Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 11:18   #241
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
For someone based in India, apart from shipping, how does custom work out on non-electronic items? I mean what kind of products on Amazon are value for money deals for someone ordering from India?
I buy all my pants from Amazon since many years now. Used to be cheaper than buying in India when the dollar was before 45 rupees.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2435135
Old 11th June 2012, 11:26   #242
BHPian

Was very interested in the lighted cover of Kindle but looks like that would fall under electronics and hence maybe levied a higher rate of customs/duty.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:41   #243
BHPian

Friends, just bought my first Kindle (Touch, with offers) today. Ever since it was released, I have been waiting to lay my hands on this neat little device. For some time, my preference had shifted to the iPad (desirable, has color screen, is a swiss army knife but expensive for just reading!) . Hope to have a great experience reading on Kindle!
Old 14th June 2012, 10:15   #244
BHPian

How did you manage to buy the one with Offers? It's not available outside US. If you want to get a Kindle to be used in India, please get one without offers as in case of issues, they will NOT be able to ship the one with offers back to India. I was lucky and they managed to upgrade mine for free but as per their policy they can not ship out the offers version outside US.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:19   #245
BHPian

Quote:
How did you manage to buy the one with Offers? It's not available outside US. If you want to get a Kindle to be used in India, please get one without offers as in case of issues, they will NOT be able to ship the one with offers back to India. I was lucky and they managed to upgrade mine for free but as per their policy they can not ship out the offers version outside US.
I am having it sent to India through someone. You are right. They only allow the non-offers version to be shipped to India directly.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:30   #246
BHPian

If possible it'd be better for you to return that and upgrade it to the non-offers one. Their software is still shaky and you may experience screen freeze issues. In such cases, you may have to return the device for them to ship a new one to you and the non-offers model would just make things that much more simpler.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:46   #247
BHPian

Quote:
If possible it'd be better for you to return that and upgrade it to the non-offers one. Their software is still shaky and you may experience screen freeze issues. In such cases, you may have to return the device for them to ship a new one to you and the non-offers model would just make things that much more simpler.
I read about your experience in your earlier post. Thanks for the tip! But I've read that the screen freeze issues are also present in the non-offers Touch. Let me check with a friend of mine who has a Touch without offers.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:47   #248
BHPian

The freeze issue persists across models - but I meant that it'd be much easier to get a replacement for a non-offers Touch versus an offers Touch.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:32   #249
BHPian

Quote:
The freeze issue persists across models - but I meant that it'd be much easier to get a replacement for a non-offers Touch versus an offers Touch.
Makes sense. Will talk to customer support! Thanks!
Old 14th June 2012, 11:34   #250
Team-BHP Support

Or stick to non-touch, not a single problem since 2010 despite everyday use.
Old 14th June 2012, 21:35   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Or stick to non-touch, not a single problem since 2010 despite everyday use.
Well, the keyboard version is only available on 3G and it costs almost double!
Old 25th June 2012, 10:19   #252
BHPian

Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Need some advice on buying a Kindle. I am planning to buy one for reading in my office cab (mainly PDF docs), and so want to buy e-ink version only. Shortlisted on the Kindle touch wifi, sponsored version (with ads, comes to $99). My options seem to be:

1. Amazon will not ship the "sponsored" version to India, and so I have to buy the Kindle touch ($139). After adding shipping & other costs, it comes to $190 ~= Rs 11K. Really over-priced :(

2. I can get the Kindle wifi sponsored from indian sites (ebay/homeshop18/sulekha), and the price range is Rs 7-8K.

3. Is it sold in any retail stores here (staples/ezone etc ?). That way i can get it immediately too.

Since there is a significant price delta, want to go for second option. However, am not sure if there is a catch - does the "sponsored" version work in India (or will some functionality like downloading books or reading get blocked) ? Can someone help
Old 25th June 2012, 16:34   #253
Team-BHP Support

Do freakout guys... free books from Amazon for us.

Hundred Zeros | Free Kindle Books
Old 26th June 2012, 12:39   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do freakout guys... free books from Amazon for us.

Hundred Zeros | Free Kindle Books
FYI this is just the best sellers list from amazon itself Amazon Best Sellers: best Kindle Store
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:55   #255
Senior - BHPian

Kindle in India !

Amazon launches India Kindle Store | E-book readers - CNET Reviews

Most Viewed