Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 23:07   #796
BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Hey,

Have one doubts and need few help:

1. Has there an update on Kindle PW 10th Gen rolled out?

2. Need help to convert a large file (PMBOK 6th Edition from PMI) to be sent to Kindle ID

3. If anyone have below books, kindly PM me and we shall connect for transfer.

- Stock to Riches by Parag Parikh
- Rich Dad Poor Dad

TIA
Aditya
Old 21st August 2021, 23:12   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
3. If anyone have below books, kindly PM me and we shall connect for transfer.

- Stock to Riches by Parag Parikh
- Rich Dad Poor Dad
Both are available on the Kindle store for a few hundred rupees each.
Old 10th February 2022, 17:41   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This cannot be overstated. If you are in the habit reading with lights off, Kindle is phenomenal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Picked up the 'All New Kindle', with backlight since my bookshelf is overflowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Kindle is built for ONE task, and is unmatched at it.
I have a 2014 basic Kindle which has served me well over the years. It still works brilliantly but the lack of screen light has started to bother me recently. Another smaller bother is the lack of USB-C, so the older micro USB cable has to be kept handy for this device alone. I seached for kindle covers with inbuilt light, but couldn't find any on sale currently.

I am inclined towards getting a new Kindle Paperwhite but not sure what to do with the existing one. Any ideas or suggestions?
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 17:47   #799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post

I am inclined towards getting a new Kindle Paperwhite but not sure what to do with the existing one. Any ideas or suggestions?
No an ideal solution but check if you can find a clip-on reading light that is comfortable enough for you. There used to be LED based ones with adjustable brightness, not sure if they're still on the market.

If you must discard it, donate or give it away to some youngster or reading afficionado.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 19:22   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Paperwhite will indeed be a good upgrade for you.

As for the old one, if it is in decent nick, please offer it as a giveaway.

* (The Giveaway Thread: Post up anything you want to give away FREE to a fellow BHPian)

Will end up in good hands and be put to proper use.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 19:50   #801
Senior - BHPian

Bought 2x Kindle Paperwhite G11s over the last two weeks - one for my daughter and one for myself. The first thing I notice is the type-C charger. So that is 4 devices I have using the same charger (laptop, mobile, earbuds and now kindle) - charger proliferation is not happening yet.

My pinky had started hurting due to the way I was holding my mobile to read on the kindle app. Hopefully it'll recover now.

It is slightly larger than the existing G7 kindle. Rest of the improvements, I'm yet to see.

Here's a comparison table I had made prior to ordering. Amazon gave me a 10% discount for buying with a Citibank credit card.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 230
Size:  7.2 KB
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 23:30   #802
BHPian

What are your thoughts on moving from Reading to Listening? More specifically, moving from a Kindle to Audible?
Old 23rd May 2022, 04:06   #803
BHPian

Quote:
What are your thoughts on moving from Reading to Listening? More specifically, moving from a Kindle to Audible?
For fiction and biographies I use Audible. For other non-fiction I use Kindle.

Another way to think about it is if the book is dense with knowledge and I have to stop from time to time to mull over something, then I use Kindle. Also if there are charts, etc being referenced in the book. For the rest, I use Audible.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 07:56   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had tried that, and had decided audiobooks are not my thing. I listened to Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White during a trip to Chennai in my car. What I figured is that it is very difficult to stay focused when "reading" a book in this format. Initially I thought it was due to the fact that I was simultaneously performing a high-involvement activity (driving) but I tried a few more times (Ngaio Marsh's When in Rome and the others I don't remember now) while on my daily constitutional but eventually gave it up as something that won't work for me.

There were many famous narrators - Benedict Cumberbatch was among the ones I listened to, so was Stephen Fry.

I also tried radio plays downloaded off Youtube to see if that works or not. They didn't.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 08:42   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried it and did not work for me at all. Could not concentrate on the audio and also could not sustain listening for a long time. The pace was also not comfortable as when I am reading, I can slow down and speed up as I prefer.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 10:00   #806
BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying audible books on and off since some years now.

Have tried various genres - what I found was listening to fiction was never engaging, absolute waste of money.
Either the narration was not engaging, or the pace was not matching. More importantly, some paragraphs need to be re-read mulled over to appreciate them better.

Had better experience with non fiction titles, of course much of it depends on on the narrator - in addition to the content itself.

The ones that I found engaging till now were
- The Case Against Sugar-Gary Taubes
- Night - Elie Wiesel
- Our Oriental Heritage: The Story of Civilization-Will Durant
- The Science of Mindfulness: A Research-Based Path to Well-Being - Ronald Siegel
- The Psychology of Money- Morgan Housel

In general, I find the stickiness of content to be much better if read from a book. Could be because, with audio, the eye & hands are free to multi task.

Also, I wish it were possible to consolidate the audible library across audible.in and audible.com.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 14:47   #807
Team-BHP Support

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I purchased in 2014. While the device itself is working fine, touchwood, I am having a hard time finding a cover. I currently use an ProElite Auto Sleep/Wakeup cover that is peeling off.

I contracted the ProElite team and they dont now have a cover for a Kindle that old.

Any options? Need auto wakeup/sleep only.
Old 26th July 2022, 22:11   #808
BHPian

Amazon offers Audible on Kindle Devices Internationally however not in India (a big bummer in my view) Is there a way we can get it on our Indian Devices?
Old 27th July 2022, 09:41   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I purchased in 2014. While the device itself is working fine, touchwood, I am having a hard time finding a cover. I currently use an ProElite Auto Sleep/Wakeup cover that is peeling off.

I contracted the ProElite team and they dont now have a cover for a Kindle that old.

Any options? Need auto wakeup/sleep only.
Saw this listed in amazon while looking for a replacement for my 2018 kindle.
https://www.amazon.in/SwooK-Magnetic.../dp/B08VJB1CPJ
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:43   #810
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I had tried that, and had decided audiobooks are not my thing. I listened to Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White during a trip to Chennai in my car. s (Ngaio Marsh's When in Rome and the others I don't remember now) while on my daily constitutional but eventually gave it up as something that won't work for me.

Benedict Cumberbatch was among the ones I listened to, so was Stephen Fry.
Clearly Sir you are a man of fine taste and discernment. My Lord its years since I met anyone who is familiar with Wilkie Collins and Ngaio Marsh and the like!

I wonder what other common book interests we share! I will PM you.

Meanwhile, I have only experienced listening to being read to by Stephen Fry and Benedict Cumberbatch on Audible, once in 2019, when I had a blinding sinus related headache and simply could not keep my eyes open - so I lulled myself to sleep by listening to Audible. I have also, on occasion heard a few audio renditions of James Herriots All Creatures Great and Small and similar, on YouTube.

But truth be told, Audio Books arent really my ‘thing’.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks