Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 22:45   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Maybe buy it from a reseller somewhere if it really is that worth it fro me.
Old 16th November 2012, 21:05   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

So after just 2 days of spirited reading on a Kindle keyboard, I'm sold on it. Tremendously easier on the eyes, can read documents and books anywhere, in bed, in the loo, no back aches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, my Kindle is already two years old. The paperwhite kindle sounds interesting.
Sharath, am keen on the paperwhite, but shipping to India is gonna take ages to even be made available. They are struggling just to meet orders in the states. Ordering now, and you'll have it just a couple of days prior to xmas. AND, they've limited it to two pieces per person.

So, if you're getting one, count me in too
Old 11th December 2012, 19:45   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Any feedback on the new paperwhite Kindle?
I bought my mom a Kindle keyboard with WiFi and 3G. I'm planning to take the plunge myself and the Paperwhite Kindle sounds awesome. The lighted display is what sells it for me. But looks like they are struggling to meet demand and moreover, some of the shipped products have had some issues with them. Probably have to wait until Jan till I order.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:06   #274
BHPian

Hi, Where can I buy a Kindle in India and how much does it cost? I can see that it is not officially supported in India. So what happens in case of a support or warranty issue?
Old 6th February 2013, 12:54   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Hi, Where can I buy a Kindle in India and how much does it cost? I can see that it is not officially supported in India. So what happens in case of a support or warranty issue?
You can get one from Croma. Amazon had tied up with them to start with. Not sure if they expanded the store list

http://www.cromaretail.com/Kindle-e-...15040-160.aspx
Old 4th March 2013, 07:40   #276
Team-BHP Support

More choices for e-books readers. Google play book store now available in India. Lets see how the android based tablets try to make any dent. I dont think though anyone can match Amazon content.

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Apps/Books...-in_13674.html
Old 4th March 2013, 11:56   #277
BHPian

i have a brand new 3g keyboard with pouch,i bought 4 for my family in which 2 are being used @ home.i have 2 to spare which i would like to part with to any of the tbhpians @ the actual cost on amazon.com. the box is completely packed & never opened,will open 1 & share some pictures.
i have the invoice of 189$ for the kindle + 20$ for the pouch.please note this is not a commercial deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon Kindle-img00030201303041145.jpg  

Amazon Kindle-485135_547854575229842_953521159_n.jpg  

Last edited by nandishpal : 4th March 2013 at 11:57.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:52   #278
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My wife brought us a base level 69 Dollar Kindle last week. No pouch though.
A nice little thingy. Only black and white but it has wi fi so that is lovely.
Very light, very easy to use and read from. No backlight is a bit of a disadvantage but overall it is highly portable very easy on the eyes etc compared to the iPad.
Easy to carry and easy to charge with that USB charger.
The iPad has zillions more functions and I like the page turning effect and colour effects on its iBooks and other e readers.
Portability and tiny size and lightness are the Kindle's strengths.
Good toy indeed and for my type of use I think the base level one is sufficient.
Old 7th March 2013, 19:54   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No backlight is a bit of a disadvantage but overall it is highly portable very easy on the eyes etc compared to the iPad.
Easy to carry and easy to charge with that USB charger.
The iPad has zillions more functions and I like the page turning effect and colour effects on its iBooks and other e readers.
Portability and tiny size and lightness are the Kindle's strengths.
Good toy indeed and for my type of use I think the base level one is sufficient.
The fact that its not backlit, is the main reason, why its not strain to the eyes. In fact that is its USP !

Meanwhile I just realised that Amazon has started charging for transferring personal documents to Kindle. When did that happen? Is it old news and I did not see it ?
Old 8th March 2013, 00:47   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The fact that its not backlit, is the main reason, why its not strain to the eyes. In fact that is its USP !

Meanwhile I just realised that Amazon has started charging for transferring personal documents to Kindle. When did that happen? Is it old news and I did not see it ?
The backlight on paperwhite doesn't strain the eyes. I have been reading books on it for months now.

Amazon isn't charging for transfer of personal documents to Kindles. I just very recently transferred 2 MOBI files to my kindle by sending them on the kindle email ID.
Old 8th March 2013, 02:00   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
The backlight on paperwhite doesn't strain the eyes. I have been reading books on it for months now.

Amazon isn't charging for transfer of personal documents to Kindles. I just very recently transferred 2 MOBI files to my kindle by sending them on the kindle email ID.
Looks like for 2nd generation Kindle, amazon is charging !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375630
Old 8th March 2013, 02:30   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post

it's not the light being behind the screen, the type of lighting that's straning IMO. From what I have read on net, LED is better than CCFL. LED running at low power (flickering on and off) is worse than LED at full power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like for 2nd generation Kindle, amazon is charging !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375630
Amazon has always charged for documents delivered via whispernet (3G). And never for wifi/USB. I believe it's still the same.
Old 8th March 2013, 07:17   #283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Amazon has always charged for documents delivered via whispernet (3G). And never for wifi/USB. I believe it's still the same.

Oops ! I thought it was for Wifi ! Thanks for correcting me Vivek.
Old 8th March 2013, 11:32   #284
Team-BHP Support

My Kindle doesn't have 3G. So I was never charged for sending via Kindle email id. But I didn't use Kindle email Id after first few months. Now my Kindle is in the third year, and I use Wifi or USB for all my file transfers. Since my android phone can act like Wifi hotspot, I really don't see a point in having a 3G Kindle.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:41   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since my android phone can act like Wifi hotspot, I really don't see a point in having a 3G Kindle.
Sorry. That was my mistake. I thought Amazon had started charging for converting pdf to mobi. (Nothing to do with 3G/Wifi).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks