Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 21:45   #676
BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Just a quick question, Do I need to keep the pdf's under documents folder for Kindle to recognize it ?
Old 18th October 2016, 19:50   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Just a quick question, Do I need to keep the pdf's under documents folder for Kindle to recognize it ?
Yes they need to be in the documents folder. But the formatting of the PDF might go haywire and readability might be an issue. Convert it to azw3 using Calibre or any such software and then load into the documents folder. The readability will be slightly better. But the pdf viewing/reading experience on a kindle leaves one wanting for more.
Old 30th November 2016, 15:03   #678
BHPian

Yesterday I visited Croma here in Mumbai. There is 10% discount on Paperwhite. Plus one hard cover with magnet lock (no stand or like that)costs just 70 Rupees above the MRP of Paperwhite.
I am neither avid reader nor read pure fiction for killiing time. Presently reading on kindle app on SG Note 4. I have some free books downloaded and few bought at lower price.
When asked about warranty the salesman said it is onsite. Someone here raised issue regarding warranty.
I shall keep it at home also as I have downloaded a book for children and nowadays book reading in children is almost non-existant so kindle trick may work.
What do you think?
Old 30th November 2016, 15:13   #679
BHPian

If you stick with Amazon, they go out of the way when it comes to support. When buying Amazon products, stick to their website. They keep having sale on Kindle (probably may have one more in Dec for Christmas)
Old 4th December 2016, 10:54   #680
Team-BHP Support

Great news. Kindle finally supports Indian languages. Only dampener for me is Kannada is not one of them. Hopefully it will happen soon.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/browse.html/...de=10837926031
Old 4th December 2016, 15:32   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Great news. Kindle finally supports Indian languages. Only dampener for me is Kannada is not one of them. Hopefully it will happen soon.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/browse.html/...de=10837926031
For once, i saw some kannada ebooks on internet. So if NOT in kindle, should be supported by other devices.
Old 4th December 2016, 16:41   #682
Team-BHP Support

If it is not supported by Kindle, it is pointless for me. I have 3 Kindles, and few hundred titles on it. I can't switch readers.
Old 25th December 2016, 18:38   #683
BHPian

There was an ad on tv for discount on Kindle readers on Amazon.
Old 28th January 2017, 00:11   #684
BANNED

I have some web articles saved on Pocket and Evernote. Can these be transferred and read on Kindle?
Old 28th January 2017, 04:19   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
I have some web articles saved on Pocket and Evernote. Can these be transferred and read on Kindle?
AFAIK, pocket is supported only by Kobo.
Old 28th January 2017, 16:55   #686
Senior - BHPian

It is my son's birthday this coming week; and we are gifting him a Kindle. In fact, I have ordered and received a Kindle Paperwhite. It came pre-linked to my Amazon account (!!). Since it is for a pre-teen kid I have disabled all sorts of Internet access from the device (so the only way ebooks can appear on the device is if I push them manually from a computer). I have got some books for him too, from authors he enjoys (Rick Riordan etc.).

Couple of niggles:

* All books from all my wishlists appear on the device. Need to be careful before I add something to a wishlist.

* The content store for Kindle does not have a shopping cart; you have to buy each title separately. I solved this by buying an Amazon gift voucher for myself.

(For my own reading, I use the Kindle Android app).
Old 28th January 2017, 20:36   #687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

* All books from all my wishlists appear on the device. Need to be careful before I add something to a wishlist.....
If you don't specify the Kindle as a gift, Amazon usually registers the device to the purchaser's account. Same when my wife got me one.

On the device, deregister it from your account (that should take away all your account-specific data/preferences off it) and add one for your son instead.

You can use parental controls to guard his access, but it may still be possible to use public WiFi, so check out if there's an option to disable that too.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th January 2017 at 20:39.
Old 30th January 2017, 15:44   #688
BANNED

Help with Calibre.

Hey guys, I need some help with Calibre.

Lets say- I have 3 folders on my PC - Art, Fitness, Fiction. These have the respective ebooks in them.

When I bring books into Calibre, all of them appear like a list. I know I can use tags - art fitness etc, so that only those books appear.

But, Is there an alternative way - so that I can see 3 groups of Books- Art , Fitness, Fiction, and then go into the group to view a book.
Kind of like a real world book shelf - where shelf 1 will have one category of books eg Fitness, shelf 2 can have fiction books only.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:21   #689
BHPian

Re: Help with Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Hey guys, I need some help with Calibre.

Lets say- I have 3 folders on my PC - Art, Fitness, Fiction. These have the respective ebooks in them.

When I bring books into Calibre, all of them appear like a list. I know I can use tags - art fitness etc, so that only those books appear.

But, Is there an alternative way - so that I can see 3 groups of Books- Art , Fitness, Fiction, and then go into the group to view a book.
Kind of like a real world book shelf - where shelf 1 will have one category of books eg Fitness, shelf 2 can have fiction books only.
Hey Isnt that what tags are supposed to do. File structure of Calibre is not customizable as per my understanding. This is because Calibre developers believes that their directory structure is highly standarized and optimzed for search and retrival

I normally use Tags and then on the left hand side sort it by tags and voila, i have books sorted by tags. Ofcourse, i use only 1 tag per book

Hope this helps
Old 17th February 2017, 18:11   #690
BANNED

Thanks a lot man. Yes I had figured it out after a lot of searching. And went with using tags only. And Your post also confirms that this is the only way.
1 tag per book is what I am following too.

(actually I had seen some other book manager whose UI had a bookshelf like appearance. And those shelves showed a few books on them. I was looking to have that appearance in calibre. But now I'm using "tags" in calibre and it serves my purpose just fine).

Last edited by sinhead : 17th February 2017 at 18:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks