindle than my mobile phone.
Kindle Voyage seems a whole lot better than the Paperwhite. Design, screen and specs seem to be top notch in the reviews so far - some even calling it the Rolls-Royce of e-readers
I'm also waiting for it, hopefully, it would be priced less than 15k.
Old 22nd October 2014, 04:57   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
some even calling it the Rolls-Royce of e-readers
Check this out! 6.8 inch screen, microSD support, 265DPI and supports ePUB, mobi, PDF file formats.

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/techspecs/

Last edited by JMaruru : 22nd October 2014 at 05:00.
Old 22nd October 2014, 09:41   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Check this out! 6.8 inch screen, microSD support, 265DPI and supports ePUB, mobi, PDF file formats.

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/techspecs/
Had a look at the Kobo line up when they were launched in India. The Aura has good specs but I just think the Kindle ecosystem is better especially in India.
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:55   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a bit of an eyewash. It's always been Rs. 9k. They just make it look like they are doing something special. I got mine earlier this year with a Citibank cashback offer that worked out to about 9K. Since then, I've been keeping an eye on the price to get one for my wife and with some offer or the other the price has always hovered at 9k.
Old 27th October 2014, 11:43   #405
BHPian

Don't know how this is so cheap, generally retails for ~10k. If you're in the market for a e-reader, you should get this (at this price). The seller rep seems good too.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/271641359598?...edirect=mobile

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks