Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 10:15   #871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
its galaxy 3 i5801.
Ofcourse cant be compared to galaxy s for display but whatever is there is fine.Moreover i am a bb user so. This phone is for my good friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
For 11K you cannot get better screen than in galaxy 3 i guess, Wildfire which costs 14.5k screen resolution is pretty bad compared to Galaxy 3. You know any android around 11k which has better display for this price?
Motorola Quench XT3 & LG Optimus One - both have better screens. Both these are priced just slightly above Galaxy 3, so are direct competitors.

Last edited by Raccoon : 7th December 2010 at 10:17.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:44   #872
BHPian

Is the Nexus or Nexus-S available officially in India, particularly in Hyderabad?
Old 7th December 2010, 12:12   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Is the Nexus or Nexus-S available officially in India, particularly in Hyderabad?
Nope! The phone has just been launched. It will be on sale through Best Buy by 20th of December. Nexus One was never officially sold in India so I am not sure whether the Nexus S would come to our shores.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:32   #874
BHPian

Galaxy S and SE X10

Im in search of Android wala cell phone. Shifting from nokia for the 1st time in my life.
I have narrowed down to Galaxy S and SE X10. Can someone help me finalize between theses two ?

How is the life of battery in Galaxy S ? (Samsung are known for bad battery life)

Is here any newer model coming up in near future ? (especially in nokia with android)
Old 7th December 2010, 12:47   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
Nope! The phone has just been launched. It will be on sale through Best Buy by 20th of December. Nexus One was never officially sold in India so I am not sure whether the Nexus S would come to our shores.
I have found the prices of best buy to be much higher than what it actually is. Therefore I am not sure if the phone is going to be reasonably priced. Nexus One is a pretty good, but with the other lower priced models available now in the market, I wonder of its really worth the price.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:52   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Im in search of Android wala cell phone. Shifting from nokia for the 1st time in my life.
I have narrowed down to Galaxy S and SE X10. Can someone help me finalize between theses two ?

How is the life of battery in Galaxy S ? (Samsung are known for bad battery life)

Is here any newer model coming up in near future ? (especially in nokia with android)
If cost is not a constraint, Galaxy S is surely better than the X10. X10 doesn't have multi touch and not sure when it will be updated to 2.2 ( only 2.1 update for now ).

Regarding newer models, I don't think Nokia will launch an Android phone for now. That will mean giving up on their own OS. Samsung is launching the next Galaxy phone but that will only be next year. You can also check the HTC phones.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:12   #877
BHPian

I currently have a Nokai E71 and am planning to go for Samsung Galaxy-S(SGS).

How do I copy the contacts from E71 to SGS?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 7th December 2010 at 13:27.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:16   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Nexus S. that is the newer model. atleast it will be hitting US before xmas. not sure about india.

It will be with gingerbread. And Nexus is pretty close to galaxy s. so expect a 2.3 upgrade in future for GS.

google, by releasing nexus s, which is based on GS, has made samsung a lead partner. At least for now.

So at this point for android, if you can get a "nexus s" from US in next few months, then nothing like it. second best bet is GS.

Last edited by gkrishn : 7th December 2010 at 13:18.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:21   #879
BHPian

Anybody looking to buy the SE X10 might find the link to be of interest:-

Sony Ericsson working on Froyo for XPERIA X10, coming in Q2 - GSMArena.com news
Old 7th December 2010, 13:24   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I currently have a Nokai E71 and am planning to go for Samsung Galaxy-S(SGS).

How do I need to copy the contact from E71 to SGS?

Thanks in advance.
I used to sync my Phone contacts on my E70 with Outlook 2007 frequently using PC Suite. After i got my SGS, I exported all those contacts to a CSV file and imported them to the google contacts (http://www.google.com/contacts ) . Once your contacts are on Google, you can configure your SGS to display them. And whenever you create a new contact, create it as a google contact.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:30   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
Anybody looking to buy the SE X10 might find the link to be of interest:-
officially another 6 months. umm... they could actually skip 2.2 and start working on 2.3.

Infact at that time, 3.0 or what ever that honey comb version is, will be out. It will help if google stops making so many releases is such short time.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:19   #882
BHPian

details required

Finally upgraded the Firmware to 2.2 from 2.1 for my galaxy.

can some one tell me the details of the application where it can be installed.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:45   #883
BHPian

Android 2.3 Gingerbread is here !

Android 2.3 Gingerbread is here, brings a host of new goodies !

Quote:
The Android dev team just made the latest version of the mobile platform official. Following Google's alphabetic-dessert naming convention Android 2.3 is called Gingerbread. The new version of the OS brings a host of cool new features as well as extended API support, improved performance and improved power management.

Android smartphones are frequently criticized for poor battery management so Google acted up and tried to fix that with Gingerbread. The system will now take a more active role in managing, closing them if appropriate to ensure better performance and maximum battery life.

Text selection has also been improved, making it easier for Android users to mark, copy and paste text when web browsing or texting. The standard organizer package has been updated too, though the dev team stays mum on the details.

Other end-user features supported by Android Gingerbread include Internet calling, through SIP, NFC (Near Field Communication) support and improved camera interface. The download manager has also been improved and there is now a single app that gives you an aggregated view of all your downloads (be they through email, web browser, or another app).

As usually there's also a bunch of new developers features that might not have instant effect but should lead to higher-quality apps arriving to the Android Market shortly. Enhancements are mainly connected with gaming (where better performance and sensor management, among other things are promised) and multimedia (with audio effect, extended codec support and access to the front-facing camera for third-party apps).
Video:

Source: Android 2.3 Gingerbread is here, brings a host of new goodies - GSMArena.com news

More Details:
Android 2.3 Platform Highlights | Android Developers
Old 7th December 2010, 21:54   #884
Senior - BHPian

Any one has HTC wild fire? I am planning to buy an Android phone in 15K range.
With launch of android 2.3, any possibility of price fall in these phones?

I just want to use phone for some timepass android programming. Kindly suggest me a good phone.

Also any thoughts on Dell Android phones?
Old 8th December 2010, 06:16   #885
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^ if you are programing for yourself then fine - i saw the wildfire here in Oz and its not that snappy. For what its worth, it could not load 'angry birds' the game.
If you officially want to write code and sell it on android market - then you will need to write apps for android 2.3, which means you need a phone which is android 2.3 capable - nexus one or nexus S.

Most Viewed