Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 20:42   #16891
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Recently facing one issue, my Galaxy Note 2 flash light is not working when using camera, used torch app to see if the flash is having issue, but after restarting it is working. Not sure what application is causing the flash driver issue. Anyone has faced this ?
Old 11th November 2013, 20:52   #16892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
In that case doesn't make much sense for me to go for a Note 3.
It would be criminal in this age to spend 30k and still not get a FHD (1080p) screen!

Believe me, its a reason enough to consider note 3 (other reasons jotted by amit notwithstanding). I have a 1080p phone now (the Xperia Z1) and its miles better than earlier gen 720p phones. The biggest factor in smartphones is the quality of the interface provided by the screen and the FHD screens really deliver there (more so for the larger 5 inch phones and phablets)

Anyway its your money but I wouldnt buy a previous gen phone now for that kind of money.
Old 12th November 2013, 00:05   #16893
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
It would be criminal in this age to spend 30k
Even I found it quite steep now that the new model is out.

Quote:
and still not get a FHD (1080p) screen!
I'm not sure what that means so I'll have to check out both the phones side by side to see the difference.

Quote:
Believe me, its a reason enough to consider note 3 (other reasons jotted by amit notwithstanding). I have a 1080p phone now (the Xperia Z1) and its miles better than earlier gen 720p phones. The biggest factor in smartphones is the quality of the interface provided by the screen and the FHD screens really deliver there (more so for the larger 5 inch phones and phablets)
Let me see how much I'm getting for my S3 and wife's iPhone 4 and see how much extra I need to put in for the Note 3 + my phone. Maybe a Note 3 and a Note 2 / Nexus 5 if I get a good deal since I'm buying 2 phones.

Quote:
Anyway its your money but
That's why I posted here so the experts can help me make an informed choice.

Quote:
I wouldnt buy a previous gen phone now for that kind of money.
Hope they drop the prices of the Note 2 in which case it may be worth it.
Old 12th November 2013, 04:50   #16894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I'm not sure what that means so I'll have to check out both the phones side by side to see the difference.
Can someone help me understand how their human eyes are able to consistently distinguish 300 PPI with 440 PPI. I can definitely imagine seeing a difference in viewing some HD videos, but not in most regular usage.
Old 12th November 2013, 06:19   #16895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Can someone help me understand how their human eyes are able to consistently distinguish 300 PPI with 440 PPI. I can definitely imagine seeing a difference in viewing some HD videos, but not in most regular usage.
The 5.5+ inch phablets are not at 300ppi at 720p resolution. Note2 is around 217ppi if I remember correctly.

Note3 at FHD resolution is around 340ppi.

In regular usage also you can make out (while playing games or reading text as it is so much sharper). Also another usage is viewing pictures.

And who says 300ppi is the benchmark for human eyesight limits ? (answer - a particular fruit company). Companies are already working on 500+ ppi screens for next gen phones!
Old 12th November 2013, 09:24   #16896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note2 is around 217ppi if I remember correctly.
It is 267 ppi for the Note 2.
Old 12th November 2013, 09:54   #16897
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick question to all. I'm using Note 2 with my BSNL connection and Nokia Asha 311 with my AIRTEL connection. Due to pathetic service network of BSNL in my area, I plan to exchange the networks on phone. My question is, will I have to install everything again on my Note 2 after changing from BSNL to AIRTEL? I guess i'll have to reset Whats app but anything else that I need to do? I'm also using ICICI banking app, do I need to do something for it also? Please answer quickly as I intend to do it today itself. I'm pissed off with BSNL network. :-|
Old 12th November 2013, 10:01   #16898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
A quick question to all. I'm using Note 2 with my BSNL connection and Nokia Asha 311 with my AIRTEL connection. Due to pathetic service network of BSNL in my area, I plan to exchange the networks on phone. My question is, will I have to install everything again on my Note 2 after changing from BSNL to AIRTEL? I guess i'll have to reset Whats app but anything else that I need to do? I'm also using ICICI banking app, do I need to do something for it also? Please answer quickly as I intend to do it today itself. I'm pissed off with BSNL network. :-|
I don't think you will need to install everything again including the ICICI banking app since the phone number is going to be the same. Only Whats app might need re-installation and re-activation.
Old 12th November 2013, 10:46   #16899
Senior - BHPian

Whatsapp will work independent of SIM. Just that your texts will be sent using the old no.

ICICI App will work only on the registered mobile number.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th November 2013 at 10:48.
Old 12th November 2013, 11:07   #16900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I guess i'll have to reset Whats app but anything else that I need to do?
If you update to newest version of whatsapp, you don't have to go through whole reinstallation process. In the settings, they have added one option to change phone number.
Old 12th November 2013, 14:01   #16901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Whatsapp will work independent of SIM. Just that your texts will be sent using the old no.

ICICI App will work only on the registered mobile number.
No it would work for a while and later you would be asked to re verify your number.
Old 12th November 2013, 23:43   #16902
Senior - BHPian

Why do people say Nexus devices are first to get Android OS updates? I have the Nexus 7 (2012 ed.) and its still on JB4.3 only. Isint the Kitkat 4.4 out there already on Nexus devices? So disappointing.
Old 12th November 2013, 23:55   #16903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do people say Nexus devices are first to get Android OS updates? I have the Nexus 7 (2012 ed.) and its still on JB4.3 only. Isint the Kitkat 4.4 out there already on Nexus devices? So disappointing.
Kitkat is an exception and will be available exclusively on Nexus 5 for a shot period of time.
Old 13th November 2013, 00:01   #16904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
No it would work for a while and later you would be asked to re verify your number.
Are you sure? I guess that happens only when you try to install whatsapp with the same number on a different phone.
Old 13th November 2013, 00:18   #16905
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like they got all busy trying to release KitKat on the Halloween day in the US and hence couldn't get other devices on KitKat as soon. Even the KitKat build on Nexus 5 is not really polished. The camera software is slow and inconsistent so is battery life. My Nexus 5 came loaded with a pre-production build and it asked me to do system update even before I setup the phone (even before I provide my Google account details). That means their KitKat build wasn't ready when Nexus 5 went into production.

I think they'll release it in a couple weeks for Nexus 4, 7 and 10.

Most Viewed