Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 08:59   #9331
BHPian

OTA firmware update on Galaxy S2 - I9100

Has anybody ever used the option of Check for Update option under Settings on Galaxy S2 I9100 successfully, i.e. Settings -> About Phone -> Software Update.? Whenever I use this option, I used to get a message "Connection Failed", but whenever I tried it on my other phone Galaxy Y Pro Duos phone (B5512), couple of times, it said there is a firmware update available which I updated and other times, it showed no update available.

Can't we check for the availability of firmware OTA for Galaxy S2 (I9100)? Is this option available only through Kies? Please confirm if I'm missing any settings or any other option in S2. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 30th May 2012 at 09:00.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:11   #9332
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: OTA firmware update on Galaxy S2 - I9100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Has anybody ever used the option of Check for Update option under Settings on Galaxy S2 I9100 successfully, i.e. Settings -> About Phone -> Software Update.? Whenever I use this option, I used to get a message "Connection Failed", but whenever I tried it on my other phone Galaxy Y Pro Duos phone (B5512), couple of times, it said there is a firmware update available which I updated and other times, it showed no update available.

Can't we check for the availability of firmware OTA for Galaxy S2 (I9100)? Is this option available only through Kies? Please confirm if I'm missing any settings or any other option in S2. Thanks in advance.
I also tried initially like this on my S2, but OTA update does not show any update available. Only when I connected to Kies, does it show the firmware upgrade availability and then it starts the update. It would be best to do it like this only with Kies and preferably with a USB cable as then the connection to the phone will be more reliable and less chances of dropping during the upgrade process, which takes around 1 hour as the firmware download is 220MB.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 30th May 2012, 09:33   #9333
BHPian

Mukeshgoel. Thanks for confirming that a backup is not required. Saves a lot of hassles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159
You are referring to looks only or specs included?
I am referring to the looks only obviously. The phone is a design nightmare and if you have seen Engadgets review of S3 they have mentioned it and in the end of the review they state that HOX is a better phone that they would buy over S3.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:58   #9334
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
This just in. Galaxy s3 price 37.4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hu ha ha ha,so it should retail at around 35k. So price of note also should go down.
TFS.
Expect it to stabilize at around 30k to 32k within 2 months of its release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Do we need to back up? I mean do we lose some data or we can just update normally over the air. The data and homescreen layout will remain same na?
No need for backup when doing through KIES, though its recommended incase if anything goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One more good addition which I discovered in the official ICS update for the S2 is the ability to take screenshots by holding down the volume down and power button for 3sec. Looks like they have finally started giving features by popular demand!
This was already existing in 2.3.3 and 2.3.6. I suppose its the power + home button combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Has anybody ever used the option of Check for Update option under Settings on Galaxy S2 I9100 successfully, i.e. Settings -> About Phone -> Software Update.? Whenever I use this option, I used to get a message "Connection Failed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It would be best to do it like this only with Kies and preferably with a USB cable as then the connection to the phone will be more reliable and less chances of dropping during the upgrade process, which takes around 1 hour as the firmware download is 220MB.
When 2.3.6 was released, I tried many times through KIES but in vain to update my phone. The OTA update is a disaster for S2. It never works and KIES has been troublesome. Then I went the rooting way to flash the phone manually with the official firmware. More information in here for the G variant:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1679636

For the regular variant, it has not been updated yet in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1544487

Last edited by _raVan_ : 30th May 2012 at 10:18.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:08   #9335
Senior - BHPian

I just finished upgrading to ICS Slim-3.8 on my Galaxy S I9000. So far so good.
The best thing with custom ROMS is that you can get rid of many system bloatware and customise the look and feel.
I have earlier used AOKP upto Milestone 5 , CM9 and TeamICSSGS upto RC4.1.
I have liked Slim ICS so far. And get good battery life of upto 2 days with normal usage. I also use the inverted Gapps, so message application, gmail, Gtalk, contacts, calendar, Call register all come with black background with blue font. Looks cool..
Old 30th May 2012, 11:15   #9336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Expect it to stabilize at around 30k to 32k within 2 months of its release.
Even better, I am gunning for Galaxy note, the lower the price of S3, the lower the price of note will go.
do you think its a valid assumption ?
Old 30th May 2012, 11:25   #9337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even better, I am gunning for Galaxy note, the lower the price of S3, the lower the price of note will go.
I think Samsung will sell Note and S3 side-by-side. Personally, I dont think S3's pricing will affect the Note's pricing as Note has earned a good name amongst buyers due to its huge screen. Maybe Samsung is planning something else to do with Note, like they did with S2 by introducing the G variant.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:42   #9338
BHPian

Have any of you SII/Gnex/Note users installed the galaxy S3 addon pack?
Old 30th May 2012, 12:19   #9339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I think Samsung will sell Note and S3 side-by-side. Personally, I dont think S3's pricing will affect the Note's pricing as Note has earned a good name amongst buyers due to its huge screen. Maybe Samsung is planning something else to do with Note, like they did with S2 by introducing the G variant.
If you look at samsung device pricing, whenever a new version comes, price drops drastically. For example, SII at 26K now from some retailers. 2 weeks back a friend bought it for 27K.

As for note, the price has been holding steady. 32500 - 3% discount from most reailers(big brand showrooms).
You get a samsung flip case + sennheiser headphones with 3450 mrp

It will fall, but not by much, since the note is a niche device. When Note II comes, it will fall, but till then expect a 1-1.5K fall at max.

World over Note has attracted a certain kind of buyer, and currently, note has no competition.

For example, I cannot buy a SIII or any other such high end device now. When its time for my note to go, it has to be replaced by a note successor, and not anything else.
Old 30th May 2012, 12:24   #9340
BHPian

^^^i agree with tsk1979. i think the price wars would be between the HOX and SIII but the sales of the Note wouldn't be cannibalized. It caters to a very niche segment. Hopefully both the HOX and SIII would come down to the 30K range soon, and the remaining dual cores would start coming into the 20K-22K range....

In fact, once the Note II comes in, that should come at the same price as the SIII and HOX now. about 37K-38K, provided it is upgraded along the similar lines as them.

Incidentally, the HTC Sync Manager is out for One series. Lets see if this one is as good as a previous gen (Nokia) PC suite.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 30th May 2012 at 12:27.
Old 30th May 2012, 14:10   #9341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Have any of you SII/Gnex/Note users installed the galaxy S3 addon pack?
What is that? How do we do it?
Old 30th May 2012, 15:44   #9342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When its time for my note to go, it has to be replaced by a note successor, and not anything else.
Unrelated query tsk, but I noticed you use a Note, hence asking.

Have you got Outlook calendar (on your PC) sync to Note working ?
If yes, please share how.

I am unable to get this working via Kies.
And am reluctant to go the gmail way.

Thanks

lazy
Old 30th May 2012, 16:39   #9343
BHPian

Sony launches two new water-proof phones, some competition to Defy(+) finally.

Introducing Xperia

Key features

Xperia go
  • 3.5” Reality Display powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine gives razor sharp clarity
  • 5MP fast capture camera goes from sleep to snap in just over a second
  • Scratch resistant mineral glass display with wet finger tracking
  • Highest level of dust and water resistance in a smartphone – IP67 Rating
  • 1Ghz dual core processor gives consumers super fast performance
  • Launching on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
  • Available in black, white and yellow colours
Xperia acro S
  • 4.3” 720p HD Reality Display powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine gives razor sharp clarity
  • 12MP fast capture camera goes from sleep to snap in just over a second with a single key press
  • PlayStation™ Certified
  • Full 1080p HD video recording and 720p HD front camera
  • Scratch resistant mineral glass display with wet finger tracking
  • IP55 and IP57 Ratings for dust and water resistance
  • 1.5Ghz dual core processor gives consumers super fast performance
  • Launching on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
  • Available in black, white and pink colours
Old 30th May 2012, 16:42   #9344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
What is that? How do we do it?

Galaxy S3 Add-on Pack for Galaxy S i9000 and Galaxy S2 i9100

And its touchwiz5, the article incorrectly states it as touchwiz4

For the Galaxy S, and the Galaxy S2, you have to download the one with blue button, with this text: Galaxy S/S+/Nexus S: TWICS-CM9-Nightly-Addon... So, download the correct file.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:44   #9345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Galaxy S3 Add-on Pack for Galaxy S i9000 and Galaxy S2 i9100

And its touchwiz5, the article incorrectly states it as touchwiz4

For the Galaxy S, and the Galaxy S2, you have to download the one with blue button, with this text: Galaxy S/S+/Nexus S: TWICS-CM9-Nightly-Addon... So, download the correct file.
So will it work on the Note? Is it anything over and above the stock ICS for the note?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks