Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:44   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Ok here is an update.
The kindle which was shipped to me had a vodafone sim in it.
So when I selected the Vodafone(2G) network I was able to connect to websites via EDGE.

From what I have heard that if you take the touch screen version of kindle you cannot open all the websites. Only amazon related one. Can anyone confirm?

I chose the keyboard one. And I am able to open facebook.
I have Kindle Touch(Wifi). connected to Wireless Router internet, Tried with browser and I can reach facebook and other websites though redirected to mobile version. may be it is not so with Kindle Touch 3G.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:40   #197
BHPian

I would recommend a Sony Reader with WiFi instead of a Kindle because the Sony Reader is not software-crippled in any way, the text zoom is much better because the reader changes the layout to fit the zoomed-in text on the screen, and the battery needs recharging once a month if all you do is read ebooks.
Old 6th January 2012, 19:53   #198
Senior - BHPian

Ok update 2:
In my quest to read my technical PDF on the Kindle I ran up against the lack of custom zoom on Kindle while browsing PDF's.

Way out:
Find the chm equivalent of the PDF's you are looking for. For me most of these are books and both PDF and .chm format are available.

Then use the calibre to convert it to MOBI format and send it to the device.

Bingo. You are ready to go.

Initial few pages like table of contents are a bit messed up.
So are the tables( sometimes they get clipped).

But the diagrams render perfectly.
Its almost 99% on mark overall.

And to think I got this kindle for my wife. Despicable me.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:13   #199
Team-BHP Support

Checkout the price of Kindle now..

Junglee.com: Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - for international shipment
Old 20th February 2012, 22:44   #200
BHPian

Hi guys, bought a Kindle Touch Sponsored for Rs. 6.4K from iccworld.

Outstanding product. The touchscreen is extremely intuitive and just doesn't leave any fingerprints around.

Installed calibre and transferred all my epubs/pdfs from my computer. Works like a charm. The sponsored version is not a deal breaker at all. I've not yet seen one since I hardly connect to wi-fi.

Great VFM at this price.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:18   #201
BHPian

I've ordered a Kindle Touch (Wifi) from the US and would be getting the same soon. I've made sure that I mark the same as a gift as my relative is getting the same for me. Now once I start it do I have to register using some email address/account details? I'd be using it in India and don't plan to buy books from Amazon. If I register it as being used in India, would I be able to avail of the offers that they stream on device? At times covers/sleeves are available at 50% discount and that's one thing I've not got myself in this round of purchase.

I do have an option of registering the same as an US address (relative's) but I read somewhere that they're able to identify you with some geolocation code.

Last edited by kalpeshc : 28th February 2012 at 10:21.
Old 5th March 2012, 16:43   #202
BHPian

Got my Kindle Touch yesterday. Amazing product. I am wondering why I did not bought this earlier. My relative flying down from the US got this @ $99 (Wifi version). I reckoned that since I already have a 3G plan on my phone I can use the same if I needed some quick access to the net. Not sure whether 3G version would have been useful. May find out in a few months. And Calibre is a true gem of a product. Once you have it, your library ends up being quite organized.

I registered the device as from India and found that I cannot access some books from Amazon and even the Active content (Apps/Games) are not available for Indian consumers. I don't plan to buy much books from Amazon except it's free books which you can download using Wifi.

I am now hunting for a good cover as it requires one and the ones on Amazon are quite costly. Not sure whether one can order directly from Amazon and not worry about any duties. Locally these are quite difficult to get.
Old 12th March 2012, 14:29   #203
BHPian

Amazon Kindle DX - or rather a flood of them!

Hi kalpeshc,

The Kindle Touch is great, but the screen size is somewhat restricted in real estate for reading PDFs.... I needed to squint, plus the test doesn't auto-rotate. The Kindle DX is MUCH MUCH better for reading PDFs - especially technical books with diagrams etc.

Don't ask how I get into such situations, but due to various colleagues returning from US simultaneously and being obliging enough, I have ended up possessing no less than THREE Kindles at once (two Kindle DXs and one Kindle Touch!) and thus I wish to sell one of them :-)

I wish to be fair and NOT make a single Re. profit however I do wish to get what I paid for it. I bought it at a deep discount and will pass on that discounted price to you.

I have put the Kindle DX, hot and fresh from the US, for sale in the classifieds.

I do hope a true genuine book lover will buy it.

Regards,
Ketan
Old 12th March 2012, 14:43   #204
BHPian

I think there's some misunderstanding. I've already got my Kindle and I am just looking for it's cover (folio or sleeve)
Old 12th March 2012, 17:03   #205
BHPian

Hey Kalpeshc,

I was by no means suggesting that you ditch your Kindle in favor of my Kindle DX.

The above post was just discussing how a Kindle DX is better than a Kindle Touch for reading technical documents / magazines etc.

Sorry for not being clear.

Do enjoy your Kindle Touch, it is still a fantastic device (of course, because I have got myself one ... err.. three too)
Regards,
Ketan
Old 12th March 2012, 17:08   #206
BHPian

You are one lucky fellow. The Kindle DX has a larger screen and I can see how that would be better for reading. It's like the difference between reading a magazine and a paperback (in terms of dimensions). The more I am using the Kindle the more I am falling in love with it. At the same time I can see that there are areas where Amazon can improve on.

Have finally managed to get a cover for Kindle Fire locally. Even though it does not fit Touch accurately, it's better than nothing. Now the next item on the list would be reading lights for night.
Old 5th April 2012, 20:32   #207
Senior - BHPian

I'd placed an order for the Kindle WiFi 3G yesterday with premium shipping but saw that the date for delivery is showing as the 11th - though premium shipping must've got it to me on the 8th or so. So sent a mail to Amazon and they've returned the premium shipping charges back to me.

Though this doesn't help me any. It is a gift for my technophobic mum who reads a lot and now since I am leaving on Easter, not sure how I will set it up for her. Especially download some books etc.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:22   #208
BHPian

There's nothing required to set up if you've purchased it through your Amazon account and not selected the 'Gift' option.

If you purchase any books off Amazon, they'd be delivered automatically to the Kindle anywhere in the world. If you want to download some free books, you can mail your mom the books (.mobi) files and then it's just a matter of having someone help her copying the file to the Kindle (which shows up as a removable drive once connected to PC via USB).

Use Teamviewer on your PC to help out your mom when you are not around. She just would have to switch the PC on and then you can take over and guide her.
Old 7th April 2012, 14:59   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
There's nothing required to set up if you've purchased it through your Amazon account and not selected the 'Gift' option.

If you purchase any books off Amazon, they'd be delivered automatically to the Kindle anywhere in the world. If you want to download some free books, you can mail your mom the books (.mobi) files and then it's just a matter of having someone help her copying the file to the Kindle (which shows up as a removable drive once connected to PC via USB).

Use Teamviewer on your PC to help out your mom when you are not around. She just would have to switch the PC on and then you can take over and guide her.
Thanks! Ah but I had selected the "gift" option but bought it through my amazon account. But I think it is better I set her up with an amazon account but use my credit card to pay for books etc. Then I can just purchase books for her. And yes, thanks for the clarity on the books part. I can then easily send her .mobi files and have someone just transfer the books for her.

And yup, Teamviewer is perfect. I will install that before I leave.
Old 7th April 2012, 15:46   #210
BHPian

Even if you select the Gift option, linking the same to the account is quite simple. Just create a new Amazon account for her (or use your own) and search for a link called 'Manage Your Kindle' under 'Your Account'. Once you are here you'd be able to Register your Kindle by entering the 16 digit serial number printed on your Kindle at the back. It's quite conspicuous.

Just Google for free books. You'd find quite a few books available. Classics are available for free on Amazon as well as Project Gutenberg.

One thing you may want to do is also get her a cover. Either a leather cover or a sleeve just for protection. I am using a sleeve and it helps. Leather cover helps in holding the same as a book too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks