Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2015, 18:27   #541
BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Anything groundbreaking about the update? Does the new font and typeset make a huge difference incrementally?

My PW 2nd Gen is pretty stable as-is, so I don't want to go about changing stuff just for the heck of it.
I wouldn't call it groundbreaking, although the bookerly font seems more rounded, cleaner & slightly sharper.

Also the kindle didn't ask for approving the update or anything, when I flipped the cover open for reading, the update had already run on its own. So unless you keep Wi-Fi switched off, I don't know if you really have a choice of not updating.
Old 26th August 2015, 12:44   #542
Senior - BHPian

Bookerly font (on my kindle) looks almost the same as Palatino.
Just that it is slightly more squat and less tall.

I actually prefer the dark typeface like Arial/Helvetica or Caecilia.
The rest are too thin and require strong incident lighting to look beautiful.
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:43   #543
Senior - BHPian

Amazon had launched the kindle unlimited service in india? Is it worth pay for subscription? Also, do we also get access to audibles like US? Does any one know?
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:05   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Amazon had launched the kindle unlimited service in india? Is it worth pay for subscription? Also, do we also get access to audibles like US? Does any one know?
I just got the notification. At Rs. 1800 a year, it sounds a steal to me. The key thing is this:

"As a member of Kindle Unlimited, you may read Kindle books from a designated list of titles an unlimited number of times for so long as you are a member of the program."

The designated list is here: https://www.amazon.in/b?node=4728739031
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:04   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I just got the notification. At Rs. 1800 a year, it sounds a steal to me. The key thing is this:

"As a member of Kindle Unlimited, you may read Kindle books from a designated list of titles an unlimited number of times for so long as you are a member of the program."

The designated list is here: https://www.amazon.in/b?node=4728739031

Good for you binand. I tried looking for three titles that I had wanted to read and did not find even one with kindle unlimited. Some very popular novels are still not on kindle unlimited

example:

Any of the John Green / Dan Brown or David Baldacci books
Most , if not all of the NY times best sellers list

I was ready to spent their 99 for the month of september if I would have atleast got 1 book that I was looking for. I would still take a subscription if there is audible access. If you do are taking this, can you please check if audible access is present?
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:35   #546
BHPian

Quote:
I was ready to spent their 99 for the month of september if I would have atleast got 1 book that I was looking for. I would still take a subscription if there is audible access. If you do are taking this, can you please check if audible access is present?

I agree with your sentiment in entirety. I searched for a couple of my favorite authors (and I'm terribly cliched and mainstream in this regards) and found none. Surprising.

Perhaps this aimed squarely at those seeking exposure to new writing. Indie stuff etc. Not the best way to steer subscribers your way.

At the price point I might just do it anyway; parking at the mall costs more.
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:02   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some very popular novels are still not on kindle unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I searched for a couple of my favorite authors (and I'm terribly cliched and mainstream in this regards) and found none. Surprising.
Actually Amazon's issues with the big 5 publishers are well-known; the books they publish are not available on Kindle Unlimited (and probably elsewhere on Amazon too).

The big 5 are: Penguin, Random House, Macmillan, HarperCollins, Hachette, Simon & Schuster.

Quote:
I would still take a subscription if there is audible access. If you do are taking this, can you please check if audible access is present?
Yep, will do.
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:21   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
the books they publish are not available on Kindle Unlimited (and probably elsewhere on Amazon too).

Robin Cook, Michael Cricton, Gillian Flynn etc are definitely available on the kindle store but not as part of the kindle unlimited offer.
Old 17th September 2015, 12:24   #549
BHPian

Kindle Unlimited is a VFM offer though you may not find the International Famous Authors in the list.

The list is exhaustive though one may not find many names appealing. But having said that, there are certain interesting books in every genre that could grab the attention of a potential reader. i'd say you can go for it if you can pick up any book if you are not obsessive about a
Old 28th September 2015, 23:54   #550
BHPian

Team, I need some advice.
I have recently bought a regular kindle and downloaded quite a few books.
Now today when I connected to laptop for charging, all books on device are missing. But the same books are shown on cloud.
Through USB cable when I checked device memory all books are seen.
Kindly help.
Old 29th September 2015, 11:43   #551
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Team, I need some advice.
I have recently bought a regular kindle and downloaded quite a few books.
Now today when I connected to laptop for charging, all books on device are missing. But the same books are shown on cloud.
Through USB cable when I checked device memory all books are seen.
Kindly help.
Hope, by now your problem is solved!

If not, you need to keep your connection in charge only mode. When you connect Kindle to the laptop, it charges plus syncs. While syncing it does not allow you to see content on Kindle.

Your Kindle should have been displaying the following:
"USB Drive Mode"
"If you want to read or shop on your kindle while continuing to charge over USB, pleae keep the USB cable attached but eject your kindie from your computer."

So you need to eject your Kindle from the computer, and you should be able to read.

If the above is not the case, you need to contact the tech support.

Regards,
JLS
Old 29th September 2015, 13:11   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Hope, by now your problem is solved!

If not, you need to keep your connection in charge only mode. When you connect Kindle to the laptop, it charges plus syncs. While syncing it does not allow you to see content on Kindle.

Your Kindle should have been displaying the following:
"USB Drive Mode"
"If you want to read or shop on your kindle while continuing to charge over USB, pleae keep the USB cable attached but eject your kindie from your computer."

So you need to eject your Kindle from the computer, and you should be able to read.

If the above is not the case, you need to contact the tech support.

Regards,
JLS
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried all that you have listed above to no avail.
Now I have to contact tech support.
Thanks.
Old 29th September 2015, 15:09   #553
Senior - BHPian

I dearly wanted to try Kindle considering the amazing reviews that I have seen.
So last month, ordered a Kindle Paperwhite from amazon for 11K.
Got it the next day, but found the screen to be shockingly small for my tastes. Since I use spectacles (have both +/- with -4.5 in one eye), adjusting font size for readability meant maybe half a page in a screen.
Immediately filed a return, and ordered an Ipad air 2.
I find ipad air 2 to be quite good (not an apple fan). Glare is non existent if I disable auto brigthness, read in sepia, and use charter font.
I personally found Kindle to be overrated and not to my liking at all. Never saw a Kindle in person prior to buying and was perhaps fooled by the TV commercials which led me to believe that it would be suitable.
Again though, amazing return by amazon. No questions asked return and refund unlike Flipkart.
Old 29th September 2015, 17:27   #554
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried all that you have listed above to no avail.
Now I have to contact tech support.
Thanks.
May be you de-registered your device by accident. Try connecting again to wi-fi and re-registering. Your books should download automatically
Regards
JLS

Last edited by JLS : 29th September 2015 at 17:29.
Old 30th September 2015, 11:55   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I personally found Kindle to be overrated and not to my liking at all. Never saw a Kindle in person prior to buying and was perhaps fooled by the TV commercials which led me to believe that it would be suitable.
There are certain advantages of e-ink technology compared to tablet/mobile screens. It is designed for pure-text books which can be read hours and hours daily. The eyes do not strain, it is easy to hold in one-hand, battery life is amazing and it can be read in bright sunlight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks