Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 20:35   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Can you share your experience with it? How does it feel to read a book on Kindle? Do you miss that hardback feel or overall experience is not that bad?
Have been using one for close to 2 years now. It is an amazing screen and i never felt like going back to the paperback or hard back books. It also does not tire your eyes and I have read for quite a number of hours without any eye strain.

With regards to free books, the list keeps changing. So if you are fan of the Crime/Thriller/Mystery genre (another Lee Child fan here ) you will land some really good books for 0 bucks. I have enjoyed reading Nick Pirog (3 am, Unforseen, Gray Matters) and some less known authors like B.V. Lawson, Ryan Casey etc all for free on amazon. So you have to keep visiting the section you enjoy most and look for some good ones based on the rating and reviews.
Old 27th July 2016, 08:50   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
With regards to free books, the list keeps changing. So if you are fan of the Crime/Thriller/Mystery genre (another Lee Child fan here you will land some really good books for 0 bucks. I have enjoyed reading Nick Pirog (3 am, Unforseen, Gray Matters) and some less known authors like B.V. Lawson, Ryan Casey etc all for free on amazon. So you have to keep visiting the section you enjoy most and look for some good ones based on the rating and reviews.
Thanks Abhinav for your feedback. I'm slow getting the feeling that I made a good decision of ordering the Kindle (even though pretty late entrant to this game)

Will reach out to you for any tips/recommendations on titles in near future. If you have a ready list available, it would be awesome if you could share it with me

< 2 Weeks to go for my White Kindle Paper-White to arrive
Old 27th July 2016, 08:57   #648
Senior - BHPian

I have got an email from Amazon to get flat Rs. 2,000 discount on the Kindle Paperwhite OR a Rs.1,000 discount on The All-New Kindle.

Please let me know if someone needs it, I will pass on the discount code. If it is account specific offer, i can buy it for you on CoD.

Offer valid till August 5th, 2016 according to mailer.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:28   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I have got an email from Amazon to get flat Rs. 2,000 discount on the Kindle Paperwhite OR a Rs.1,000 discount on The All-New Kindle.
That's an awesome offer. I just checked other day at Crosswords and they were quoting 11K for the Kindle Paperwhite and that too in black color

I wanted the white color and even with this offer it would still work out expensive by a small margin
Old 31st July 2016, 11:57   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
You have to extract the files. To make it clean, extract to a new directory and in that directory run Kindlegen after renaming index.html

Kindlegen -gif input.html -o test.mobi

Input.html is the renamed index file.
The directory will have two more directories I think, images and css if I remember correctly

I use Mac at home and Linux at office. I think you are using windows, else could have sent you a simple Perl script to automate many PDF files.

Just a bonus: calibre can edit the title, author out any other meta information, single file or in batch mode.

Girish
I tried the process on at least two different PDF files.

I realized that doing all of these steps results in no benefit compared to reading the PDF as is on the Kindle device.
There is no way to increase the font or avoid the zoom/ pan operations.

So, all of this hassle is not giving any benefit. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.
Old 31st July 2016, 14:42   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I tried the process on at least two different PDF files.

I realized that doing all of these steps results in no benefit compared to reading the PDF as is on the Kindle device.
There is no way to increase the font or avoid the zoom/ pan operations.

So, all of this hassle is not giving any benefit. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way.
If the PDF is a scan, then none of these work as they will just figures. Can you send me the link to the PDF, will check what might be the problem.
Old 31st July 2016, 16:16   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
If the PDF is a scan, then none of these work as they will just figures. Can you send me the link to the PDF, will check what might be the problem.
I have sent you PM now.

After my last message, I looked for more options and I came across this link:
http://blog.refu.co/?p=1158

I tried the k2pdfopt tool and it does produce a reasonable output - I did find the 'quality' of the text going down.

I was not able to get Tesseract working with the k2pdfopt tool despite downloading the entire language pack and also the Windows version of the Tesseract engine.

The output from k2pdfopt is basically a PDF which has much bigger font size (but you cannot adjust the size inside Kindle) and there is also no working Table of Contents as well.

None of my PDF's are actually in image format. If I use my computer to view the PDF's, the text is selectable and searchable.
Old 31st July 2016, 17:11   #653
BHPian

Quote:

None of my PDF's are actually in image format. If I use my computer to view the PDF's, the text is selectable and searchable.
Please send me the link to the PDF so that I can check the problem.
Old 8th August 2016, 14:07   #654
Senior - BHPian

Finally ordered an Amazon Kindle (basic version) yesterday from Amazon. It is expected to arrive on Wednesday. For a long time I wanted to get a Kindle but somehow other priorities didn't allow me to do so.

By chance, discovered a gift card in the wardrobe while cleaning on Sunday and put it to good use
Old 8th August 2016, 18:09   #655
Senior - BHPian

My Kindle has some faint black areas toward the bottom of the screen. It looks like the screen is not perfect.

So, the screen does not appear to be very uniform towards that edge (where the Kindle engraving is present.)

Has anyone else got the same quality issues?

(I am using PaperWhite, white color.)
Old 8th August 2016, 18:54   #656
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Kindle has some faint black areas toward the bottom of the screen. It looks like the screen is not perfect.

So, the screen does not appear to be very uniform towards that edge (where the Kindle engraving is present.)

Has anyone else got the same quality issues?

(I am using PaperWhite, white color.)
That's a side-effect of the kind of illumination used on Paperwhite, which basically speaking is illumination from the front rather than the back to eliminate screen glare. Look at the bottom edge of your device at an angle from the top edge, and you'll see the illumination spots separated by the width of what seem like dark spots.

It's by design; every Paperwhite I've ever seen has it, including my own.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th August 2016 at 18:55.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:10   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

It's by design; every Paperwhite I've ever seen has it, including my own.
Thanks for confirming on this.

BTW: There is deal ongoing for Kindle unlimited: 1 year @ Rs. 1388
https://www.amazon.in/gp/kindle/ku/s...g=16CL1Xforums
Old 10th August 2016, 16:37   #658
Team-BHP Support

Anyone who likes some old-fashioned classics, the Project Gutenberg site has several gems in Kindle-supported formats, some even have basic illustrations. I'm having a whale of a time (re)reading some old favorites.

Currently reading Dumas, the D'Artagnan romances may just be serialized fiction but provide good insight into royal intrigue in the times it's set.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th August 2016 at 16:40.
Old 10th August 2016, 16:47   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Anyone who likes some old-fashioned classics, the Project Gutenberg site has several gems in Kindle-supported formats, some even have basic illustrations.
Does it have any story books for kids in the 6-8 year age group?
Old 10th August 2016, 17:11   #660
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does it have any story books for kids in the 6-8 year age group?
There seem to be plenty of choices for children's books: fiction, history, poetry/verse, picture books, literature, fairy-tales etc.

Check under Home > Book Categories > Children's Bookshelf and pick what you feel is appropriate for the age group. Most books have an introduction included on the site to assist, and stuff on the site is well-cataloged.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th August 2016 at 17:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks