Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2014, 22:31   #451
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

The All new Kindle is now available for Rs.4999, while the Paperwaite is Rs.8999 after discounts.

Does the inbuilt light in the Paperwaite command a premium of Rs.4000? I don't see any other major difference between the two models. The All New Kindle suddenly looks like a lot of value for money.
Old 28th December 2014, 10:31   #452
BHPian

If you plan to do quite a bit of reading in dark or low light conditions the paperwhite is excellent and well worth the money. I had the regular kindle and bought the paperwhite for above reason. However, in normal lights, regular kindle is good enough.
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:03   #453
BHPian

I got the new regular kindle for my daughter a month back. However, I seem to be using it more than her. Its an excellent experience if you want to compare to reading a hard copy. There is no additional strain to the eye despite 2-3 hours of continuous reading. I get pretty bad eye pain if I do the same reading on my ipad or iphone which I am guessing is due to the backlight. People with glasses or ones prone to headaches/eye pain, this is a very good option.
For those interested, I was looking for a case for it and found the amazon case to be too pricey, almost costing as much what the device cost me. I went to the local electronics market in Chennai and scoured dozens of shops and didnt find any that had a case built for a kindle, though I was offered a generic one at one shop. I then purchased it on ebay at about 750 less 10%. Its a good fit, though the magnetic clip is not very strong and the fold back of the flip case may not last but it was the best looking flip case that I could find.

Last edited by diyguy : 2nd January 2015 at 13:12. Reason: Added Accessory Detail
Old 5th January 2015, 12:43   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I got the new regular kindle for my daughter a month back. However, I seem to be using it more than her. Its an excellent experience if you want to compare to reading a hard copy. There is no additional strain to the eye despite 2-3 hours of continuous reading. I get pretty bad eye pain if I do the same reading on my ipad or iphone which I am guessing is due to the backlight. People with glasses or ones prone to headaches/eye pain, this is a very good option.
For those interested, I was looking for a case for it and found the amazon case to be too pricey, almost costing as much what the device cost me. I went to the local electronics market in Chennai and scoured dozens of shops and didnt find any that had a case built for a kindle, though I was offered a generic one at one shop. I then purchased it on ebay at about 750 less 10%. Its a good fit, though the magnetic clip is not very strong and the fold back of the flip case may not last but it was the best looking flip case that I could find.
Your and my case are so strikingly similar, the only difference being - in my case Santa gave it to my daughter and obviously without the case. Rest everything is the same.

I bought a case from Amazon for close to a thousand bucks but had to struggle a lot to slot the Kindle in. It just didn't fit in. Most regrettably I had to return it. I didn't like the cheapo plastic either.

Wondering what to go in for now. Can you give me the precise link to the ebay product that you bought?
Old 5th January 2015, 13:42   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Your and my case are so strikingly similar, the only difference being - in my case Santa gave it to my daughter and obviously without the case. Rest everything is the same.

I bought a case from Amazon for close to a thousand bucks but had to struggle a lot to slot the Kindle in. It just didn't fit in. Most regrettably I had to return it. I didn't like the cheapo plastic either.

Wondering what to go in for now. Can you give me the precise link to the ebay product that you bought?
Man, you arent going to believe it, but my Kindle was a gift for Christmas too. Though I had purchased it a month back, she got it under the tree along with a lot of other Santa stuff
Heres the link - Kindle 7 Case
Old 5th January 2015, 14:23   #456
Senior - BHPian

I guess we wanted it from Santa more than our daughters :-) And thanks for the link. Do you want to comment on the quality of the plastic?
Old 5th January 2015, 15:42   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I guess we wanted it from Santa more than our daughters :-) And thanks for the link. Do you want to comment on the quality of the plastic?
Its a decent one based on my 4-5 days of usage. It should have been in the 300-400 range, but I guess it is a supply demand issue. The demand is less and hence the price is more. For approximately 680, it is a good buy considering the official one from amazon is 2K.
Also it is as pictured in the photos on the site there. It was a snug fit and I had to push it in for it to get locked, so dont get perturbed by that.
Old 5th January 2015, 15:51   #458
Senior - BHPian

We have two kindle Paperwhites at home. We bought the first one with Amazon cover and I tried a couple of different covers with the second one. None of them worked perfectly, one didn't fit well and I really had to push my kindly hard, other's magnetic lock didn't work well. I got frustrated and eventually bought Amazon cover for the second one. It didn't help that I kept on comparing with the original cover.

So I believe if you want your cover to fit perfectly (neither too tight nor loose) and work perfectly i.e. close snaps securely closes the magnetic lock and puts kindly to sleep and open wakes it up, I recommend you spend that extra bit and buy Amazon cover.

However I didn't try the one that is mentioned in the link above. May be that is the perfect one.
Old 5th January 2015, 17:02   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
So I believe if you want your cover to fit perfectly (neither too tight nor loose) and work perfectly i.e. close snaps securely closes the magnetic lock and puts kindly to sleep and open wakes it up, I recommend you spend that extra bit and buy Amazon cover.

However I didn't try the one that is mentioned in the link above. May be that is the perfect one.
Absolutely agree on this, however the regular Kindle cost me 50$ while the official case is priced at 40$. So figured might as well buy a second kindle if this first one got damaged instead of coughing up so much for the case.
The one I picked up on ebay is fairly good and does the sleep/wake up well. The magnet lock works but it is not a tight click. It remains closed though. Maybe its just me being finicky. We can wait to hear Sudipto-S-Team's feedback if he does pick it up.
Old 5th January 2015, 17:24   #460
BHPian

I've been using a leather case for my Kindle Paper White since 2013 is quite happy which cost me Rs. 900/-

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00D...ilpage_o02_s00
Old 5th January 2015, 17:26   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The one I picked up on ebay is fairly good and does the sleep/wake up well. The magnet lock works but it is not a tight click. It remains closed though. Maybe its just me being finicky. We can wait to hear Sudipto-S-Team's feedback if he does pick it up.
I had bought this one from ebay.in.

On the site they call it 'Thinnest and lightest leather cover case for Kindle Paperwhite Tablet 6"'. Paid 850 for it. Looks good, fits well and switches it on/off. However, from the photo it looks much similar to what diyguy has bought albeit much cheaper. Just one grip - it is about 1/2 mm short. Am I asking for much?
Old 6th January 2015, 10:29   #462
BHPian

Guess it's the same that I purchased
Amazon Kindle-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420520333.722990.jpg
Amazon Kindle-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420520351.652392.jpg
Old 9th January 2015, 19:12   #463
BHPian

I got this cover for my paper weight. Happy with it. Fits fine. Got mine around Christmas. Love reading on it.
Old 9th January 2015, 19:21   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
I got this cover for my paper weight.
I hope you meant "paper white" and not "paper weight"!
Old 9th January 2015, 19:46   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
I hope you meant "paper white" and not "paper weight"!
Yes you are right. Thanks for pointing out. Auto predict from swipe input gone wrong. Didn't pay attention.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks