Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 22:43   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
For a moment my heart stopped, did I buy the Kindle few days too early? But when I read playing video, I relaxed. This is no e-ink based reader.

Amazon.com never fails when it comes to technology, I think Apple iPad may have a tough contender if Amazon jumps into the fray at that price point.

BTW, let's continue to the Amazon tablet discussion here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...-bb-et-al.html (The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al))
@Samurai san,

There are choices, with reduced prices, but I dont think you lose anything with the current Kindle.

May be it now makes sense to buy the Fire tablet which would double as Ereader (if colour is needed) and most importantly has the amazon library and whispernet backing.
This off course apart from peforming the regular tablet related jobs.
Old 28th September 2011, 22:48   #167
BHPian

I was about to buy the Nook Touch @ $139 today. Do any of the Kindle's make more sense? I am not interested in the Fire as I want e-ink specifically. One disadvantage of the Kindle it seems is that it does not support ePub (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Should I stick with the Nook Touch and also can it "sideload" ePub \ PDF that is obtained outside the B&N store?

Cheers,
V
Old 28th September 2011, 22:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

the one with keyboard dropped only by 15$ if it helps I bought mine in april.

I'll be interested in seeing if touch sensor causes any clarity issues in otherwise paper-like e-ink display.

The cheapest also doesn't seem to have text to speech, most important criteria for me to read my schoolwork on my 3 hr drive to purdue. and it comes with half memory and battery of that of the keyboard version.

@vcash, it's easier to just convert to a text file and send to your kindle. Also calibre converts almost all formats to kindle and even emails them for you.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 28th September 2011 at 22:51.
Old 28th September 2011, 22:54   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Damn! Damn! Damn! They dropped the price by $40 for US customers, the price remains the same for International customers.

The touch version is only for US customers for now.

Anyway, all it can do is read books. So, I am still ok with my recent purchase.
The touch isn't US-only.it officially ships to India too.only the fire doesn't

Kindle e-Reader with Wi-Fi, 6" Display

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 28th September 2011 at 22:56.
Old 28th September 2011, 23:48   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
@vcash, it's easier to just convert to a text file and send to your kindle. Also calibre converts almost all formats to kindle and even emails them for you.
Barring the $20 difference, would you recommend the Nook Simple Touch or the Amazon Kindle (Basic - Not Ad supported @ $109?) I know that a fair comparison would be to the Kindle Touch, but I can't wait till November for the Kindle Touch to Ship. I need to order the device today.

My requirement are simple: Should be a very good eReader (Quick refresh rates, not much strain on the eyes and easy to read \ navigate). Suggestions please?
Old 29th September 2011, 00:01   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Barring the $20 difference, would you recommend the Nook Simple Touch or the Amazon Kindle (Basic - Not Ad supported @ $109?)
I had the same dilemma and I went with kindle just on the pricepoint. the refresh rate is going to be slow with both, .5-1 second. in ebooks content is important and both of them have good content, but research and see where you get better and cheaper books. There is not much of difference in hardware.

My intent was to read my personal documents and hence I was not worried about their ebook selection size. both support external content as long as it's encryption free.

Don't worry about ads. they only appear when the reader is idle. kinda makes it lively
Old 29th September 2011, 00:10   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was about to buy the Nook Touch @ $139 today. Do any of the Kindle's make more sense? I am not interested in the Fire as I want e-ink specifically. One disadvantage of the Kindle it seems is that it does not support ePub (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Should I stick with the Nook Touch and also can it "sideload" ePub \ PDF that is obtained outside the B&N store?

Cheers,
V

If you are OK with Nook, I would say get Fire. Because compared to Nook Fire would be much better and would come with Amazon library which would be a crucial aspect.

With Nook, you would not be getting the E-Ink anyway.
Fire should be a good alternative.
Old 29th September 2011, 00:19   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are OK with Nook, I would say get Fire. Because compared to Nook Fire would be much better and would come with Amazon library which would be a crucial aspect.

With Nook, you would not be getting the E-Ink anyway.
Fire should be a good alternative.
Not talking about the Nook Color. The Nook Touch is an e-ink based reader. I don't want a backlit LCD as this will be only for reading and the LCD based models strains the eyes (A problem I have with my iPad)
Old 29th September 2011, 00:54   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not talking about the Nook Color. The Nook Touch is an e-ink based reader. I don't want a backlit LCD as this will be only for reading and the LCD based models strains the eyes (A problem I have with my iPad)
Sorry I did not get that aspect initially.
If you are looking at E-Ink then I think nothing beats the kindle. Just the sheer library aspect should be enough to draw you towards kindle.

Also I am sure about how the BNM library aspect works. How good is the collection and how is the data management etc,
Old 29th September 2011, 01:29   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Damn! Damn! Damn! They dropped the price by $40 for US customers, the price remains the same for International customers.

The touch version is only for US customers for now.

Anyway, all it can do is read books. So, I am still ok with my recent purchase.
$100 for the Kindle touch is quite reasonable. Sony charges $300 for the reader touch and the glare on the Reader Touch can get annoying (though I hear it's been improved in the newer model).

I'm more interested in the eInk displays because that's what makes the reader stand out from notebook PCs.
Old 30th September 2011, 00:31   #176
BHPian

I am now leaning towards the Kindle Classic ($79). I had one question though? Will this work in India? I have a friend coming from the US who can carry it with him, but I also see that they have an "international" version for $109. What is the difference between the two? Which one should I buy and have shipped to my friend in the US?

I don't plan on buying Amazon content on this Kindle for at least two years. Will be primarily loading my own content (Mostly ePub's converted to MOBI via Calibre). As a side note, will the integrity of the ePub be affected while conversion?

Thanks!
V
Old 30th September 2011, 01:21   #177
Senior - BHPian

Convert the books you want to convert and see via calibre's viewer. Converting PDFs is the worst. it can not handle multi column text and includes header/footer as a part of text.

Which is why i said converting to .txt is easiest. kindle has a very limited set of fonts and it doesn't matter what font your file is in. if you have many tables/pictures you may be disappointed.
Old 30th September 2011, 10:12   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Convert the books you want to convert and see via calibre's viewer. Converting PDFs is the worst. it can not handle multi column text and includes header/footer as a part of text.

Which is why i said converting to .txt is easiest. kindle has a very limited set of fonts and it doesn't matter what font your file is in. if you have many tables/pictures you may be disappointed.
Thanks. Will try this.

Any idea on whether the International Version should be chosen for US delivery or am I good with the $79 model. Thanks.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:11   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
I already own a kindle but still i may go for kindle fire to just use it as a tablet with android OS. This is really the best VFM android tablet available in market with an aggressive pricing.
That is my point too! Because if some one wants a tablet in addition to the kindle, Fire fits the bill perfectly. Because you can share books across (just in case if you need to read it in the tablet).

This is apart from the regular features of the tablet. (Only the camera is missed).
But I guess they wanted to the push the price to the lowest.
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:14   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Will try this.

Any idea on whether the International Version should be chosen for US delivery or am I good with the $79 model. Thanks.
Not sure, India users may be able to help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks