Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
How does the navigation works w/o magnetometer? As there is no compass
Its works using GPS satellites.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how%20does%20GP...igation%20work
Old 15th April 2013, 11:23   #14537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I know gps, but there is difference between plain route showing with turns n all & proper compass based navigation.
Say if you miss a turn the navigation arrow will point you to missed turn for few secs then it will search for alternate route. Then again this is a bit slow on my canvas HD, as GPS does not locks satellite easily.

You can compare the navigation to any other phone with magnetometer to knwo what I am trying to say.

BTW, can you plese let me know the tweaks to get faster fix on gps
Old 15th April 2013, 11:30   #14538
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
How does the navigation works w/o magnetometer? As there is no compass
Why should navigation NOT work without compass?
The bearing can be obtained by the GPS signals (of course when we are on the move, otherwise for stationary objects we do require a magnet - but then this is moot since we will require navigation when we are on the move, and not when we are lying on the bed) ... I have HTC explorer which doesn't come with magnetometer. Never faced any problem in the turn by turn voice/visual navigation.

Besides using magnetometer in a car (for navigation) doesn't make much sense. The car is primarily iron, which distorts the earth's magnetic field especially INSIDE the car!

Last edited by alpha1 : 15th April 2013 at 11:34.
Old 15th April 2013, 11:36   #14539
BHPian

Quote:
I know gps, but there is difference between plain route showing with turns n all & proper compass based navigation.
Say if you miss a turn the navigation arrow will point you to missed turn for few secs then it will search for alternate route. Then again this is a bit slow on my canvas HD, as GPS does not locks satellite easily.

You can compare the navigation to any other phone with magnetometer to knwo what I am trying to say.

BTW, can you plese let me know the tweaks to get faster fix on gps
I dont have A116 but this applies to any android :
Before you try fixes you should ensure that A-GPS and EPO assistance are on and EPO file info is downloaded before you try to acquire a fix. This will ensure you get a quick fix with lesser number of satellites than minimum required.

The issue in A116 seems to be with software. I googled and found some comments on this page
http://igyaan.in/Mobile_Phones-detai...vas-hd-review/
"The A-GPS on the Micromax A116 Canvas HD works well and will triangulate you on a map,"

"Download an application from google playstore called gps fix. intsall gps fix and click on fix and after it is completed , open gps and try to locate, if not working try rebooting the phone and try if still not working try gps fix once more. 90% it will work. actually it is a software problem in canvas hd."
Old 15th April 2013, 12:00   #14540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Has anyone tried Facebook Home on Galaxy Note? I tried installing it from Play Store, but I get an error code stating that my Galaxy Note - N7000 does not support the Home App :(

My Android Version is 4.1.2 XXLSE

Attachment 1073857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Facebook home has been released only on certain devices such as HTC One, Htc first and samsung S3. It has not yet been released for the galaxy note
It can be installed if your phone is rooted. Your device name should be included in the list of devices in the build.prop file.

Or, there is a patch available (Google/XDA) which can be installed which does not do a device check and can be installed on all phones. But you'll have to uninstall Facebook and Facebook Messenger from your phone and install the new patched Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Facebook Home apps.

Honestly, after reading the reviews and seeing the hands-on video, it's not worth all the trouble.
Old 15th April 2013, 12:28   #14541
BHPian

Dear Mods: plese delete. Repost.

Quote:

Before you try fixes you should ensure that A-GPS and EPO assistance are on and EPO file info is downloaded before you try to acquire a fix. This will ensure you get a quick fix with lesser number of satellites than minimum required.

The issue in A116 seems to be with software. I googled and found some comments on this page
"The A-GPS on the Micromax A116 Canvas HD works well and will triangulate you on a map,"

"Download an application from google playstore called gps fix. intsall gps fix and click on fix and after it is completed , open gps and try to locate, if not working try rebooting the phone and try if still not working try gps fix once more. 90% it will work. actually it is a software problem in canvas hd."
Thanks.
Will try that out. I also use Ulysses speedometer to check the normal info & actual top speed, but compared to my Defy, the Canvas HD dont get proper lock on GPS sats. Hope that is sorted out with above fix.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th April 2013 at 12:43. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 15th April 2013, 13:13   #14542
BHPian

Quote:

Another application which can be used to acquire GPS fix sooner, is "GPS Status", when you connect to internet it will download the information about the satellites, daily you can schedule it to download the information.
Old 15th April 2013, 14:36   #14543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Has anyone tried Facebook Home on Galaxy Note? ...
From what I read, only someone who puts Facebook before all else in life would want to have anything to do with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Why should navigation NOT work without compass?

Besides using magnetometer in a car (for navigation) doesn't make much sense. The car is primarily iron, which distorts the earth's magnetic field especially INSIDE the car!
The compass doesn't do so badly inside a car. It is very useful when, rather than full navigation, one just want to know which direction to go without waiting for GPS application to start up and get a fix. I would not like to have a phone without a compass.

I think that direction and motion sensors in the phone augment GPS navigation, allowing the device to keep an idea of where it is during short periods of poor or absent signal. I doubt that it would be up to extended "dead reckoning" navigation.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:04   #14544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

I had Paranoid android earlier from ICS till helly bean version. But then I needed SNote functionality and thus had to come back to the stock samsung rom...
Partha, have a look at speedmod kernel. It is available here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2181599

This works with the stock jellybean rom. Battery lasts longer and project butter really feels like butter. PM me if you need any help.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130415_150226.png
Views: 559
Size:  61.6 KB
Old 15th April 2013, 15:17   #14545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I think that direction and motion sensors in the phone augment GPS navigation, allowing the device to keep an idea of where it is during short periods of poor or absent signal. I doubt that it would be up to extended "dead reckoning" navigation.

Dead reckoning would demonstrate the accuracy of the magnetometer and accelerometer.

Is there an app for it?
Old 15th April 2013, 15:39   #14546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Partha, have a look at speedmod kernel. It is available here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2181599

This works with the stock jellybean rom. Battery lasts longer and project butter really feels like butter. PM me if you need any help.
I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the screen time?
2. Are you on 2G/3G? Is data on full time?
Old 15th April 2013, 16:19   #14547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the screen time?
2. Are you on 2G/3G? Is data on full time?
1.Screen time would be about 20min/hour, almost 240 minutes per day.
2. I am on wi fi from morning to night. Switch off wi fi at night.
3G is always enabled and wi fi is always on. So when i leave wi fi range at home, 3G starts.
This was without playing any games. If i play real racing3, the battery goes flat in 5-6 hours.
Old 15th April 2013, 16:45   #14548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From what I read, only someone who puts Facebook before all else in life would want to have anything to do with this.
Not necessarily! There are many people like me out here who just wanna technically experiment the whole new platform that Facebook has come up with. Beyond that, you always have the uninstall button

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th April 2013 at 16:46.
Old 15th April 2013, 17:49   #14549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here is the video of the navigation using MMX 116. Credit goes to the person who shot the video.

Old 15th April 2013, 19:46   #14550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The compass doesn't do so badly inside a car. It is very useful when, rather than full navigation, one just want to know which direction to go without waiting for GPS application to start up and get a fix. I would not like to have a phone without a compass.
Isn't easier to just fix a real compass in your car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks