Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 06:59   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon Kindle

Has anyone tried the Kindle fire? Seems like a very good VFM, color upgrade to E-Ink based Kindle.
The 200$ is amazing value for money.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:54   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
I agree with you Samurai, after the above experiment. Viewing the PDFs natively is the only option. But DX appears too pricery. Not sure if I want to take the plunge at that price point.

Thanks anyways..
besides, you lose the portability which is an mportant factor in kindle's success. I can keep my kindle with cover in my jacket inner pocket and keep listening to audio.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:27   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Has anyone tried the Kindle fire? Seems like a very good VFM, color upgrade to E-Ink based Kindle.
The 200$ is amazing value for money.
I have tried Fire in stores on several occasions. Per Amazon, Kindle Fire is a great success.

However it is not a color upgrade to E-Ink based Kindle. The Fire is regular LCD based - it is rather poor men's alternative for IPad. If I am in market for a tablet, I will go for Ipad.

Last edited by akbaree : 1st May 2012 at 10:28.
Old 1st May 2012, 17:41   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I have tried Fire in stores on several occasions. Per Amazon, Kindle Fire is a great success.
Thanks I was aware that its not a color e-ink. I am merely looking at it as a
LCD based Kindle, which allows me read to color texts. Agreed iPad no doubt the best tablet.
But if one wants a nice color text reader with some basic tablet features this would be really good
from a price point of view as well.

I do agree that iPad with a Kindle app can do that as well. But then one has to pay at least 300$
more for the basic version. From that point of view Fire seems to be nice offering.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:54   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
....LCD based Kindle, which allows me read to color texts. ...
But if one wants a nice color text reader with some basic tablet features this would be really good
Color reading can be done any android based phone as well. My point is that Kindle Fire is not ideal for someone who is looking for a device primarily for reading.

May be some day e-ink display will have color capabilities.
Old 1st May 2012, 22:33   #231
Senior - BHPian

I think they have some prototype of color displays but it's really dull in reality. backlit displays have spoilt us.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:27   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Color reading can be done any android based phone as well. My point is that Kindle Fire is not ideal for someone who is looking for a device primarily for reading.

May be some day e-ink display will have color capabilities.
In total agreement with you! Kindle E-ink is basically for people who read a lot. A back lit display causes strain on eyes whereas e-ink is like reading a hard copy. The backlit screen can be read in dark but e-ink can not be. e-ink can be read in full sunlight whereas backlit is difficult to read.
Old 7th May 2012, 22:24   #233
Senior - BHPian

I got the kindle fire a few weeks back when Amazon was selling them for $139 (factory refurb + 1 year warranty).
Put on a anti glare screen protector, and have the brightness to around 40-50% - the strain while staring at a backlit display is a lot less.
Kindle fire is not a full fledged tablet per se - its more of a distribution medium for electronic content from Amazon - that's why they sell each at a loss and yet make money in the long run.
Its very easy to buy books from amazon or put in your existing .mobi / .pdf books for reading. Just drag and drop without any itunes like interface - which I like the most. i use it mostly for reading and sometimes for email / facebook / games.
In the long run - maybe after the warranty is over - plan to root it and install the latest version of android on it for using it as a 7" tablet.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:09   #234
BHPian

Hi All, First of all I am happy that there is a thread in our forum for Amazon Kindle. I ordered Kindle touch 3G + Wifi from Amazon on 16th. I have been tracking the package and I have opted for Amazon's priority shipping. Seems like the clearance has been done and given to the courier company. Just waiting to get my hands on it. The total cost is $258.94 with $48.96 being import fee deposit. Hopefully they refund part of that $48.96. I have bought a scratch gaurd and a kindle pouch from ebay. Will let you know my experience with Kindle soon.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:59   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I have bought a scratch gaurd and a kindle pouch from ebay. Will let you know my experience with Kindle soon.
Guys, please stick to the hard leather cover by Amazon. It is extremely durable and very user friendly. It feels like reading a real book. Mine is 19 months old, used everyday, zero damage.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post2110844 (Amazon Kindle)
Old 1st June 2012, 15:05   #236
BHPian

Have had a wonderful experience with Amazon's customer support. Am waiting for the loop to close before I post the same. Trust me, if Amazon comes to India with the same set of policies and attitude towards customer service, it's going to be tremendously successful. I am also scared about them changing their policies because quite a few local people would tend to exploit the same goodwill shown by Amazon towards it's customers.

Anyways, enough ramblings. Am eagerly waiting for my upgraded Kindle today Will post the entire experience in a few days
Old 7th June 2012, 12:11   #237
BHPian

Have just completed my forced 'free' Kindle upgrade!

I'd got my Kindle when my cousin came down from the US. For USD 99, the Kindle Touch with sponsored offers was a great deal as the sponsored offers are in no way a hindrance in your Kindle reading experience. After using the same for around a couple of months, one fine day, it just froze! The screen was not responding and it was not even responding to any hard resets. I tried charging the same for around a couple of hours and then the hard reset worked. So basically it started giving me screen freeze issues. I tried contacting the customer support via chat. I was told that the models with sponsored offers is meant for use only in the US and they cannot ship me a replacement back to Mumbai. I'd have to give some US address and ship the product back at my cost. This was too much of a hassle for me and I continued using the product for a few more days. The screen freeze returned again and this time I got a very pleasant customer support executive whom I informed about this issue of mine (about not having an US address). This executive recommended that I upgrade the same to a non-sponsored one by paying USD 40 and then I'd be eligible for the replacement. He took my credit card (I'd to enter it in my account settings) and initiated the process. I was even ready to ship the defective Kindle at my own cost to them and told him so. I don't know why but after the conversation ended, I found out that he'd shipped me an upgraded Kindle, charged just 1 USD on my card and even mailed me a pre-paid shipping coupon of UPS. So basically I just had to drop my Kindle at the UPS drop off location.

The entire experience was absolutely unbelievable for me. I had absolutely no hassle at all and no break in reading at all. My current device was working but was giving screen freeze issues. They shipped using expedited shipping and I received the same within 5 days. They even sent me an extra USB cable despite me telling them that I already had my current one.

Amazon - You guys are truly amazing !
Old 11th June 2012, 10:34   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
The entire experience was absolutely unbelievable for me.
Not surprised at all. I am an Amazon.com customer since 1997, I make at least 5-6 purchases every year even from India. I don't have a single bad experience until now.

Meanwhile, those of you who have read Steve Jobs biography by Jacob Issacson would remember how Steve conspired with the book publishers to increase e-book prices, and cut e-book business of Amazon.com.

Well, the United States Justice department overthrew that deal.

DailyTech - DOJ Could Sue Apple As Soon As Today Over E-Books, Works to Settle With 5 Publishers
DailyTech - Barnes & Noble Unhappy with U.S. Gov.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:38   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not surprised at all. I am an Amazon.com customer since 1997, I make at least 5-6 purchases every year even from India. I don't have a single bad experience until now.
For someone based in India, apart from shipping, how does custom work out on non-electronic items? I mean what kind of products on Amazon are value for money deals for someone ordering from India?
Old 11th June 2012, 10:49   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
For someone based in India, apart from shipping, how does custom work out on non-electronic items? I mean what kind of products on Amazon are value for money deals for someone ordering from India?
I think Amazon has a way to show you the custom charges before you checkout and make the final payment. Their estimates are accurate from what I have heard. Right now with the current rupee value, nothing can be considered value for money. Otherwise, everything apart from physical books and clothes are priced well on Amazon from an Indian perspective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks