Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 16:42   #9091
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have been an Android user until i won a Windows Phone, and i feel Windows has upped their game in the mobile market.

Their UI is so different compared to ios and android, main reason is cuz the Apps are live. It brings back the fun in a phone all over again.

Take a look, maybe even you can win a Nokia phone :https://www.facebook.com/WindowsPhon...app_data=12114
Old 15th May 2012, 18:20   #9092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi guys..Need some help. I want to buy an android phone for my father. Budget is 16k-20k and is flexible.
Do check out the Motorola Atrix 2. Its super VFM!
Specs are great -
4.3'' qHD display
1 ghz Dual core Cortex A9 processor with 1 GB RAM
8 GB internal memory, micro SD slot
1785 mAh battery
8 MP primary and .3 MP front cam
Full HD recording

Downer(s) - Its still on GB :( and no official announcement about the ICS update. Another thing I am unsure of is the picture quality on the Atrix. If anyone owns it, please do comment on it.

Actually, even I am looking for a replacement of my aging droid. Waiting anxiously for the Xperia P.
Old 15th May 2012, 18:28   #9093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Downer(s) - Its still on GB :( and no official announcement about the ICS update. Another thing I am unsure of is the picture quality on the Atrix. If anyone owns it, please do comment on it.

Actually, even I am looking for a replacement of my aging droid. Waiting anxiously for the Xperia P.
There is an official announcement for the Atrix 2. ICS is coming Q3 if Moto keep their word.

On the camera part, outside shots are nice and clear. Indoor / low light shots aren't that great. The video recording is really good though. It records in 1080p.

Overall a great phone for the price, although mine now has a stuck pixel and i've not been able to get rid of it... yet. Not much of a bother, but its just that i know its there..!

GB does not support dual core operation very well, which results in the second core being idle most of the time. ICS should work really well. Can't wait..!!
Old 15th May 2012, 18:46   #9094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
There is an official announcement for the Atrix 2. ICS is coming Q3 if Moto keep their word.
Ah! maybe I missed it. Glad to hear that.

Quote:
On the camera part, outside shots are nice and clear. Indoor / low light shots aren't that great.
Thanks for the feedback! Also, if you have access to the SE Xperia Neo, how would you rate the pics in comparison to that?

Quote:
Overall a great phone for the price, although mine now has a stuck pixel and i've not been able to get rid of it... yet. Not much of a bother, but its just that i know its there..!
That's bad. I think I read about it a few pages back, and you were to take it to the SC, any development on that front?

Quote:
GB does not support dual core operation very well, which results in the second core being idle most of the time. ICS should work really well. Can't wait..!!
Absolutely! Eagerly waiting for the dual-cores to get ICS, would take a final call then!
Old 15th May 2012, 19:20   #9095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice

Do check out the Motorola Atrix 2. Its super VFM!.
I did check that out. However my father is not keen on buying a Motorola because he has previously owned a motorola phone and he did not have a good experience with it. I like Atrix and will certainly try to explain these points to my dad too. Another negative for him might be the phone size. It might be a little too big for him. I will tell him to personally check it out. Any othet suggestions?
Old 15th May 2012, 19:29   #9096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

I did check that out. However my father is not keen on buying a Motorola because he has previously owned a motorola phone and he did not have a good experience with it. I like Atrix and will certainly try to explain these points to my dad too. Another negative for him might be the phone size. It might be a little too big for him. I will tell him to personally check it out. Any othet suggestions?
If you can then get the Google nexus from USA. You can get it for about 20k. Peach of a phone for that price and the best thing is it does not look too big as there are no hardware buttons and it runs official ICS so will always be up-to-date. Think about it.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:32   #9097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi guys..Need some help. I want to buy an android phone for my father. Budget is 16k-20k and is flexible.
HTC Sensation Price in India | Z710e Specifications, Features and Reviews

Ticks most of your boxes and is built to last.and first time Android users cannot go wrong with HTC.

Also if you are looking for sub-20k phones

HTC Incredible S Price in India | S710E Specifications, Features and Reviews

HTC Desire S Price in India | S510e Specifications, Features and Reviews
Old 15th May 2012, 20:38   #9098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
ohh. Mea culpa.
I thought you are referring the whole back panel. Even I am not sure if the rear plate is pure metal or a faux metal finish plastic. But the build quality is really good.
BTW, I think now the back panel does not have that dotted effect. It is now more like a soft touch plastic (Matte finish one). Please check with actual shop.
Yeah I think you are right. I saw a dummy phone at Mobile store and it wasnt the dotted one. I really liked the dotted one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hi there,

I too am planning to buy an Explorer as my first Android. I am currently on the ancient but still reliable Symbian platform which I have been using for 3 years.

I am planning to keep my new phone for at least 2 years and do hope that HTC doesn't let me down.
A friend of mine tells me that the Explorer is prone to problems with the screen, ie the touch will eventually stop working. Is it true??

And yes, 9.3k is a ripoff for the Explorer, you can get it for 8k from tradus.in.

Linky - HTC Explorer Mobile Phone, Price, Features, Specifications, Reviews | Tradus
Dude I have no idea about the problems. If they are true I better have to stay away from the explorer because I cant take anymore faulty phones. I am fed of going to service centers. i want a hassle free phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
If you want something that performs a bit better get the Optimus Net instead. AF cam, 1500 mAh battery are the main advantages. Won't comment about the proccy despite clock speed of Net being higher by 200 MHz, as they both use different chipsets. Net also seems to have a scratch resistant screen. Not sure about the Explorer. Display quality of the Net also seems bit better than Explorer. However, if build quality and outer looks are more important, go for the Explorer.

Try Buytheprice and Tradus (in that order) for lower prices. 9,300 is way high as everyone has mentioned.
LG?? Are you sure ? Never realy thought they made good phones. Camera wont be an issue because if everything goes well I will get my HTC Titan 2 in a couple of months. It has 16MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
If you dont want to go for Sony Walkman Live then explorer is good. It is even faster than Wildfire S as it has latest ARM v7 processor. And the HTC sense is awesome. One of my friend has Explorer and I have used it and thats why I am asking you to go for it. One biggest con in Sony Walkman is lack of Smart dialing. And screen resolution of Optimus Net and Explorer is same.
Thanks a lot. I really dont want to go for the SE.
Old 16th May 2012, 02:26   #9099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
LG?? Are you sure ? Never realy thought they made good phones. Camera wont be an issue because if everything goes well I will get my HTC Titan 2 in a couple of months. It has 16MP
Quite sure. In its price range, its possibly the best choice if you want an Android. Its not at all a looker; in fact it is one of the most boring designs I'v seen, so buy it if performance is more important than looks. LG service is also relatively good - they try to fix it in front of you in their 1 hr service. If that does not work, they can keep it for 7 days. If not fixed in 7 days for whatever reason, you are entitled to replacement. At least thats how it was last year, when I experienced it. Got a loaner phone too.

I'd suggest Net over Explorer, if looks and build are less important.
Old 16th May 2012, 06:11   #9100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Quite sure. In its price range, its possibly the best choice if you want an Android. Its not at all a looker; in fact it is one of the most boring designs I'v seen, so buy it if performance is more important than looks. LG service is also relatively good - they try to fix it in front of you in their 1 hr service. If that does not work, they can keep it for 7 days. If not fixed in 7 days for whatever reason, you are entitled to replacement. At least thats how it was last year, when I experienced it. Got a loaner phone too.

I'd suggest Net over Explorer, if looks and build are less important.
Actually I dont like the looks of the Net and build quality is definitely important. Please tell me whether HTC phones actually last a long time or not because I will be keeping it for a minimum 2-3 years.

P.S: I think Tradus offers the lowest price but they may not provide the headphones.

Last edited by Pancham : 16th May 2012 at 06:13.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:03   #9101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

Actually I dont like the looks of the Net and build quality is definitely important. Please tell me whether HTC phones actually last a long time or not because I will be keeping it for a minimum 2-3 years.
LG Optimus one sold millions. Please google up

Saanil,
It's between atrix, sensation, and the Omnia w. For a non geek, wp rocks. Read the recent interview of marko ahtisaari and the idea of glance -ability
Old 16th May 2012, 09:58   #9102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Also, if you have access to the SE Xperia Neo, how would you rate the pics in comparison to that?
Atrix 2 is a great phone at the price range. I've had a chance to play around with one for couple days. Outdoor shots are almost similar to Neo, even though not of higher quality. But in low light, Atrix 2 camera is a pain IMO compared to Neo. The Exmor R sensor on Neo works its charm in low light. I am not saying Neo gives exceptional quality, but for me Neo low light shots are definitely "usable" if you got what I meant
Old 16th May 2012, 10:04   #9103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For a non geek, wp rocks. Read the recent interview of marko ahtisaari and the idea of glance -ability
Sorry for the following noon question. I am planning to migrate to either android or windows phone for the first time. I make a lot of voip calls to India when I am abroad. Will voip calls be supported in windows phone? Also, is skype supported in windows phone? Specs and price Samsung omnia windows phone is just too good. Other than too many apps in android phones, will I be really missing something in windows phone?
Old 16th May 2012, 10:18   #9104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups

Sorry for the following noon question. I am planning to migrate to either android or windows phone for the first time. I make a lot of voip calls to India when I am abroad. Will voip calls be supported in windows phone? Also, is skype supported in windows phone? Specs and price Samsung omnia windows phone is just too good. Other than too many apps in android phones, will I be really missing something in windows phone?
Things you will like in windows phone
-zippy interface
-Metro UI
-snapdragon 1.4ghz processor as standard on both high and low end phones
-skype and tango are now available for windows phone but i dont have idea about other voip softwares.
-fast SNS integration
-Unified inbox
-live tiles

Things you will dislike in windows phone
-file transfer only via zune on pc and mac
-no bluetooth file transfer or contact transfer however you can pair bluetooth devices such as your car
-songs cant be downloaded OTA to play in music player
However some other apps are there with which you can download the songs but they can be played only within that app and not in music player.
- battery life is sometimes questionable

Android phones are better that way.

Disclaimer- i have phones with both the OSes and not an android or wp fan boy
Old 16th May 2012, 13:19   #9105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Saanil,
It's between atrix, sensation, and the Omnia w. For a non geek, wp rocks. Read the recent interview of marko ahtisaari and the idea of glance -ability
What do you think about LG Optimus black? It looks like a nice phone with decent specs at a decent price. It does not have the brand of sony or samsung though. I am also waiting for Xperia Sola and Galaxy Advance. I think prices of Atrix 2 and Optimus will fall. I am thinking of waiting a few more days.

I also saw galaxy nexus at Alfa. The black model was available for 23.5k. The only issue is that it does not have warranty as it is not officially launched in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks