Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 19:35   #8281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k

if you are an average user. yes. but if you want to install many apps, most of the times you have to root, then install busy box etc, sometimes you have to change to another kernel just to support encrypted folders. And even then one can not be sure it will work. Just look at all the queries in this thread itself.

some custom roms do offer many functionalities, but again one has to research what works and what not, before taking a plunge. I think I am drifting towards fragmentation issue now.

And did you mean windows mobile or windows phone? WM is a dead platform which I am still clinging to, until I find a better alternative.
Since we are comparing android to windows as a mobile OS, I will say Android is MUCH better than WM. It got lots of useful functionalities out of the box. It got huge app & Dec support.
I can use a basic firmware for increased battery life, else I can change it to something which is super cool. And its totally different than just changing themes.

I can over clock my CPU to run faster, I can adjust CPU voltage for perfect balance between performance vs stability.

I can use dual boot to experience different firmwares.

I can change graphics libraries so that games runs a little better.

And there are many other things which I can do, keeping the Phone Same.
So what if it needs rooting, at least we can do it & the benefits are too good.

I am not sure till how many months I will enjoy a phone as a gagdet if on WP.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 21st March 2012 at 19:43.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:44   #8282
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Since we are comparing android to windows as a mobile OS, I will say Android is MUCH better than WM. It got lots of useful functionalities out of the box. It got huge app & Dec support.
I can use a basic firmware for increased battery life, else I can change it to something which is super cool. And its totally different than just changing themes.

I can over clock my CPU to run faster, I can adjust CPU voltage for perfect balance between performance vs stability.

I can use dual boot to experience different firmwares.

I can change graphics libraries so that games runs a little better.

And there are many other things which I can do, keeping the Phone Same.

I am not sure till how many months I will enjoy a phone as a gagdet if on WP.
You need all this because "out of the box" Android devices do not offer great performance (read experience!) You need to root the device to enjoy the "real" power of the system. Not even the mighty Galaxy S2 gives the same experience in stock form!

In fact upto Gingerbread stock Android itself was very bland and boring. ICS has spiced up things but unfortunately its going to take forever for it to come to our devices
Old 21st March 2012, 19:46   #8283
Senior - BHPian

@offroad_maniac You just proved that you are not an average phone user
Quick question. on average, how many hours you have spent on tweaking your current phone so far?

I am beyond average and experiment stage now. I seek productivity regardless of the platform.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:56   #8284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
if you are an average user. yes. but if you want to install many apps, most of the times you have to root, then install busy box etc, sometimes you have to change to another kernel just to support encrypted folders. And even then one can not be sure it will work. Just look at all the queries in this thread itself.

some custom roms do offer many functionalities, but again one has to research what works and what not, before taking a plunge. I think I am drifting towards fragmentation issue now.
I think vivek you are mixing many issues.
a. MOST apps don't need rooting. Busybox is installed by default. Show me 5 BHPians who have had to install it by hand for any particular app.
b. Kernel change is in most cases only for rooting. I remember that was the case for SGS2. Infact, the only time Defy+ users need it is when they initially were trying a Defy ROM (Froyo based vs Gingerbread) - whereas within 15 days they have separate ROMs eliminating the need to flash a kernel. I have never needed to do it. Its only for those who are cutting edge, or those for whom that's the only way to root it.
c. No one needs custom ROMs unless they want to change the look/feel and get more battery. Most people go the custom ROM way to speed it up/get more battery and a limited subset for the look/feel. Infact, if battery is acceptable, most users would not bother. It often has to do with the crapware loaded by default by most manufacturers!

WP gives decent battery out of the box, has lovely people integration but rather limited apps. It is not fragmented for sure.

However, the picture isnt as bad as you make it out to be. Problem is when people flash ROMs that are incompatible or simply don't follow instructions. Sometimes technology does not have a(n easy) Ctrl-Z.

Last edited by phamilyman : 21st March 2012 at 19:59.
Old 21st March 2012, 20:18   #8285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
However, the picture isnt as bad as you make it out to be. Problem is when people flash ROMs that are incompatible or simply don't follow instructions. Sometimes technology does not have a(n easy) Ctrl-Z.
A +10 to that.

When I had my first android, i took over 6 months with stock firmware to get used to the quirks of the sw. After getting used to Android and the second bigger better phone comes in - one starts explore rooting and custom ROMs and the works.

There are no regrets if one can understand the basics of flashing and follow proper instructions stated. There is another wonderful forum for that, just like this one
Old 21st March 2012, 20:34   #8286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you have used linux and have been enamored by it, you may like android. like linux it still has it's quirks, needs specific tweaks to perform even simple tasks....
Install Ubuntu. Browse web; use email; use open/libre office.

Simple tasks acomplished, no tweaking; it will even set up its own net connection. Infinite tweaking possible; no tweaking required. I've spent many unhappy hours, over the decades, trying to tweak, cajole or bully Windows into performing simple tasks.

Oh, sorry, did I say "ubuntu?" Well, OK, chose another variant where the guy in charge doesn't have a mania for changing the interface to make it look like a kid's toy --- but the current "Long-term release," 10.04, is still "intuitive" to a Windows use, out of its box.

Pick a more purist, more techiecentric distribution (Arch, maybe? I've only looked at a couple of Linuxes so far) and it may take a day or two to even get the desktop working, let alone browsing the web, but you are wrong to paint all Linux with this brush.

Quote:
The queries in this thread are from people who want to fiddle with their phones. An average user doesn't want to install many apps, and, if they do, they will be average-user-sort-of apps. Average user still wants to make phone calls, send texts, and, I suppose, because we're talking "smart" phones, get/send mail, browse, and all that stuff. If this didn't work, out of the box, without any tweaks, rooting, kernels and stuff, I doubt that Android would have made a noticeable impression on the market at all, let alone be a feature of models that people who can afford to choose actually buy in preference to iPhones?

I don't know: If Nokia hadn't sold out, I'd probably have happily bought my next Nokia. You might say that I didn't buy Android because it is android, I bought it because it is not Windows or Apple. There is some truth in that --- but I shifted to Linux in the house, so it was also a natural path.
Old 21st March 2012, 21:12   #8287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Install Ubuntu. Browse web; use email; use open/libre office.

Simple tasks acomplished, no tweaking; it will even set up its own net connection. Infinite tweaking possible; no tweaking required. I've spent many unhappy hours, over the decades, trying to tweak, cajole or bully Windows into performing simple tasks.

Oh, sorry, did I say "ubuntu?" Well, OK, chose another variant where the guy in charge doesn't have a mania for changing the interface to make it look like a kid's toy --- but the current "Long-term release," 10.04, is still "intuitive" to a Windows use, out of its box.
Relax, it was just an anology . I did say he will like android if he likes linux. I have ubuntu myself, but gave up on using it when I could not find a good messenger+driver for my webcam to chat with my parents.

Quote:
The queries in this thread are from people who want to fiddle with their phones. An average user doesn't want to install many apps, and, if they do, they will be average-user-sort-of apps. Average user still wants to make phone calls, send texts, and, I suppose, because we're talking "smart" phones, get/send mail, browse, and all that stuff. If this didn't work, out of the box, without any tweaks, rooting, kernels and stuff, I doubt that Android would have made a noticeable impression on the market at all, let alone be a feature of models that people who can afford to choose actually buy in preference to iPhones?
you are agreeing to me. for an average user, it doesn't matter.
Old 21st March 2012, 21:57   #8288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi Anil,

That's what i'm trying to say, I can replace those animation files but the replaced animation files have to be in .png format instead if a .avi or .dat or another video format. That ideally means I will hasn't to break a movie file into .png's format which is a painful job and also will have to separately extract the sound.
Does this help?

I did not try it myself and just in case you did not yet find it!

[15.02.2012][TOOL]Boot Animation Creator-Make Android Boot Animations With Ease! - xda-developers
Old 21st March 2012, 22:56   #8289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Relax, it was just an anology .
Cheers, Vivek. All those years of MS Windows hell left my nerve endings permanently sensitive. I should sue!
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:31   #8290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think vivek you are mixing many issues.
a. MOST apps don't need rooting. Busybox is installed by default. Show me 5 .........
Did you get your Chacha? Hope you got my PM telling you where you could get it for less...
Old 22nd March 2012, 00:37   #8291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You need all this because "out of the box" Android devices do not offer great performance (read experience!) You need to root the device to enjoy the "real" power of the system. Not even the mighty Galaxy S2 gives the same experience in stock form!

In fact upto Gingerbread stock Android itself was very bland and boring. ICS has spiced up things but unfortunately its going to take forever for it to come to our devices
Well, that depends on what do we exactly expect from a phone right out of the box?
Good Network reception, clear call / sound quality, better display, Easy interface/ UI, Seamless social site sync, easy Email setup & browsing, easily available apps/ games, good GPS & Navigation?
Android OS has all the above, out of the Box. Not sure where it lacks to WinMo?
Though first three are totally dependent on Hardware parts, but still it is no where lesser than on current available Windows phones.
If you think Galaxy SII is also not good in stock form, then please specify what you expect from a phone which is rated one of the best Android phone by most of the reviewers & users (In stock form itself)?

I can agree that till Froyo 2.2, there were some memory management bugs in Android OS, but as far as interface & experience is concerned, just compare Samsung's TouchWiz with HTC Sense. Though both are Android, former is kinda plain & boring, while as Sense is really class apart.

I can bet that Windows phone users will get bored pretty quickly of the current Tiles interface & they too will develop custom themes & other interface / UI, similar to Android Launchers.

Quote:
@offroad_maniac You just proved that you are not an average phone user
Quick question. on average, how many hours you have spent on tweaking your current phone so far?.
Well Vivek, Thanks, but I think I am an average phone user only.

I can assure you that I was way below average user when I first bought an Android (Defy), that being my first touch screen, smart-phone (Earlier was a nokia symbian & later linux-JAVA based ZN5).
For first few months I was only using what was provided in stock form & installed few apps & games for killing time. That was completely sufficient for my use even though gradually I started using other application like corp email sync, GPS/ maps etc.

I rooted my phone just because I know it is possible even for an Average user like me. I stated earlier points just to convey that, in Stock form, Android gives way similar, if not better, experience like windows phones IMO. (Correct me if I am missing something here). But Android, being Open Source OS has LOTS of potential w.r.t additional tweaks & customization as per our/ users choice. This may not necessarily always require rooting etc.

Dear All,
Please take no offense. I just cant understand, why suddenly the most talked about, open source mobile OS becomes so bland & boring?

(Here we are discussing MOBILE OS only, I too personally prefer Windows OS over any linux based platform as my desktop OS)
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:01   #8292
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have Galaxy S2 rooted and with ICS. I am not able to download https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dcircle.pitara . When I search for it from my phone it does not show up and when I try to install from market it says its incompatible. Can someone be kind enough to post the apk here (or PM me the link). Since its a free app I am sure I am not encouraging piracy.
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:07   #8293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil

Does this help?

I did not try it myself and just in case you did not yet find it!

[15.02.2012][TOOL]Boot Animation Creator-Make Android Boot Animations With Ease! - xda-developers
These are the steps I use to make my boot animations.
Old 22nd March 2012, 06:27   #8294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Well, that depends on what do we exactly expect from a phone right out of the box?
Good Network reception, clear call / sound quality, better display, Easy interface/ UI, Seamless social site sync, easy Email setup & browsing, easily available apps/ games, good GPS & Navigation?
Android OS has all the above, out of the Box. Not sure where it lacks to WinMo?
What about battery performance? If you are a heavy user, even S2 doesnt last the day! What good is a phone that cant last the day? but the same phone can give you double or even more life if you root. So it means that the stock phone does have some "problems" that prevent it from realizing its full potential. Same can be verified by any benchmark tool. Post rooting and flashing available ROMs, people get significant jump in scores. Stock phone's browsers also jitter and UI also lags at times. That is true for all android phones. All of them lag, this is a common known problem. Also you cannot uninstall all the crap apps that come with the phone out of the box. A lot of them unneccesarily hog system resources like battery/memory. Also you cannot underclock or overclock stock phones. These are valid problems dont you think?

And yes even S2 is not good enough in stock form in my opinion. Touchwiz doesnt help, it only hinders its marvellous hardware. I wish manufacturers gave an option to use stock Android. This way at least we would be free of lot of crapware there and also get updates as soon as Google provided them.

I have an HTC Sensation that used to crash every now and then. Last month finally got rid of the nonSense interface and switched to Go Launcher. Now it is noticably better (only crashed once in more than a month).

Last edited by joslicx : 22nd March 2012 at 06:30.
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:42   #8295
Distinguished - BHPian

This is definitely OT for this thread but may be guru's here can help.

I have a device that collects certain information and then transmits it over the air using GPRS connection. The device allows me to set APN, UserID and Password but no proxy server or port.

Can I use any syntax to enter APN name and proxy in one filed itself?

Most Viewed