Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 07:55   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Also wanted user inputs on Kindle vs New Kindle Paperwhite. How much of a difference is there when it comes to the display??
I read a lot and hence plan to make this my primary reading device. Not averse to investing a little more as long as there is merit in doing it
Had never used a Kindle but picked up the 2013 Kindle Paperwhite from the US. It is currently my primary reading device for the last 8 months. Had a chance to see & use a Kindle of my colleague and Paperwhite is definitely a good improvement and merits the extra that it demands. Go for it!
Old 27th May 2014, 08:03   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks Samurai. Also wanted user inputs on Kindle vs New Kindle Paperwhite. How much of a difference is there when it comes to the display??
I read a lot and hence plan to make this my primary reading device. Not averse to investing a little more as long as there is merit in doing it
I have a 2nd generation Kindle bought 4 yrs ago. Once you buy one, you would never change it unless it conks off, so you might as well buy the best one available today. That is the paperwhite.
Old 27th May 2014, 14:07   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
I have the 2013 paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
That is the paperwhite.
Thanks Guys. I picked up the paperwhite when amazon ran the 20% discount campaign. Finished 4 books. Love the device and carry it around all the time.
Ordered another one for the Mrs.
Old 30th May 2014, 20:07   #364

Congratulations. There is no turning back after buying a Kindle. It has been ages since I used any other device for reading books.
Old 18th June 2014, 17:50   #365
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy a Kindle Paperwhite but not able to find a deal online. Rs 11000 compared to $119 in US is a hefty premium for basically nothing. Is anyone or their friend is selling the Kindle Paperwhite? At 20% discount on the price, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 18th June 2014, 18:03   #366
Team-BHP Support

The US price of $119 is with special offers, you can't compare it with India price of ₹10999. You should be comparing it with US price of $139 for regular version.
Old 18th June 2014, 18:04   #367
Senior - BHPian

I am using KOBO reader, similar to Amazon Kindle, but Kobo has its own store. They have a glo ebook reader, which costs some 10k odd, but is available at around 6.5-7k on ebay. The usual kobo reader is available at 3.6k.

I think both of the pieces are very good if you are not particular on Kindle. I have been using Kobo reader since past 6 months or so, and am really happy about the decision.
Old 18th June 2014, 18:42   #368
Team-BHP Support

Have you compared the price of the books? I just looked up and compared the prices on books on Kobo and Kindle. The price for Kobo books is 2-4 times expensive compared to Kindle book. It will add up...
Old 18th June 2014, 18:44   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The US price of $119 is with special offers, you can't compare it with India price of ₹10999. You should be comparing it with US price of $139 for regular version.
I have a friend coming from US early August and hence my comparison. I do not want to wait so long.

Quote:
Have you compared the price of the books? I just looked up and compared the prices on books on Kobo and Kindle. The price for Kobo books is 2-4 times expensive compared to Kindle book. It will add up...
I read somewhere that I can read Kindle's AZW formatted book on Kobo by doing some converter hara kiri. Also want an opinion on how good are these ereader when reading pdf's?

Last edited by Samurai : 18th June 2014 at 18:56.
Old 18th June 2014, 18:55   #370
Team-BHP Support

The recent versions of AZW files are protected by DRM. Calibre doesn't work on them anymore. Don't depend on this anymore.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:15   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The recent versions of AZW files are protected by DRM. Calibre doesn't work on them anymore. Don't depend on this anymore.
Do plugins like these work on recent AZWs ?

http://www.wired.com/2011/01/how-to-...ks-and-others/
Old 18th June 2014, 20:40   #372
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, I don't know. I have never tried it.
Old 19th June 2014, 15:30   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Also want an opinion on how good are these ereader when reading pdf's?
Almost all of the ereaders are not good for reading pdfs. The formatting and alignment in the pdf would be entirely lost most of the time. Also, they will be unable to display colours and images as well.

If most of your books are in pdf format, it would be better to get a 7" tablet (like nexus 7) instead of an e-ink based reader.
Old 19th June 2014, 17:18   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Almost all of the ereaders are not good for reading pdfs. The formatting and alignment in the pdf would be entirely lost most of the time. Also, they will be unable to display colours and images as well.If most of your books are in pdf format, it would be better to get a 7" tablet (like nexus 7) instead of an e-ink based reader.
Not true. The sony e-ink based readers are best for PDF's, as they have this text reflow feature for PDF's.

Old 19th June 2014, 22:25   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

There are apps on Android now which have text reflow features. I read pdfs on my smart phone now. Add something like Flux and you are good to go on a regular tab.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks