Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-853.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2974806)
The android phone is becoming a lot of fun.

I find it useful in so many ways that I now regret buying a phone with less on-board memory.

which one do u have?

THIS IS the baap of all such softwares, and works like a charm, but only on custom roms (i know of CM7 only).

after endless pain in cleaning the internal memory of chacha daily, i am suddenly free- it is living on 2GB of internal memory :D
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1716124

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2975316)
which one do u have?

THIS IS the baap of all such softwares, and works like a charm, but only on custom roms (i know of CM7 only).

after endless pain in cleaning the internal memory of chacha daily, i am suddenly free- it is living on 2GB of internal memory :D
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1716124

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6102. Costs approx 8,500.

Have no plans of rooting or changing the o/s or upgrading it in any way whatsoever.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2975319)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6102. Costs approx 8,500.

Have no plans of rooting or changing the o/s or upgrading it in any way whatsoever.

:)

Oh okay, you dont have the ignominy of halting browsing every 5 mins because your phone ran out of internal memory, i guess :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2975365)
Oh okay, you dont have the ignominy of halting browsing every 5 mins because your phone ran out of internal memory, i guess :D

He rides a royal enfield everyday...<ducks for cover>. Sorry bblost, I just had to say it lol:

To keep this relevant now, does anyone have a list of hot android phones expected to be launched Q1 of 2013?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 2975370)
He rides a royal enfield everyday...<ducks for cover>. Sorry bblost, I just had to say it lol:

He rides an awesome (painless) cycle to work everyday - which is why I am wondering why he is hankering for not solving a problem that otherwise necessitates lots of caring and pandering for the phone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amalji (Post 2975293)
There is already a free gps navigation app ( with offline maps ) - navfree. I've tried it and It's a pretty good navigation app. :-)

Thanks for that info, wasted a lot of money on my last month Goa trip on Google Maps. Hope it works well! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhp_maniac
Yes, 8 months Warranty left. No issues so far on ICS other than the font issue I am facing with my office email. I also had some network issues on GB which got sorted out after upgrading to ics.

Regarding router, get a basic one with Wi-Fi N support. I am personally using a TP link 300Mbps one, but that was bought for streaming 720P content to my HTPC. For basic needs you can get a 150Mbps routers around 1K. Try to get router with external antenna.

Most of my issues are fixed! All I did was over write the internet settings! Google play works fine and I have downloaded quite a few apps as well:-). And to my surprise the internet is fast till now ( touch wood).

Quote:

Originally Posted by punto_ (Post 2975460)
Thanks for that info, wasted a lot of money on my last month Goa trip on Google Maps. Hope it works well! :-)

I don't understand how one can waste money on Google maps data. You can very well make and entire region offline. Even if you don't do that and let the maps download tiles as you go, it will never even make a single digit percentage of your data plan if it's like 1gb. Do you have a 'pay as you use data' plan?

Last week I visited hyderabad and before going there, I downloaded the entire city map through wifi. It wasn't even 10mb of tiles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 2975520)
I don't understand how one can waste money on Google maps data. You can very well make and entire region offline. Even if you don't do that and let the maps download tiles as you go, it will never even make a single digit percentage of your data plan if it's like 1gb. Do you have a 'pay as you use data' plan?

Last week I visited hyderabad and before going there, I downloaded the entire city map through wifi. It wasn't even 10mb of tiles.

Well, I have 2 GB plan from Docomo. I did try to download the map for the region, but I was not able to download at one go for entire Goa or even a North Goa. I have used the maps extensively all the way from Hyd to Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar - Goa - Hyderabad. I really didnt think about bill initially but now after seeing the bill, I regret it. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by punto_
Well, I have 2 GB plan from Docomo. I did try to download the map for the region, but I was not able to download at one go for entire Goa or even a North Goa. I haven't paid the bill yet as there is still sometime for the payment. I have used the maps extensively all the way from Hyd to Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar - Goa - Hyderabad. I really didnt think about bill initially but now after seeing the bill, I regret it. :Frustrati

Online maps is frustrating. The hassle free offline navigation is so convenient especially while driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 2975520)

How do I do this download thing and mark a route? Is there some guide? Sorry, very new to all this!

have a biggish trip coming up over the week-end, so this will come in handy!

PS: Am on gingerbread MIUI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by punto_ (Post 2975530)
Well, I have 2 GB plan from Docomo. I did try to download the map for the region, but I was not able to download at one go for entire Goa or even a North Goa. I have used the maps extensively all the way from Hyd to Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar - Goa - Hyderabad. I really didnt think about bill initially but now after seeing the bill, I regret it. :Frustrati

It's unlikely that Gmaps is the culprit here. I've used it on long distances (450km and 9 hours) and I barely used 60MB and that includes all other apps that were running via Auto Sync. You may wan't to drill down further and do the how and what exercise. Gmaps wouldn't be anyone's first choice if it needed anything more than 100MB per trip to run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by punto_ (Post 2975530)

Is it really Google Maps that has caused the damage? If you are on Jellybean, you can check that easily. It uses very less data that we think.

I have a 1GB data plan and I have to struggle to cross that limit by the month end, which only happened once. This is what my map usage looks like even after almost a month -

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1354119398977.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by amalji (Post 2975533)
Online maps is frustrating. The hassle free offline navigation is so convenient especially while driving.

(The legendary) Google Maps is still the BEST navigation available for me for this part of the country. Take any other navigation system, and you have a far less detailed map.

If you have offline cached map tiles in Google Maps, your phone will only use a minuscule of data while navigating. It will not even matter at all, provided you have data coverage anywhere you go - which I get almost everywhere.

I will never even think about 'buying' Maps and Navigation as long as Google Maps is there and it navigates.

I have found most android offline maps as quite crappy for some reason. The defy did a great job with the MMI-sygic combo enroute to Hemkunt saheb and Valley of Flowers, but was a fancy paperweight this time in Europe (spain/portugal) - it just would not catch any signal without data at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinu_h (Post 2975540)
It's unlikely that Gmaps is the culprit here. I've used it on long distances (450km and 9 hours) and I barely used 60MB and that includes all other apps that were running via Auto Sync. You may wan't to drill down further and do the how and what exercise. Gmaps wouldn't be anyone's first choice if it needed anything more than 100MB per trip to run.

I haven't really used anything other than the maps little bit of FB, Whats app, and emails which are most normal and basic. And my data sync has always been off. Unfortunately, I reformatted my phone and do not have the data meter results on the phone.

If the maps do not use that much data, I will need to call Docomo CC and check if I can get any information - which I am doubtful of.